A/C Compressor making grinding noise

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jmaziarz
First Gear

A/C Compressor making grinding noise

Post by jmaziarz »

I have been searching the forums for the past 2-hours and have not found much info on this new problem of mine, any help would be appreciated.

About 4-days ago, I started my 93' Legacy L and heard a fairly loud grinding noise (similar to the sound you might hear the first time you apply brakes to slightly rusty rotors after a heavy rain storm) that lasted for about 2 minutes. During the two minutes, I popped the hood and found that the noise was coming from the A/C compressor. The noise then got much quieter and I drove home from work.

Over the last few days, every time I start the car the noise comes back and then goes away after a few minutes. There have also been a few instances that after the grinding noise stops a slight whistle can be heard. This whistle noise also goes away after a few minutes.

I found a reference from one post that suggested an A/C compressor can lose its lubrication if it is not kept at full charge as part of routine maintenance. Since this problem started recently, could recharging the unit fix the issue or is it more likely the compressor is shot and needs to be replaced? If replacement is likely, is it a fairly easy job for someone with little auto repair experience?

Thanks,
-Jeremy
1993 Legacy L Sedan (25th Anniversary)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Your compressor is pretty much dead. There's nothing you can do to fix it. My suggestion is to just use it until it dies. It's already probably thrown metal flakes and such into the condensor.

You can buy a new compressor, have everything flushed, and recharge things......which isn't too cheap. Also, these compressors can not be rebuilt. The dead end of the compressor basically kills itself. So if you do buy a reman'd one......check what warranty it offers.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jmaziarz
First Gear

Post by jmaziarz »

First, sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where this went. :???:

In any case, thanks for the response. Now I can start my research into getting this fixed. :sad:

-Jeremy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No prob.

Wish I had better news. I've been through 3 used compressors....and finally broke down and bought a new one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jmaziarz
First Gear

Post by jmaziarz »

While I research how to do a compressor swap I still have to drive the car and so far today has been a bad day for ole' Subie. On my 52 mile commute to work she started grinding real bad and a tiny bit of white smoke (and awful smell) came from the engine. I think the compressor has really had it.

Would it be safe to cut the A/C accessory belt off to disengage the compressor entirely?

-Jeremy
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If simply disconnecting the little electrical connector on top of the compressor doesn't make the noise stop, then, yes, go ahead and remove the belt.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
jmaziarz
First Gear

Post by jmaziarz »

Ah, right, electricity good idea. :) Thanks vrg3, I'll give it a shot.

-Jeremy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The compressor will probably sieze, so yeah disconnect that connector to keep it from turning on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

the white smoke and smell was the compressor seizing and burning through the belt.

good thing that belt only drives the compressor, you can run without it.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Re: A/C Compressor making grinding noise

Post by Danteandsoob »

Hate to bring up an old thread, but mine just started doing this. I'm safe to assume I should not drive with the sounds going on? And so I can just disconnect the compressor and it won't affect any panther part of the engine?
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Post by Danteandsoob »

And when I mean not safe to drive, I mean thati shouldn't have the a/c on? I don't what to do a lot of damage to my DD ):
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, just unplug the electrical connector on the AC compressor. You'll need to flush the system out to get any gunk cleaned out when/if you put in a new compressor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT