Stuck retracting belts on a 1990 l wagon

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

A-A Ron
In Neutral

Stuck retracting belts on a 1990 l wagon

Post by A-A Ron »

I made a dumb move and strapped something to the roof, preventing the auto shoulder belts from moving to their fully engaged position. The receptacles are at the top corner of the door and the light is flashing. Before this they were working perfectly.

Is there a way to reset the belts? Did I seriously just break them that easily!?

Thanks,

Aaron
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuck retracting belts on a 1990 l wagon

Post by Legacy777 »

Aaron,

There should be hex wrench in the lid of the center console. Take that out and then remove the round plastic cover on the lower part of the B pillar between the front and rear door. That will give you access to the belt motor assembly. You can stick the hex wrench in there and try to manually turn the motor and see if the belt moves. If it moves easily, move the belt to the fully closed or open position so the computer knows where it's at from the sensors in those positions.

If it doesn't move easily don't try and force it. The belt is run on a track via cables. I have seen where the cable can get stuck in the track and start to fray which compounds the issue and things will get stuck further to the point you would need to replace the cable. In that case we just left the belt buckle in the fully retracted position on the B-pillar and disconnected the electrical connection from the motor. He just manually put the shoulder belt in every time.

Here is a picture diary of my manual seatbelt conversion which has pictures of some of the various piece I mention above...it may help you identify things.

https://www.main.experiencetherave.com/ ... lseatbelts
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
A-A Ron
In Neutral

Post by A-A Ron »

I cranked the receivers back to their end position and forward to their start position, Turininf the car off and on both times . Unfortunately no automatic movement, also no sound of motors running. Cranking them all the way back got the light off. Could I have killed the motors when I blocked them?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's possible, but I couldn't say for sure. You could try applying 12v and ground to the appropriate pins on the motor and see if it moves. That would tell you whether the motors are still good or not.

Here are the wiring diagrams which show which wires you would need to use.

https://main.experiencetherave.com/suba ... _diag1.jpg
https://main.experiencetherave.com/suba ... _diag2.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
PaulMcP80
In Neutral

Post by PaulMcP80 »

It happened to me once after overcharging the roof, it was solved by changing the motors (which was done in a semi-artisanal manner, so I can't really help with the exact model of the motors)