Some issues with my 92 ss, please help.

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LookAsubie
First Gear

Some issues with my 92 ss, please help.

Post by LookAsubie »

Please read all of this and try to help me out..

Alright so i bought the car a few months ago and it had a few small issues when i got it, check engine light was always on for various small things. anyways i've had the codes read a couple times. one was the knock sensor and several other small things i dont remember.

but i replaced the knock sensor a few days ago with a brand new one.. the old was all cracked and beat up. the new knock sensor definately made a little difference. car was less laggy and hesitant feeling, throttle response was better and it just shifted through the gears alot more smoothly.
But. for some reason my battery light and ABS light will come on all the time and when that happens my headlights get brighter. ???
sometimes all the are on at once, CEL, battery, and ABS light. and the car will feel really laggy and hesitant. and every once in a while my cd player will just completely turn off, and then come back on a few seconds later. ?? some kind of electrical issues?

and heres the worst part.

yesterday i was coming up a hill towards my house doing like 65, and my car was super laggy, give it gas and like the exhaust seemed to get a little louder but the car wouldnt go any faster and was bogging down.. shift down to 4th, still bogging, slowing down, 3rd.. then i pull over because something was obviously wrong.

i pop the hood and my exhaust manifold under the valve covers was glowing orange.. wtf? and it was only in that one small spot. i was scared so i let it cool down for a bit and drove the rest of the way home very easily.

anyways today i went to a meet and drove about 60-70 miles back home and it did the exact same thing on that same hill. which isnt all that steep.

so im just wondering like wtf could make it get that hot in just that one spot?

and im really curios as to why its so hesitant and laggy and what the CEL and battery and ABS light have to do with that?

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Bad alternator. Could be causing a lean condition, which would explain the hot spot and the lag could be a limp-home compensation from the ECU.

Anyone else have a guess?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Sounds like a bad alternator (a diode died) and a clogged converter possibly or the car is running very messed up creating extremely high EGT's.

dittoo^^^
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Also.. forgot to mention. the temp guage inside the car was totally normal and the engine was not abnormally hot.. just that one spot was obviously very very hot.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

My initial thought was a clogged converter.

The alternator should be easy to rule out. Stick a vom on it and see what is being put out with the car running.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

the car has no cat. also the alt is about 7months old. the car didnt do it during the summer. does it when the heater is on. it does have ac delete.

my old car.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Update.

Bought a new alternator and that took care of the electrical problems.

But now it is running like crap again.

For instance. Ill be in second gear and smoothly get on the gas (not flooring it but kinda getting on it)
i can hear the turbo spool up and the exhaust gets louder and the rpms slowly and hesitantely go up but the car isnt really going anywhere and its just bogging. The CEL will come on and when i let off and let the rpms come back down the CEL turns off again..

Any ideas or help would be great.

Thanks.
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

It does sound like a clogged converter, but your said you are 100% sure there is no cat. Do you have a boost/vacuum gauge, what does the boost read? You could have a boost leak that maybe causing the turbo to overspool beyond it's eficiency range. Is the glowing exhaust after the turbo or before? Have you ever cleaned the MAF? How does it idle, ever check for metered air leaks or vacuum leaks? How much boost are you running on the VF-11?
93'TLegWag171k StockBlock,TD05,HallmanMBC,530cc,Walbro255,shortram,LWpulley,DIS-2,MSDcoil,cxrFMIC,trans cooler/external filter,WRX wheels/brakes,CES w/Borla muffler,QTP elec cutout,REVchip2,KYB GR2,GroupN tops/all fr bushings,STImounts,GSD3 tires,LM-1,etc
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Checked the codes and its the Knock sensor again. i replaced the knock sensor a few months back with a brand new one. so im pretty sure its something in the wiring, which i know nothing about.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Knock sensor wiring is relatively straight forward, a inner wire and outer shield, both that get connected to the ECU. Some on the forum (myself included), have replaced the old wire with microphone wiring (since it's shielded too) when the KS wiring is suspect. Are you sure the KS connector is tight and doesn't have any play?

Also, follow the FSM below to double-check the wiring is ok.

Did you clear the code(s) after installing the knock senor? If not, you'll need to do that otherwise you're just reading latent/old codes. If you purchased the evoscan/revscan ODB-I data cable, then you could reset the ecu / clear codes and examine various ECU paramaters, which might give some additional insight on what's wrong.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.