Air control unit broken and can't find replacement

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dingosteeda
In Neutral

Air control unit broken and can't find replacement

Post by dingosteeda »

I am new to the forums and the Subaru world, but have been searching and reading the forums since I bought my 1990 legacy a few months ago. It is a project car with some minor issues that have been getting fixed, but my biggest issue that is stumping me is I cannot get ac/heat to work at all.

I have pulled parts from the systems to test if they are working or not. I pulled the blower motor and it is fine, tested the blower motor resistor and it is fine, pulled the blower motor relay and it is fine, yet I have nothing at all coming from the system. I have been testing everything with a multimeter to check for continuity and power to these parts.

The control unit has been pulled as well and it receives power signal from a few of the wires, but it has no response when pushing buttons or ever having the lights coming on. I am thinking if that is broken and making the system not blow air in any way, but am unsure of how to test the continuity on it.

I have looked online as well and cannot find any air control units in order to even replace it for my car, all I can find is the outback ones from a newer body style. Has anyone seen these for sale anywhere used or know something that I can do to properly test mine?
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Air control unit broken and can't find replacement

Post by rallyak »

I would check the solder joints on the back of the hvac controller, 90-91s are notorious for solder cracks and all you need to do is touch them with a iron.

Here’s a link: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1142
And one more: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1142&start=75
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

So I went ahead and took mine all apart and soldered all the connection points to the plug and the buttons all now work, but it doesn't feel like it's as cold as it was before. The air before would kick on and off randomly (fixed by hitting the dash most of the time) and it would blow strong sometimes, but not cold air. Other times it would blow so cold it would freeze me out and I'd have to turn the air down to 1.

Now it's blowing all the time and consistently and it'll switch between hot and cold coming out of the vents, but it's just not cold like it was before. Is it not kicking on the compressor or something? Likely today will be the real test after work since I just did it last night and it'll be crazy hot. Is there anything I should try though?
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Well, my woman asked if maybe the arm wasn't returning all the way to the coldest position and sure enough I just left too much slack in the cable's connection/disconnection point under the glove box. The little gold bracket has a groove that it fits into that I just missed. I ended up getting caught in the rain so I tried to just throw that part back together quickly so I wouldn't get soaked and must have missed it. Figured my dumb mistake could help someone in the future.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad you got it figured and working again!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Thanks, man :D It's a lifesaver haha