Power Steering Pump Disassembly & Rebuild

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Power Steering Pump Disassembly & Rebuild

Post by Legacy777 »

I updated the url for Motion Industries. They changed their catalog pages and the previous link was dead.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Brisky
First Gear

Re:

Post by Brisky »

Legacy777 wrote: If you want to buy the bearing online and can't find it locally, you should be able to buy it here
https://www.motionindustries.com

You'll want an NSK 6202 VV C3 BRG

The VV code says that it's sealed on both sides.
So I just went to a local NSK dealer and there are two different NSK 6202 VV C3 bearings, both the same width on the outside, but one comes in a 15 mm or a 5/8 inch pitch I think he said?

I was guessing the 15 mm was correct but I am not sure.

https://www.motionindustries.com/motion ... ll+Bearing

I think this is the one that he sold me today, the 15mm version anyway.

If you can recall what the sizing was, just so I can be sure that I have the right bearing that would be great.

Also just letting you guys know that on the 93 Legacy the rebuild kit part number is 34419AA100.
At least that is what they matched to my VIN.

Also torque specs for all the different bolts?

* the back of the pump (12 ftlbs?)
* the three holding on the pump
* the pulley
* the two on the tank reservoir
* banjo bolt (25 - 29 ftlbs?)

Lastly does anyone have the part numbers for the o-rings and the high pressure hose?

I have asked my local dealer and even Subie Gal on subarugenuineparts.com is having trouble finding them for the reservoir and the high pressure line.

I am planning to rebuild the pump in a few weeks or so, just getting all my parts together ahead of time.
I also just pulled off a pump from a 90 legacy just to practice a bit and have some spare parts.

I may need to find a 3/4 inch pipe to remove the bearing, unless there are actual tools designed for such things. :P

Thanks! :D
Brian

2001 Legacy GT - Sedan - White - Manual

18inch TSW Wheels, Federal SS-595 Tires, Centriic Rotors, Stoptech Brake Pads, STi Exhaust, & Torque Solutions Shifter bushings
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I don't know about the size off the top of my head, but I too would assume the 15mm is the correct one. That 15 mm sizing should correspond to the pump's shaft size. I may have a spare pump around I could check. Let me know if you need me to do that and I can try and find it this week.

Just an FYI on the pump rebuild kit part #'s. The kits are more or less the same. The difference is the kit for the 93-94 MY's just don't have two little spring type things.

So if you have a 90-92 MY, get kit 3419AA030. If you have a 93-94 MY, get kit 34419AA100.

Regarding the resevoir o-ring, the part # is 31266GA020.

For the o-ring on the high pressure discharge line, it's either 34123AA040 or 31260GA050. Ask Jamie to check which one of those part #'s are applicable for your VIN.

Ask her to go to the LE Legacy 2200 catalog, and then type in 346L-1 in the Callout prompt. It'll take her to the page with the o-rings. BTW, tell her Josh says hi :) She'll know how you got the part # info then ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Legacy777 wrote:Yeah I don't know about the size off the top of my head, but I too would assume the 15mm is the correct one. That 15 mm sizing should correspond to the pump's shaft size. I may have a spare pump around I could check. Let me know if you need me to do that and I can try and find it this week.

Just an FYI on the pump rebuild kit part #'s. The kits are more or less the same. The difference is the kit for the 93-94 MY's just don't have two little spring type things.

So if you have a 90-92 MY, get kit 3419AA030. If you have a 93-94 MY, get kit 34419AA100.

Regarding the resevoir o-ring, the part # is 31266GA020.

For the o-ring on the high pressure discharge line, it's either 34123AA040 or 31260GA050. Ask Jamie to check which one of those part #'s are applicable for your VIN.

Ask her to go to the LE Legacy 2200 catalog, and then type in 346L-1 in the Callout prompt. It'll take her to the page with the o-rings. BTW, tell her Josh says hi :) She'll know how you got the part # info then ;)

Awesome thank you so much!

Yeah I took off an old power steering pump from a 1990 Legacy. I didn't take it apart yet, but the bearing seems to match the drive shaft just by putting it up to the shaft on the end where the pulley attaches.

I also just found this guide that has the torque specs for most of the same bolts on my car.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... ?p=4565667

Hopefully when I do this it will go smoothly now. :-)
Brian

18inch TSW Wheels, Federal SS-595 Tires, Centriic Rotors, Stoptech Brake Pads, STi Exhaust, & Torque Solutions Shifter bushings
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's a great link/write-up with pictures. Thanks for sharing and let us know how things go.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Legacy777 wrote:That's a great link/write-up with pictures. Thanks for sharing and let us know how things go.
Yeah, the author on that site was very thorough with the rebuild.

Do you happen to know the part number for both washers on the banjo bolt for the high pressure line?

I am afraid I am frustrating Jamie at SubaruGenuineParts, as your instructions for her she did not find helpful as she can only find parts based on her image diagrams.

So I am waiting to hear back on that and see if the numbers I think are correct are the ones I need.

This is the diagram she sent me.

