1984 Subaru Leone GLF (kinda rare)

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

1984 Subaru Leone GLF (kinda rare)

Post by dropdfocus »

Doing my normal Google Subaru searching for misc. BS, I came across this:
http://www.scoobyblog.com/2007-01-30/to ... -leone-glf

Pretty interesting to read.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That's my dream car. That and an Alfa Montreal are the only other dinosaur cars I want to own.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I figured someone from here would appreciate the article. :cool:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Pretty car.
Kickin' it old-school.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Im must be a total Subaru geek, cause that car is awesome!!
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Sweet!... when's the last time anyone saw one of those here? A buddy in the USAF had a GL-10 similar to this, we beat the livin' hell out of that car on the fire roads of southern NM, and it just kept going.

I love the spare tire mount... plenty of space for an IC in there if you toss it!
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

They do have those here as well. Not very common but they're around.
1987 RX STi - EJ22T/EJ20K/EJ257
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Yep, Loyales & GL's of that time frame had the spare in the engine bay (since the 1.8 litre motors were so damn dinky).

They resemble the very early GL model sedans. Of course Europe/Japan/Austrailia got the cars & the US got jipped... Always the same damn story. US got squat, the other countries got the good shit.
Jason
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Go Like Fuk?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

that blog is sweet!
good find
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Thanks. I stumble on to some cool stuff every now & then.
Jason
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

They sold those here, but the GL-10 trim level was really rare (at least since when I started noticing them as I've only seen one). Only coupe I've seen in a few years is a rusted beige automatic in Salem. There was a 4wd one driving around for a while as well. According to the sales literature of the time, they didn't exist, but if someone did a conversion, they went through a lot of work to make it look OEM. There was a company that also used the coupe as a basis for a convertible. I almost bought one, but there was about 100 lbs. of asphalt underneath the chassis to hide the rust.

But, yeah, those cars were never fast, but still a blast to drive. I'd take a 5-speed restored coupe, even fwd, over any new sports car, even the Elise (too impractical as a daily). The ideal would be an EJ22 swap and rwd.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

Come to the west coast, if you look, you'll find them and lots of them but you have to look in the roght areas.

And yes there are the GL-10 models but they usually came in a sedan, not a coupe form like the GLF. IIRC, there's a GLF on the east coast with 35k original miles on it. I've also seen one where the guy built it for autocross with custom suspension he made, dual sidedraft DCOEs(?) on a custom intake manifold.

Oh yes, they're around but a little harder to find, kinda like the '83 and '84 GL turbo coupes and turbo Brats.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, I've seen several GL-10 sedans. I don't like the turbos since they only came automatic and I'd rather already have the pedal hardware in place. The only reason I bought a Legacy was because I could no longer find '84 GLs that weren't rotted (or were around at all). I've had a wagon and a sedan so now I want the coupe. I think with the EJ22 and some aero finesse, I'd be comfortably into the 30mpg range and have plenty of fun. Love the pillarless sides with roll down rear windows.
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

There was a chick over on USMB that had one shipped out there not too long ago from the west coast. In beautiful condition too.

Only problem with the pilarless windows is the seals between the two are hard to find IF you can, that aren't rotted out.

Oh and doing a manual conversion in one is an afternoon job. I've done the later '85-'94 GL/Loyale bodystyle auto to manual conversions with both the 4EAT and the 3AT. My "RX" was a 3AT FWD GL coupe when I bought it. Now its a Full Time 4wd 5-speed, dual range with lockable center diff.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

IIRC, the EA series turbo cars have a unique crossmember. Kinda the same story as the SS/GC turbo crossmembers. For that reason alone I would snatch a turbo up if I saw one vs. a 5-speed non-turbo.

The guy I bought my Pure White Legacy from earlier this year also had a very clean, no rust BRAT turbo. It was going to be a project for him and his son. I told him to hit me up if he ever considers selling it, even thoughI probably can't afford it. The last clean Turbo BRAT I followed on Ebay went for $8000 with over 50 bids. That was about 2 years ago.

Just out of high-school, about a hundred years ago, my daily driver was a borrowed coupe like that GLF for a few weeks when my MG Midget took a dump. Same sandy-looking color also. Was pretty fun to drive and for some reason I remember the brakes being really good for such a 'junker'. I got it stuck in reverse the day I returned it to my mom's boyfreind. He was dumped shortly after that, so I don't know what it took to get it out of gear.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

No interest in the turbo - I'd drop in an EJ22 - much better power and efficiency. I worry about getting 5 speed conversion parts at this point. JY supplies have dried up here a few years ago and the only thing left are overpriced BRATs, occasional automatic old-lady owned hatches. Doesn't matter, though, I have too many projects right now. If I had my wagon running, I'd sell the Mazda and pick one up to drive until I had the time to work on it, but that's not happening any time soon. Plus I'd rather move on to building this Cessna-car.

I had trouble getting into 5th and reverse on my sedan for a few days, then it just magically healed and wasn't a problem again until I had to junk it (a tree fell on it while I was driving) over a year later.
Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

The GL-10 that Caboob is talking about was brokered thru me.
She paid for it, I picked it up and stored it for her until she came out and got it. She had it shipped on a carrier for just shy of $800.
The car cost $450. And it wasn in primo shape.
I put all new shocks/struts on it, did a tune-up and got some parts for it.

Heres a link to the Coupes that I've owned in the past.
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll95 ... %20Coupes/
Last edited by Turbone on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

That's freakin' sick!!!!!!! I'd SOOOOOO daily drive that!
Jason
Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

This was my first Subaru. 82 GLF.
Since then, I've owned more than 30 Subaru's :P
Last edited by Turbone on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That's beautiful! $1250 total? What a steal! I'd buy that in a heartbeat and put the Mazda up for sale the next day. I still have the rare OEM 13" 8-spoke alloys.
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

I'm sure if you wanted an older Subaru, we could help ya out sort of thing. They're out here like a dime a dozen on CL. Search around in the Seattle area for them. Only cost like $600-$800 or so to ship them too IIRC.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm seriously considering it. The only problem is that my job requires a car that works every day and as reliable as they are, they are also 24+ years old. I'll need a back up car, the Legacy I suppose. Guess it depends on what happens with my book.
Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

I would be SO screwed if I got this :P
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/709707542.html

I already have several Subaru's.
But I'm a sucker for black ones. And a 2dr GL is real hard to resist.
I have a project in mind for a Coupe, but I have to thin my herd first :?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I saw that one. I don't like the tan interior, though. It also doesn't say auto or manual and I'd only get a manual since I have no idea when I'd get the chance to do anything to the car and I won't drive an automatic.