05 Legacy 2.5GT Sedan 5spd Test Drive :D

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

05 Legacy 2.5GT Sedan 5spd Test Drive :D

Post by entirelyturbo »

I really need to stop test-driving new Legacies. :)

At this meet today, we actually had a local dealer bring an 05 Legacy GT and a Baja Turbo for test drives. I actually helped one of the guys out on something, and when I started looking at the Legacy, he said it would be no problem for me to drive it whatsoever. How could I say no?? :D

This guy was super-cool, he has his heart set on making this dealer the performance-oriented dealership in Orlando, so he not only had no problem letting me really drive the car, he actually encouraged it. I got to really let loose on it in 2nd gear, oh my GOD!!! I'm sure it's not that fast to some of you, but I can't describe how good that felt. I really have the boost bug!

But he also wanted me to go on the top of the parking garage and fling it around a bit, which I most certainly did. I flung a 180 in 2nd about 25, and heard barely a squeal, even on the RE92's. I must say that the weight and size of the car makes itself apparent when stepping out of my car, but it's still a very tossable car, too much fun to drive.

But what I like the most is that I still feel right at home in it. I sit down and I know I'm not only in a Subaru, but in a Legacy.

Seriously this car is screaming at me "Buy me Michael! Buy me!!" As much as I love my cars, I'm seriously lusting after this one...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

That is one car I would not fault you for buying. :)
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Were I not so attached to mine and written it into three novels (and some likely cameos in others) I'd just run this one as cheap as possible until I could afford a new GT. There's really no logical advantage to my car (even modified) over the new GT.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I'm really having impure thoughts at this point, like just leave my cars alone and save all my dough, then by the time 06's come around, sell both cars and get a GT.

I'm extremely attached to both my cars too, especially my Legacy. But I keep wondering if I'm ever going to get to a point where I'm perfectly happy with them, or is there always going to be something that will bug the shit out of me all the time. It's really just weighing things out and seeing whether I want to give up so many memories and yet so many headaches for 250-hp boosted goodness and stupid monthly payments for 5 years...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: 05 Legacy 2.5GT Sedan 5spd Test Drive :D

Post by SILINC3R »

Well I know this is bringing "it back from the dead" but, I don't care haha. Just recently purchased a 05 GT in Satin White Pearl with 82,XXX miles and was very nervous the whole week thinking about getting a "new" car and 'newer Subaru". My buddy that ended driving me back home to get it and was about to not help me out because I wasn't excited about it and I tried to explain why but he owns a GTI so that should explain that.

Some reasons:
Didn't want a car payment
had no intention of buying a car but it kind of fell in my lap
wasn't sure how the build quality was going to be
the car might be too big for me
did't want to deal with someone elses problems

Well, now I've had the car for just over 2 weeks and have driven it about 900 miles. A 5 hour trip from ATL-Mobile and a trip to Mobile-Panama City and back (3.5 one way) for a car meet with a big group of Subarus. I was the only Legacy of course haha. So I think I have driven a good bit so far.
First thing, I have wanted one of these for a while. I got a ride in one from jp233 several years ago and the torque scared the shit out of me. It just kept pulling and pulling me into the seat. Also I am not very good at being a passenger. This car is beautiful and in Satin White Pearl it really doesn't get any better than this. I had waited so long to get a new car and got everything I waited. I would have liked a Limited for the Leather and sunroof but hey I never have to deal with the leaky sunroof again haha. All of the cars Subaru produced in 04-05 are by far the best in my opinion, Forester, Legacy, STi.
Second, this car is way roomy. I am 6 ft and can't touch the rear seats. In the first gen I can reach the rear and pull the seat down while driving. With the seat at its lowest postion you fell pretty low down which is nice. I like to fell surround and not on top of the center console. If you move the seat to its most rear postion you or atleast I, cannot reach the pedals. I do tend to sit closer than probably most because I like to fell in control and don't want to be out of reach of the clutch. In this car this is a most since the clutch engagement is at the very last bit of travel versus at the top in the first gen which I prefer.
Third, the car is so quiet. No noise at all except for the wheel bearing that is going out haha. I think even at top speed I didn't hear anything, then again I was more focused on the road and RPMs at that point. The build quality is great too. There is vinyl on everything and it is padded. This was my biggest fear that they would have lacked on the padding and just used straight plastic or just put vinyl over the plastic. Great job Subaru! The car is equipped with dual climate ( i havent had A/C in over 7 years!), heated seats, mirrors, and windshield wipers. The instrument cluster is beautifully designed and with a great choise of color, red!. Not the old green we are used too. I highly recommend the red LED mod if you haven't done so yet. I was kind of let down that they didn't design an AUX jack because I hate the radio and I get tired of lessoning to my CDs. I mean come on, you guys put one in the 93! There are 2 12v plugins which is nice and the armest cubby is pretty deep and the cup holders are on the tunnel instead of blocking you A/C and stereo. Nothing like going to grab that cold energy drink that is now hot as crap because you have the heat on. The dash is simple and clean, no little tray thing which I kind of like even though I have never used it. I wish there were still auto belts and use I jusy said that. Everytime I get in the car and start the car I'm like why do I fell weird, oh yeah I have to put my seatbelt on. The trunk is still big so no complaints there. There is a readout that can display actual MPG, average MPG, miles till empty, and temp. I love this and find myself watching this more than the road on my long trips. How hight can I get it! So far highest has been 26.2 and this is without a tune. I think I can hit just under 30 once its tuned and on the highway with cruise.
Driving
The car does seem a little big but not to much. Visibilty isn't as good as the first gen and seeing out the rear window at night is hard sometimes because the defog seems to stick out so much more. Headlights are good and I can actually see at night, they are projector but don't have HIDs, I will switch at some point but I am very happy with the output. I love the fact that are the turn signals on the side view mirrors very classy and of course very safe. Sterring is pretty light and when kicking it into gear and stomping on it the car does move a little from the sterring, so I'll have to get used to that. The car is quick and it is hard to stay out of boost sometimes. Turbo kicks in a little late at just under 3K but it's diffenetly there. Again I still have to get used to the clutch. I catch myself riding it when leaving a stop light and shifting to 2nd takes a second. The hardest part so far has been remembering how each car fells when I switch. Got into the 90 this morning and was like what the heck is wrong with the clutch, nothing was wrong that is just how it is. Seems very easy to press in comparison to the GT. This car is a true sleeper and being it is basiclly de-tuned STi it has so much potential. Much rather have this than the STi, though I will get one some day but glad to have this first. Actually sat in a '11 WRX Limited and was like what the heck, plastic, plastic, oh and plastic.

Summary:
Great car all around and for sure worth the wait if you have wanted one of these. These can be picked up for cheap too, 12 will get you a pretty nice one but you can find a steal for 10 if you look real hard. Lots of potential and great if you just want a little power and care more about refinement. No one will say you should have gotten a "newer" car. If they do, they have no concept of money. Nothing like rolling with STi's but in style!
Pedals are little too close together and trying to heel toe has been hard so far. Rear window is a little hard to see out at night. No aux or Ipod hook up but there is a 6 disk. Other than those things I am very happy to be in another Subaru. It will be night and day if you waited as long as I did but well worth it.

Love, AWD, turbo, boxer, quirky, it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru... Oh and if you catch your kids washing your car with the windows down, just get in the older Legacy and drive far far away.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Tony,

Nice summary and write-up. My ex-gf had an 06 Outback and I had that 06 2.5i for a while, so the things you brought up I can relate. However I think I would have probably liked the GT more than the 2.5i.....and might have actually kept it.

Check out the legacygt forums. There is a mod you can do that will allow you run an aux input. Basically there is a circuit board/wire that intercepts the signal from the CD player to the amplifier. Here you go, http://www.jazzyengineering.com/index.php There's more info on the lgt forums. You run a CD on repeat that is a "blank" and it works fine. I did this when I installed satellite radio in her Outback.

Here are pictures from the install

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... outbackxm/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Thanks Josh, was just reading that before I jumped back on here haha.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
silver03
First Gear

Post by silver03 »

I also have 05 LGT. The wheel bearing should be covered under an extended warranty by subaru. I just had a rear replaced with 87k miles on mine. Stage II + is a blast in these cars!
Last edited by silver03 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Congrats on the new (to you) car! I'm also a big fan of the '05+ GT's. I'd recommend spending some time on the LGT forums for things to watch out for.

Edit: Looked @ Josh's pics and if yours is same as his, there is NO rear DIN plug.....sorry.

RE: the AUX input, check out this link on ScoobyMods ( you may need a free acct to view).

It should work on your GT's 6-CD, too....and you don't have to take the HU apart.

Gives instructions on making a 'silent / blank' CD, too.

Worked great on my FXT.

Enjoy the new ride,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Holy shit... Tony, you have no idea how many memories you just brought back to me! :lol:
SILINC3R wrote:All of the cars Subaru produced in 04-05 are by far the best in my opinion, Forester, Legacy, STi.
At least stylistically, I agree completely. I still think the 80s and early 90s cars were the most durable, as far as taking abuse, but then again, they were making 1/3 of the horsepower back then too. But yeah, the mid-2000s was when the quality of the styling peaked, if you ask me.

You have the new-style bolt-in wheel bearing assemblies, so they're MUCH easier to do than the old cars.

I'd still definitely have one, it's just that any 5spd GT is so hard to find nowadays (especially wagons), and most of the ones that are 5spd are beaten up.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I got to test drive an '05 LGT (5EAT) against a BMW 330i and turbo Volvo (740?) back in late '04 on an auto-Xish course. That was really the point in my life that put Subaru in my radar as not only reliable and practical cars, but hella fun too! At the time I couldn't believe that something as Accord-ish as a new Legacy could possibly be more fun than my old Jetta GLI, let alone out-shine the BMW and Volvo tremendously! To be fair, the BMW did actually have the best handling and was more toss-able and provided better feedback in corners. But it was sloooooooow (this was back when the 330 was naturally aspirated) and as a performance-oriented vehicle it just fell flat on it's face next to a monster like the Legacy.

Then they mentioned how the LGT also came as a wagon (I already had a thing for wagons, but not many of them were of the sporting kind in my price range), with a 5psd available across the range, and I was doomed to forever to regard the '05 LGT as one of the best sedans/wagons of my young adulthood.

The LGT wagon is literally the reason that I own a Touring Wagon today. Maybe when the '05/'06 LGTs are 18 years old, I'll pick one up for $2000 cash finally retire my Touring Wagon.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.