Legacy Turbo vs 98 Prelude

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Legacy Turbo vs 98 Prelude

Post by LegacyT »

I know this guy who just bought a (stock) 98 honda Prelude and thinks he can smoke my car. I told him no. So we have arranged to race sometime in the spring. Anway how quick can I expect my car to be after it gets an intercooler, while running 13 pounds of boost and gets a 3 inch exhaust? Could I take his stock prelude (other than a cold air)?

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Mark, could you ask a more serious question, please? :lol: He would look like he's going in reverse! I've driven a 2000 Prelude, and although it's fast, your car has the same engine size, more torque b/c his is all top-end, plus you have a torque-happy turbo, all-wheel-drive, and you're gonna run 13lbs boost? He needs to rethink his statement... Even if he does a little more to his car, it's not gonna happen. You basically have a little WRX right there!
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Don't worry . . .

I don't even bother with preludes . . . the first FIVE that tried to race me (seems like everyone who owns a prelude in these parts is a "streetracer" lol) got their arses handed to them many a times.

I didn't even get so much as a wave from any of them when I slowed down for them. :roll:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Sweet! Thanks for the support, I really want to smoke this guy. He's all hype about his new prelude. I can't wait to see his expression when he loses to a 13 year old four door sedan :twisted:

Thanks,
Mark
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Just to wet your appetite a little more . . .

A day after I got the car I was driving along with a friend of mine when I spotted this silver 98-99 prelude SH. From what I could tell when he opened up, he had an intake, definitely an exhaust. I was in second when i heard him open up . . . blasted through second, shifted to third . . . had him by the middle of third (his front bumper was at my rear bumper) . . .

Mind you, I started BEHIND him an overtook him. lol!

The guy tried a couple more times with the same results. He pulled up next to me and was screaming about what a POS car I drove . . . I just looked over and told him . . . if my POS beat your car, what does that tell you?

For the record, I haven't gotten any props from people (well, there was a guy in a Mustang GT that waved) for the car, but that makes my "wins" that much sweeter:)
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Damn thats awesome! Why was the guy such a prick, raving at your car? Do you have an EGT? If so how hot does your exhaust get? And I presume your still running the stock ECU? You glad you traded the GT for this beast?

Mark
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

yeah. don't worry. you could take him in traffic, and there's no way he could take you off the line with even the best launch attempt. you have the almighty turbo+AWD launch combo. I'm running 10-11 lbs of boost right now, non-intercooled... otherwise stock. I'm running 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. that's getting close to legacy RS territory. And I'm 4EAT. If I wsa running 2-4 more lbs of boost with an intercooler... muahahahaha.... you get the idea......
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Just challenge him on a road with lots of gravel, he wont even be moving by the time you reach 15mph...
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

10-11 psi and a 0-60 of 6.8 on a 4EAT thats pretty good. I wonder how fast a 5MT would be with the same boost? I've also realized that the AWD launch can be very vicious, especially with a unsuspecting competitor :P I want to get my car done. It needs some body work and its getting new paint :D So far I've only driven it locally (subdivision) and only been up to 3rd and 110 km/h :x . But soon it'll be ready :D

Mark,
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

the AWD launch has surprised quite a few "streetracers" that never came close to seeing it coming... lol
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

Yeah. AWD launch is scarry. especially if it's wet or snowy out. they expect people to take it easy to avoid tirespin just like them. then they see all 4 spin for a fraction of a second before teh car catches up. Its soooooo mean.

With the AT I can launch from 3000-3200 RPMs after vacuum locking the brakes. this puts me in full boost, and I don't bog much (if at all) after I let off on the brakes. It's a beautiful thing watching the RPMs just continue from 3200 on to the redline, and by 4000 the car has caught up with the engine and spinning tires. you just CAN'T do that with 2WD.

It's a little tougher with the MT since it's a lot more stressful. the AT has 3 planetary gears to distribute torque into instead of just one gear, so there's more surface area taking the strain. MT launches can be just as impressive but it takes some care and technique. I wish I knew more about MT so I could give some pointers, but I've been driving AT forever just by chance. It jsut so happens every car I've gotten has been auto for one reason or another.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Driving a MT takes a lot more finesse and balance to get things just right. I learned on a 5 spd....and an extremely picky one at that.....so I got very good at modulating throttle, clutch, & brake.

Yeah I know I drive an auto box......but my passion is the MT :D
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
inzomniac
First Gear

Post by inzomniac »

Err ya.. AWD lauch... Just make sure you do a smooth drop on the clutch... I had an incident with a bone stock neon (94-9?) model... with four people in it. I dropped the clutch a little too hard.. the car almost bloody stalled and the guy smoked me off the line in the wet. I had new tires on my car and was used to the old ones that would light up in the wet... I know, I still got beat off the line :oops: by a neon :oops: I got him once i started moving though... still it hurts man.

But I can't see a prelude giving you any hasstles, I live in a little hick town and I've scared the piss out of quite a few mustang 5.0's, and camaries (camaro's) in my time. Sure they catch up at around 100, but if you're smart you'll be off the gas by then on public roads, and you can watch them go flying by and get caught by the police.
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

By "100", you mean KM, right? :D

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

my mom drives a prelude.