1984 Subaru Leone GLF (kinda rare)

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

He posted 2 ads on it. It doesnt say anyting about the interior color being tan, but it does say its a AT :roll:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/709681209.html
89 RX w/2.2T
03 Fozzy
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I think all the black and red cars were tan interior. White, silver, and blue had the much nicer (IMO) blue interior. I still have blue velour seats for it as well. I always liked the blue like the one pictured, so I might keep an eye for one of those or silver like my old wagon.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

All the black ones I've seen and owned, have had grey interiors.
89 RX w/2.2T
03 Fozzy
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Really? That's not so bad. Maybe that's just the Legacys that did the damn tan. I still like the blue on blue best and silver because you never know it's dirty until it rubs black filth off on you. Then you wash it and realize that, yes, it IS silver, and not gray.

Trying to figure out how I can do this with needing to keep the Mazda until I have something else I'm confident in the reliability of with only a 1 car garage (occupied by the Legacy) and a 3-car driveway that has to include the 2 upstairs resident cars. The Cessna I can build in a temp garage in the back yard, but that will all be too crowded and I finally got rid of the pool to partly because of that problem. I like seeing birds and trees instead of junk back there.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1532038

Chuckleheads on Nasioc can't decide what it is so they have turned it into a running joke.. :lol:
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

What a bunch of tools... That is why I don't hang out over there! 96% idiot ratio.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That's why I have little interest in Subarus after the 1st generation Legacy - their followers. I like how Convertible is misspelled. It may or may not be an actual convertible - a Southern CA aftermarket company converted them (forget the name), but I've seen two true convertibles and three or four fakes that looked real until you got up close, so it's tough to say which that is. What the point of the latter was, I have no idea. One of the fakes I saw even had a sunroof. Yeah.

Can't imagine how miserable the structural integrity of the thing would be, especially after 24 years! I'd be adding a little reinforcement to my coupe as the rattles were about the only thing with those cars that I didn't like.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I've seen one local car that had a cloth top, but it was cloth on a hard top...
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That was different - that's like the same stuff that they put on Tauruses and junk. This was a vinyl job with bows and everything (and could've been made by the same people that did the real conversion) - very convincing and looked identical to the real deal until the glass rear window made you suspicious, you see the stock flat headliner, or inspected where the top met the rear deck and pillars on the outside. If I didn't look at each one carefully, I would've been sure they were all convertibles. I know the other two were real since I saw one with the top down driving around often (I wonder what happened to it - it was a nice dark gray with black bumpers) and a beige one for sale that was overpriced and whose chassis was over-oxidized. Would make a cool speedster with a cut-down windshield and the doors welded shut for rigidity, but kind of old-lady looking otherwise.

Haven't seen one in maybe 6 or 7 years. Damn rust.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Judging by the size of the rear window, I would guess that pic is a vinyl covered hardtop.

ASC (American Sunroof Company?) used to do a large chunk of the OEM and aftermarket convertibles in the '80s.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I think those may have been the guys.
Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

Go down to the 83 models. They show a nice black convertable but not the name of the company that made them.
http://www.cars101.com/oldsubaru.html
89 RX w/2.2T
03 Fozzy
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

I'v very glad that bullsh*t faded away... Yeah, dude, nice Jeep Cherokee convertible. With a sunroof, cooool.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Speak of the devil

Not mine, no realtion.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Looks like my old wagon except for the lack of crosshairs on the hood, teeth in the grille, and Safari Rally stickers on the doors. What a dumb ass that he couldn't see those issues when he bought it. A fool and his money are soon parted.
Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

PhyrraM wrote:Speak of the devil

Not mine, no realtion.
OMG, I used to live in that town. Went to high school up there, met my wife there, got married there. Small world.
89 RX w/2.2T
03 Fozzy
Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

Aerotech wrote:I'v very glad that bullsh*t faded away... Yeah, dude, nice Jeep Cherokee convertible. With a sunroof, cooool.
Not sure what you meant by this.
Was this a drunk posting? :P
89 RX w/2.2T
03 Fozzy
Turbone
In Neutral

Re: 1984 Subaru Leone GLF (kinda rare)

Post by Turbone »

Heres to more reading material!
And pics too ;-)

Some of you that know me off the other forums know that I like the older coupes. I've had 3 of the EA81T's, a couple of GL's and my first Subaru, a 82 GLF. The most memorable tho is a 83 Convertible I picked up for $1200. It needed some tlc but it had a brand new top on it.
I entered in the Show and Shine at WCSS 11 and won Peoples Choice.

I sold it 3mo after that to a friends dad in PDX for $3k :-D

My next project is a 84 EA81T.......with a twist.
It looks just like this now, but wont when I'm done...

Thanks to Caboobaroo I have a EJ22T standing by for the swap. I have most the other parts but still need a trans. Once I get moved here in another month and into my shop, this project will get off the ground.
With the EJ22T in my RX, the power to weight ratio is great. I can only manage what its going to be like in this 2200lb car :twisted:
89 RX w/2.2T
03 Fozzy
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Sounds really cool! I've always wondered why there aren't more convertable subarus. When my ex rolled my impreza on snow we were joking that I should 'convert' it, since everything but the roof was intact.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

There was some coachbuilding company that did the convertible conversions on the GLF coupes, right? I can't remember the name of that company.

I love Gen 2s. If I ever decide to try my hand at an old-gen Subaru again, it will almost certainly be a Gen 2. I just love their lines. Best of luck!
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok