So I went for a cruise today....

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Fkyx
Third Gear

So I went for a cruise today....

Post by Fkyx »

...with boost at 16lbs. Just wanted to see how it might fair on the streets.

Before I start:
STREET RACING IS BAD. DON'T DO IT

A factory turbocharged 2002 Neon followed us out of the Wal-Mart parking lot and we raced from a 1st gear roll. My car jumped ahead, but I had to shift and so we ended up staying even all through 2nd gear, and when I shifted he pulled away, but we slowed for traffic after that, so I don't know if I would have caught him on his shift. I'm assuming he was running an automatic, though.

What do you guys think of this (apart from the fact that I was "street racing")? I don't exactly know how our cars compare against more recent cars and stuff, so I don't know what to think (it's my first car, also). All I know is that my first "race" was everything I wanted, win or lose... such a rush knowing he was right next to me the whole time.

We both had passengers, but I also have a trunk literally filled with laundry (between residences at the moment) and a couple jacks/jack stands in the back seat. Does it seem like my car may not be running tip-top? Do you think I would have caught him on the top end? He says he's running bone stock, and I'll take his word for it. It sounded stock.

Thanks for reading. The road was a 45mph road and the max we got to was 65mph.
Last edited by Fkyx on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
quicklook
Second Gear

Post by quicklook »

street racing with people in the car is not that smart.

even without them in the car it is not that smart.

but then you already should know that and not do it.
Saskatoon Subaru
Second Gear

Post by Saskatoon Subaru »

unless you really good a shifting in my opinion, a turbo'd auto will beat a turbo'd manual every time, if the hp between them is close.

why, well think about is in a auto you cam keep your foot to the floor, and not let off, which means once your making max boost you dont lose it.

in a manual, you have to take you foot off the gas to shift which means after ever shift you gotta work back up to mass boost it may only take a 1sec but that's a lot if time in a race if you add through all gears that's 5sec of a race you have to make up some how.
2010 Impreza WRX - 265hp

1990 Legacy 267,000km(Rebuild complete 265,423km----March 9/2008)

1991 Legacy Turbo 180,000km
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

you don't HAVE to take your foot off.....

also I hear there are some very affordable anti-lag kits out there
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
MPtyza
Second Gear

Post by MPtyza »

The only factory turbo Neon (SRT-4, all the fanbois get all butt-hurt if you call it a Neon :roll: :lol: ) came out in '03, and all were 5MT's. They dyno'd at around 230hp at the wheels stock though, and if I remember correctly, they'll even do around 150 or so.

Years back I was a Neon guy before I found my way back to Subarus. I was all about selling my Neon to get one, and thats really the only reason I know any damn thing about them :roll: Dont like to think about those days :lol:
-Mike

White 1988 XT6 FWD 5MT (#2) 229k
Rio Red 1991 Legacy SS 180k :( - Dead
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Dynamic Entry wrote:you don't HAVE to take your foot off.....

also I hear there are some very affordable anti-lag kits out there
Not sure I'm an anti-lag fan. lol Even at the most toned-down levels, they seem like they'd be pretty annoying. Can't say I'm such a glutton for power/speed/winning that I'd go that route... at least until I have another daily driver.

The guys said it was a "bone-stock 2002", and I definitely heard a BOV and the turbo whistle. It had stock exhaust, though. But I know nothing about Neons... so I'll take your word for it now.

The shifting stuff makes sense. Do you think my car could be strong enough in 3rd or 4th to catch him later down the drag strip? Or would it pretty much be the same through the gears?

I really don't know if my car is running anywhere near how it should... and there aren't any shops around here with a 4WD dyno. I don't even have a ballpark estimate about how much HP is being thrown around.

Yes, I know street racing is a stupid thing to do. I admit that. I'm not looking to get lectured on how I shouldn't do it and what not, hence "apart from the fact that I was 'street racing'". I don't go out every weekend looking for a street race. A buddy of mine and I went for a cruise and quite literally fell into one. The point of this thread is to find out how our cars should compare against other cars. That's it. So if you feel so compelled to lecture me about street racing, bring it to PM so I can ignore it. Please.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Are there antilag systems that use something other than igniting fuel before the turbo? Are there commercial versions of the compressed air system? If there are, they'll still require some sacrifice to instal as you'll need the room for the tank and running the tubes.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Well, I rarely use my AC system. lol
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

MPtyza wrote:The only factory turbo Neon (SRT-4, all the fanbois get all butt-hurt if you call it a Neon :roll: :lol: ) came out in '03, and all were 5MT's. They dyno'd at around 230hp at the wheels stock though, and if I remember correctly, they'll even do around 150 or so.

Years back I was a Neon guy before I found my way back to Subarus. I was all about selling my Neon to get one, and thats really the only reason I know any damn thing about them :roll: Dont like to think about those days :lol:
Actually you could get the PT Turbo as early as 2002 which runs the SRT4 motor. I sold my 99 RT to purchase my TLeg and it had a '02 2.4 swapped in from a turbo PT Cruiser, it was NA and it ran like a banshee from hell. I can only imagine how it would have scooted with the factory turbo and fmic. Having said that, stock for stock, the turbo 2.4 has awesome low end torque and can put a real hurt on much more powerful cars with very little modification so Id be inclined to say that you were likely outmatched. Im not dissing, I will never go back after owning a Subaru. :twisted:
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

SRT-4s can put the hurt on unsuspecting WRXs and Mustangs, so I'd say that you can probably hold him in 1st/2nd due to traction/gearing, but unless he's a failure with a clutch he probably would've owned you after that.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.