100k anniversary

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

100k anniversary

Post by scottzg »

in 2001 i never expected to own this thing long enough to put 100k on it, but here it is, with 168k showing on the odometer. To celebrate, i've made a list of the things i've learned as a long term legacy owner.

*205/50/15 is the best tire size for old legacies. period.

*you can do a timing belt job in 25 minutes, in the dark, on the side of the road, with a flashlight, if you've done it a few times before.

*LSD's don't do crap when you're only putting down ~90 hp to the wheels.

*I-club group drives are full of novices that are a hazard to themselves and everyone else.

*Which is better than the west coast LCo meets, where a bunch of cool people sit on their drunk asses and jabbers about turbos.

*you can put a ton of hours collecting spring rate information, but if you don't have the springs free length it doesn't tell you much.

*got a bit of a whine that sounds like a dead bearing in your 5mt? So does everyone else.

*don't try to remove the axle retainer pins with an awl.

*unfortunately, understeer is faster.

* run over something big at freeway speeds and a lower control arm is sacrificed.

* 6/6 idiot crooks agree that the passenger rear quarter window is the best place to break in to steal a crappy stereo. You can cut out a new one using a piece of wire from OSH.

*pay attention to which piece you unbolted when you had to clean up your IAC valve. You'll be doing it again, and it sucks when you're unbolting random parts because you totally remember which part it was, right?

* 2.5rs seats are AWESOME!

* Don't tinker with suspension or brakes unless you can comfortably feel out where the limit of traction is cornering, braking, and over bumps.

* there's no way to get non-yellow LHD headlights that last.

* I'm gonna be really bummed with this old thing keels over.
Last edited by scottzg on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I doubt it'll keel over. My first legacy had almost 300K on it when I sold it last year. I think the engine was replaced but I'm not sure. I replaced the tranny at 274K miles though because it quit working completely when I was going up a hill.

3 wheel bearings went out on it. Other than that though it was flawless.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

very good post :)

shows the love we really have for these cars, and why they are the shit.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
vrg3
Vikash

Re: 100k anniversary

Post by vrg3 »

Congrats on hitting your century mark with the car. Wow, it was just an infant when you got it.

And that's a great list. Kind of like Chicken Soup for the B10 Soul.
scottzg wrote:*205/50/15 is the best tire size for old legacies. period.
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. I like my 205/45/16s better. They clear bigger brakes and have less sidewall to flex while still having enough to be useful on real-life roads.
* 6/6 idiot crooks agree that the passenger rear quarter window is the best place to break in to steal a crappy stereo. You can cut out a new one using a piece of wire from OSH.
I don't understand. You can cut out a new rear window wiith a piece of wire? What's OSH?
* there's no way to get non-yellow LHD headlights that last.
What about the European market?
Never gonna happen, my friend. It's possible you'll just decide not to fix it at some point, and it's possible it'll be wrecked in an accident, but it won't just up and die.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

vrg3 wrote: I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. I like my 205/45/16s better. They clear bigger brakes and have less sidewall to flex while still having enough to be useful on real-life roads.
You're free to disagree with me, but you're wrong. I've run 3 sets that size, and at almost twice the cost you don't get the gearing advantage of the smaller tire. Sitting almost on-cam on the freeway is rad, and i've never met an aftermarket brake that locked up how and when i wanted it to.
I don't understand. You can cut out a new rear window wiith a piece of wire? What's OSH?
At the junk yard, take a 4 foot wire, poke a hole in the donor cars' quarter window glue, and use it as a saw.
Never gonna happen, my friend. It's possible you'll just decide not to fix it at some point, and it's possible it'll be wrecked in an accident, but it won't just up and die.
It's true. Zombies are the same way.

thanks for the kind words!
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hmm, cost is a good point. But 205/45/16 tires have the same rolling diameter as 205/50/15 -- they're both smaller than stock. I guess the question is whether the extra cost is worth the ability to put on bigger brakes. I'm not using aftermarket -- just stock WRX. In any case, I think we definitely agree that going to a smaller diameter helps.

Ah, I get it about the windows now. Thanks.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

scottzg wrote:*I-club group drives are full of novices that are a hazard to themselves and everyone else.

*Which is better than the west coast LCo meets, where a bunch of cool people sit on their drunk asses and jabbers about turbos.
:lol: So you'd rather be hit by a kid in a new STI his daddy bought him than get drunk and jabber about boost and such?
90 L+ wgn
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

staring over the side of mt. hamilton at the pretty/crumpled sti was VERY entertaining.

Low budget turbo mods, on the other hand, are pretty tedious.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Having run both, I really don't know which tire size I prefer. Tire prices weren't much different (not like the twice-as-expensive 17's on the Mazda). The 16s look better, ride a tad worse, but handle a tad sharper. They also do clear the larger brakes, like Vikash said. If you don't want the brake clearance the 15s are probably the best and cheapest choice, but I think it's kind of a wash.

The stock 14s are terrible and I wouldn't personally want to go larger diameter than 16.

And also agreeing with Vikash—only an accident kills these things. Mechanicals are easy, the electrical I've never had an issue with (though I'll see if there's a challenge to that statement when I get it running after 4 years). I've got the front bodywork off and even the rust is shockingly minimal and fixable. This is a 20 year old New England car. As much as I love the old GLs, those were a nightmare at half the age.

What I love most about these cars is the character. I thought maybe I just tend to anthropomorphize cars, but my Datsun and my Mazda are just cars to me, while the Subarus have all been more interesting than most dates I've had. Other cars have character, but how many are cheap and reliable?

One thing I've learned is that nobody that hasn't owned one is impressed by the car, though. I tell people I'm restoring a car and they seem interested they ask what kind. Hope my books get in wide enough circulation to change that. In the meantime, I'm thinking of telling people a different obscure car every time they ask.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Post by shtbxr22 »

I got about 57k to my century mark, but I will have her then. good job on the mileage. :)
Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

1998 VW GTi VR6 5MT (SOLD)
1992 SS 4EAT Winestone (minus 2 gears/SOLD)
1994 TW 4EAT Quicksilver (blown up/SOLD)
2007 Legacy SE 5MT Satin White Pearl (Mine now :))
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

scottzg wrote:staring over the side of mt. hamilton at the pretty/crumpled sti was VERY entertaining.

Low budget turbo mods, on the other hand, are pretty tedious.
Well look who it is!

And yes it was, it was especially fun when he first went barreling past on 80 doing much more than 80. Everyone knew what would happen.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

scottzg wrote:
*you can do a timing belt job in 25 minutes, in the dark, on the side of the road, with a flashlight, if you've done it a few times before.
That's definately true..... been there a time or two
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Congrats man, I would have killed to have one of these as early as you found one.
*205/50/15 is the best tire size for old legacies. period.
I'm really digging 225/45/16's on the 16x7 RS wheels.....
Haha, yes. However it's even easier in the garage before it breaks!
*unfortunately, understeer is faster.
Yes, but it doesn't look as cool!
* run over something big at freeway speeds and a lower control arm is sacrificed.
Unless it's a dead bear, and then you only trash the exhaust.
* 2.5rs seats are AWESOME!
Until you try 02-03 WRX seats!
Just keep replacing things! Don't let it die!

:-D
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

ScottyS wrote:
Ha Ha, you're short!
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

scottzg wrote:
ScottyS wrote:
Ha Ha, you're short!
6'2", otherwise I'm tall!

You are correct about the seats sitting too high, though. My torso actually fits in there OK, but I can't wear a helmet without bouncing off the roof. It's on my list of things to do to modify the rails.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430