Hey all

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

vypa
First Gear

Hey all

Post by vypa »

Hey everyone just thought id go ahead and introduce myself and my car to the board :) ima 18 y/o HS student from the states(NC USA) that got a 93 legacy L 2WD 5 spd over the summer. Only begun moddin it and any help yall can give would be great. Also i am of course happy to help when i can :) I gotta admit the legacy wasnt exactly my first choice but now that i got it i absolutely LOVE it... i even prefer drivin it over my dads 2000 GTI turbo
anyways hopefully i can be a valuable member to the community and im glad i stumbled onto the board
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Welcome! Good to see another legacy owner join. Why do you like your legacy more ten your dads GTI turbo? just curious :D

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

haha honesty mostly cuz its mine and i can drive it better than the GTI.... but also its better at low RPM than the GTI... feels better neways... also its got intake and exhaust so u can actually hear the engine unlike in the GTI... o yea one more thing.... 12" Jensen sub on a 200W pioneer amp runnin from an aiwa head unit :D... ok mostly cuz its mine
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Welcome, vypa. You're not the only 18 yr old that needed a car, ended up with a BC Legacy, then fell in love with it afterwards... :o

Your car is better at low rpm's coz the GTI has a little turbo lag...

Plus you picked a fine car to mod... Not because of plenty of aftermarket support for sure :) , but because these cars are very receptive to mods and can take quite a beating... How many miles does yours have?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

just turned 132,000... and its a one owner car... last owner babied it too :D also i like that its not an inline four... more torque :)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

132k? From what people discuss around here, that's just broken in. Mine's got 115k, has a bit of idle and hesitation, but I know the engine's good (Compression Stats post).

Boxer fours are good mainly coz they're smoother. Inline fours have the piston mass adding together whe it's moving up and down. Boxer's pistons are moving against each other, cancelling vibration out... It's a shame Porsche is the only other manufacturer to realize that...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

yup 132k... altho nearly 10k of that is mine since april of this year. the boxer fours in general are higher torque engines than inlines arent they? and yes it is a shame that porsche seems to be the only other company that realizes this... altho mine does idle a bit roughly currently......
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

As most people would suggest, start with simple stuff for the rough idle... spark plugs, wires, fuel injector cleaning... We've done plenty of discussion on that topic around here...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Actually BMW uses the boxer engine also. I was talking to a mechanic that works on bmw's and subarus. He likes subarus a lot, owns a legacy sport sedan and says that you look under the hood and the front end suspension and all that is very similar to the bmw. He'll swear by the cars.

Welcome to the club. You got yourself a good car that will pull you through just about anything.

-Ryan
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

Welcome to the club. I have a '93 black legacy turbo SS with 149K on it. She feels like she was just broken in not too long ago. barely starting to age. The exhaust has no oil smell to it at all. Just that delightful mixture of smells akin to water vapor mixed with the slightest amount of alchohol that tells you everything's ok. Since I replaced the valve cover gaskets there's been no under-the-hood oil burning either. Turbo is spotless. Everything is as it should be. If this is any indication of how well subies age, it just reaffirms my long time subie-love.

Anyways, welcome to the club. I'm pretty new here too, and everyone here is really helpful. enjoy your stay!
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

vypa wrote:... altho mine does idle a bit roughly currently......
One thing you can look into about the rough idle....is the intake you have on the car. I'm goin to assume you have an open style pod filter of some sorts that sucks air from the engine bay. This can cause rough idle and MAF sensor issues.

I had a similar setup for about 4-5 years. I had one intermittant MAF problem, which drove me absolutely insane. I recently (couple months ago) decided to go back to the stock air box because the under hood temps were really bad for performance. Upon puttin the stock air box back on, idle was much smoother, and car had better mid range torque.

I have removed the intake silencer from the fender and added an additional intake tube to the bottom of the airbox to improve air flow.

There is a tradeoff....best solution would be to build a box around the filter and route an intake tube into the fender or something similar.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

hmm... this is startin to look like its in the wrong area lol.. but yes i have a tenzo R racing intake that was originally made for a 90-93 acura integra that i customized to fit.... took out the arbox but left all the things from the old snorkel in the on and modifed that by puttin a scoop in the front bumper to force are thru the hole where the airbox used to attatch which is right near the filter... keeps the temperature down a bit