Here is what I asked for:

· Power Steering Rebuild Kit ( part number: 34419AA100 )
· High pressure line o-ring (item 26) ( part number either: 34123AA040 or 31260GA050 )
· Reservoir o-ring ( item 19) (part number: 31266GA020 )
· Power Steering hose clamps (item number 27)
· Power Steering hose (item 1)

Thanks for all your help.

You are the rock star of these 1st gen Legacys. :D
Brian

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok....let's back up for a second.

Is the steering rack, power steering pump, and lines all from your 93 legacy? If so, there shouldn't be any banjo bolts. Am I missing something?

The high pressure discharge at the pump should just be an o-ring, and same thing at the connection point with the steering rack.

Regarding your list of part #'s

· Power Steering Rebuild Kit ( part number: 34419AA100 ) Correct
· High pressure line o-ring (item 26) ( part number either: 34123AA040 or 31260GA050 ) If your car was built in Japan use 34123AA040 and if it was built in America use 31260GA050. The Japan VIN starts with JF1, while the American VIN starts with 4S3.
· Reservoir o-ring ( item 19) (part number: 31266GA020 ) Correct
· Power Steering hose clamps (item number 27) 34615AA030 (You'll want 2)
· Power Steering hose (item 1) 34611AA000 if your car was built in Japan and 34611AA010 if your car was built in America.

Is there any other part #'s you need? If so, let me know, I'll provide them to you and you can just give them to Jamie. She's got the same parts book as I do, I'm probably just more familiar with the first gen Legacy.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Legacy777 wrote:Ok....let's back up for a second.

Is the steering rack, power steering pump, and lines all from your 93 legacy? If so, there shouldn't be any banjo bolts. Am I missing something?

The high pressure discharge at the pump should just be an o-ring, and same thing at the connection point with the steering rack.

Regarding your list of part #'s

· Power Steering Rebuild Kit ( part number: 34419AA100 ) Correct
· High pressure line o-ring (item 26) ( part number either: 34123AA040 or 31260GA050 ) If your car was built in Japan use 34123AA040 and if it was built in America use 31260GA050. The Japan VIN starts with JF1, while the American VIN starts with 4S3.
· Reservoir o-ring ( item 19) (part number: 31266GA020 ) Correct
· Power Steering hose clamps (item number 27) 34615AA030 (You'll want 2)
· Power Steering hose (item 1) 34611AA000 if your car was built in Japan and 34611AA010 if your car was built in America.

Is there any other part #'s you need? If so, let me know, I'll provide them to you and you can just give them to Jamie. She's got the same parts book as I do, I'm probably just more familiar with the first gen Legacy.
Ok. Thank you!

I am trying to list all the parts that I could possible need and see how much they are to determine if they are worth spending money to replace them.

So only the parts related to the power steering pump that might wear out.

Attempting to be thorough about it all.

Yeah my VIN starts with a JF1...BC...PG.
So that clears that up.

As for the banjo bolt, perhaps I am using the wrong name for it.
However it is the part circled here that screws into the side of the pump and also screws onto what I am assuming is the high pressure line.

When I took it apart on the 1990 legacy there were o-rings on both sides, the one that screws into the pump and the side that screws into the line.

Here is a close up of the picture.

Here is a close up of the o-ring on the banjo bolt.

So in relation to the "banjo bolt," the only other part numbers I might need are the spring that sits on that valve and the o-rings for both sides of the bolt.

Thanks again Josh!
Brian

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, that is not a banjo bolt; it's just a fitting.

I can't tell exactly from the parts book, but the o-ring on that fitting either comes with the rebuild kit (which I don't believe it does) or you'd have to buy that fitting. I reused that o-ring, so you should be fine.

Honestly, I'd just suggest getting the rebuild kit, resevoir o-ring, and the return hose.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Then I stand corrected. I will be sure to call it a fitting from now on. :)

Additionally, I will stick to just ordering those items and replacing the bearing.
Though that replacement hose is $10... which to me seems about $5 too much, but oh wells.

Thanks a bunch for your help!
Brian

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome. If you have any issues during the rebuild let us know.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brisky
First Gear

Post by Brisky »

Hello,

I am reporting back in on how my experience went with the power steering pump rebuild.

First off that guide I referenced was almost exactly the same for our older model Legacys as it was for the newer cars he used for his rebuild, so that was good to know.

Cleaning the pump did take an extremely long time, as it was really baked on with lots of crud. Took an entire bottle of engine degreaser and a small wire brush and several hours to clean it all the way off.

The back bolts on the pump came off very easily and the kit was pretty self explanatory as to what needed to be replaced.

The only thing to know is that on my car the bearing was actually a 6203 and not a 6202. So I just bought a generic brand from O'reillys. It is a bit bigger than the other sizing, and the generic seemed like it would be good enough. I will be returning the smaller NSK bearing.

Also, I didn't encounter any of the power steering fluid bubbles when I refilled the reservoir that others reported when it was refilled.

Only other thing of note was that there was a different looking clip for the circ clip holding it in, which I replaced with the one in the kit.

Overall it went really well and all those parts from Subaru fit perfectly.

Thanks for all the help!
Brian

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Brian,

Glad to hear things went good with the rebuild and it's working well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just to add to this thread, if you have the larger 6203 bearing, you can buy it from Motion Industries here.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT