Legacy Manual a/c evaporator swop?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Olduser1
First Gear

Legacy Manual a/c evaporator swop?

Post by Olduser1 »

My 1992 Legacy Turbo was fitted with a manual a/c unit when new.
Just wondering if I can swop over my old ac unit which is located under the dash along side the fan & heater unit and replace with an auto a/c unit ?
I only have the manual control for heat direction etc
I'll add photos at the weekend.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Legacy Manual a/c evaporator swop?

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you referring to the HVAC controls? If so, there are some more sensors and stuff to get the automatic climate control unit to work. I think someone has done that and may have a post here.

If you referring to something else in the AC can you please provide further clarification on what you're looking to do.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Olduser1
First Gear

Post by Olduser1 »

I've been unable to send a photo of each Subaru Evaporator, so here goes the issue.
My Legacy BC which is RHD UK vehicle came with factory a/c ie the heater control & airflow are manual, the a/c has a single button.

My a/c has not worked for 8 years - the condenser & other damaged parts, now ready for a change.

I have obtained a working & good condition condenser & evaporator + pipes from a Japanese Legacy BC - this was the fully automated a/c version where you can set the temp in *C degrees on the control unit on the dash.

My question is can I just swop out the parts inc the evaporator which fits under the dash between the fan/blower & the heater unit less the wiring for the auto settings? I do not have the automatic a/c unit just the manual control unit.

I'll keep attempting to upload the photos they are similar but not the same ie more wiring loom for the automatic unit & heating etc
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You should be able to replace the condenser and other damaged parts and get the AC working again with the manual control unit. Unless you had all the electronics and additional sensors come with the automatic control unit it is not likely to work if you just plug it in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Olduser1
First Gear

Post by Olduser1 »

Thanks Josh for your encouraging remarks, I'm just happy to have heat after nearly 12 months of cold colder & freezing.