Preparing a "92 Legacy Turbo for FSP Autocross

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

labman
In Neutral

Preparing a "92 Legacy Turbo for FSP Autocross

Post by labman »

Hi All!!

Newbie here, the guys at NASIOC sent me over. I have a '92 Legacy Turbo with a 5SPD and LSD rear that I am hoping to use for FSP autocross duties. This will be pretty much a dedicated autoX car, and as such I wish to take full advantage of allowable suspension and intake/exhaust mods.

The general goal in street prepared seems to be lower and stiffer; this tactic has worked well for my current autoX car, a CSP MR2, and was the direction I was going with the WRX I ran in ESP several years back.

I am having some problems finding the parts, tho, and was hoping for some pointers as to possible sources, as well as any other suggestions that you might be able to offer.

My wish list:

Adjustable coilover struts with stiff springs, or that will accept "standard" coils. I'm thinking that ~500lb in the front, and 350-400lb in the rear would be a starting point, and so the damper has to be able to control that much spring. I am allocating a major chunk of my total budget for this, but still would like to keep the cost in the $2K range if possible. Used parts would be great.

Swaybars. WhiteLine does list at least one heavy F/R bar for this application, as well as a heavy-duty rear mount. I have had it suggested that if you use stiff enough springs on the struts, the swaybars are unnecessary. Any thoughts on this?

Urethane chassis bushings. I can machine some out of Delrin if need be, but a set of Prothane bushings would be way easier. Any source for these?

14X6 or 14X7 wheels. I know for sure (tried already) that a 14X5.5 Subaru alloy wheel will _not_ clear the front caliper. Does anyone know of a 14 inch wheel (doesn't have to be an alloy wheel) that _will_ fit?

Camber Plates. I'll probably order these from whoever's strut I wind up with, but if there is a product that really stands out . . .

Front and rear strut tower braces. I can fabricate these if need be, but would rather purchase them if available.

Finally, does anyone know if hardware listed for the newer (mid '90s) Legacy's will fit my car? I can work around things like brake line and ABS mounting tabs being missing or in the wrong locations, but if the tops or lower brackets won't line up, or use differently sized hardware, that would probably be a stopper. The main reason I ask is that I have sometimes seen used JDM Tein struts for the mid '90s Legacy's on ebay. Same goes for the strut tower braces.

Thanx for taking the time to read thru this, and anything you can offer is greatly appreciated.

ByeBye! S.
Steve Jernigan, KG0MB
Laboratory Manager
Microelectronics Research
University of Colorado
(719) 262-3101
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome Steve,

I moved your thread since the questions are more generic type questions then motorsports related.

As for parts, a lot of parts for the impreza do fit our cars. Some stuff fits better then others, but if you search the board, which I highly recommend you'll come across a lot of information.

I'd recommend anti-sway bars....even with stiffer springs, they bars do help. However if you go with really stiff springs, you could probably get away with less bar.

Pretty much all the bushings for the 93-01 impreza will work on our cars. Whiteline makes some. Super Pro makes whiteline's I believe. Check out www.boxer4racing.com and http://www.renickmotorsports.com/

14" wheel won't fit over the front turbo calipers.

Again, 93-01 front strut brace is a direct bolt in. In the rear, you can get the cheap ebay rear ones. The bracket on one needs to bent slightly to fit though.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Common Impreza chassis tuning applies, with slight variances. The GC/GF Impreza chassis is nothing but a shortened BC/BF Legacy chassis. That being said, you'll probably never get the Legacy to rotate and react as fast as an Impreza. But you should be able to make the car plenty fun.

On my Legacy turbo I'm running WRX STi ver. 7 struts and springs, along with Whiteline front and adjustable rear sway bars. Some Impreza front sway bars might be adaptable to the BC/BF, but may require that you get creative with the endlinks.

Start your research in the Suspension forum with the sticky thread.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

fsp is the class i am running in with my auto 92 turbo
i have kyb agx struts set on 2/4 front and 7/8 rear.
at the moment im using my 17" wheels with 205/40 tires but will be getting a set of 16x7 rs wheels with 215/45 tires (azenis? hankook?)
i also have a 2.5" exhaust w/ no cats

this set up is not as much as you are looking at doing but its working really well for me (6/77 in points for the local club). im not to sure what im going to look into changing next but ill probably try to lighten up this 3100lb car lol