which one to choose? ( updated with poll)

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ss or gt?

ss
67%
gt
33%

Total votes: 15

Lego
First Gear

which one to choose? ( updated with poll)

Post by Lego »

well i have two options:

A. keep my 92 legacy ss, pros= turbo/unique/rebuilt motor ... cons= bad mpg
B. keep my 98 legacy gt, pros= good mpg/styling/102k... cons= no turbo

which one should i keep, one HAS to go...

Last edited by Lego on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1992 legacy h6
1998 legacy gt sedan: for sale soon
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

keep both ?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Well, you could:

A. Sell me the turbo really really cheap
B. Sell me the gt really really cheap
C. Sell me both for the price of one really really cheap car.

I like C
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Formerly of the USMB but moved from an RX to a Legacy
Lego
First Gear

Post by Lego »

i cant, one needs to go because i have school to pay for.
1992 legacy h6
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

The lgt is quite nice. The ss looks like a clown car, no offence.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Lego
First Gear

Post by Lego »

no offense taken but IMO i love the look of it and think its very unique over any other ss
1992 legacy h6
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

what you want for your 92?
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

I guess my option doesn't work then... on a serious note however I would say it depends on what you use your vehicles for. If you like to play around and can't leave well enough alone (like me), then I would say keep the turbo. Otherwise after a few months you'll be itching for a little project and talk yourself into spending money you don't have to build some sweet new toy(been there, done that...a lot). On the other hand if you just want a car to get you anywhere you want in any weather to do other stuff, I'd say the gt would be more "practical" and less maintenance.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Formerly of the USMB but moved from an RX to a Legacy
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

well seems like you need the newer possibly more reliable car so the ss has to go. Get school completed then get a sti.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Lego
First Gear

Post by Lego »

yes money is tight and mpg on my ss is pretty bad but could possibly get better if get the stagged chip from revtronix.
my ss seems to need fixing alot since its pretty modified but my 98 legacy its nearly bone stock and its hardly ever needs fixing but if i keep the legacy gt i will put my h6 turbo motor in it after school but will mod suspension ect before then. i have time to make my decision but that time depends on how long its going to take me to put the new crank my ss motor...
1992 legacy h6
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

the chip with no vacuum leaks will give you awesome fuel economy.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Steady 21mpg with the Rev Stg2 over 8000mi.......
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Well, considering it sounds like you like your SS, so I would say sell the GT since you can get more for it. Fix any problems with SS and honestly Id paint the wheels black or something so it doesnt attract so much attention from cops lol. Tickets don't help when you have low funds (I would know). I will definately give you the unique factor, but the wheels stick out wayyy too much for my taste but thats not what matters. Anyways thats just my .02
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Lego wrote:yes money is tight and mpg on my ss is pretty bad but could possibly get better if get the stagged chip from revtronix.
my ss seems to need fixing alot since its pretty modified but my 98 legacy its nearly bone stock and its hardly ever needs fixing but if i keep the legacy gt i will put my h6 turbo motor in it after school but will mod suspension ect before then. i have time to make my decision but that time depends on how long its going to take me to put the new crank my ss motor...
The H6 turbo in the LGT sounds much better. I choose the LGT to keep.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Whatever you can sell for more money.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

I'd keep the LGT, and save up the money for the H6 swap later. by that time it will probably be due for paint and you could go "Hi-Vis" on it like your SS is now....
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

1. keep the ss
2. keep the ss
3. seriously?? keep the SS

you will get more for the LGT, its waay clean and i love them both.

also consider what you will be doing for a career, which car will be better?

over time there is a fine line that develops between "car" and "project". make sure you arent living to finish a project car, gotta have goals above that.

but honestly i would keep both if possible.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Lego
First Gear

Post by Lego »

well which everone i can get more money for isnt part of it. the money doesnt matter so much, its just i can only keep one and i think ive done enough to my ss so i think its time to start putting mods towards the lgt.. besides the lgt with a boosted svx motor would be BADASS
1992 legacy h6
adema2626
Second Gear

Post by adema2626 »

Lego wrote:well which everone i can get more money for isnt part of it. the money doesnt matter so much, its just i can only keep one and i think ive done enough to my ss so i think its time to start putting mods towards the lgt.. besides the lgt with a boosted svx motor would be BADASS
Wont that put your car out of commission? I thought this was supposed to be a DD to get you to school and back?

You won't get the money you put into the SS back out of it. Why not keep it and upgrade it some more instead of dumping money into the LGT.

Also now your talking about upgrading the LGT. Wont that kill your gas mileage by modifying it? You lost me here completely on what you are trying to do.
-Aaron
93 Imp wag, 94 Imp wag WRX swap, 99 Imp Sedan WRX swap, 01 Imp Outback Sport, 05 Outback XT, 00 Outback, 98 Outback, 93 Leg touring, 93 Leg wag, 94 Leg wag lifted ej22t swap, 79 Brat 4x4 EA81 4spd d/r swap, 97 Crown Vic lifted
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

yea, your intentions are kind of unclear but they are both sweet cars, If money isn't an issue I'd keep both. Looks like you have alot of time/$ into the SS so it would be hard to sell it and like adema said you cant get that money back. The LGT would be a good DD especially when the SS is gettin worked on
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Lego
First Gear

Post by Lego »

ok well if i choose the legacy gt then once i finish school ( lil over 5 qtrs left) then i will begin installing my h6.

if i choose my ss then i will sell lgt once my ss is back and running, i love my ss to death but i just see more potential in the lgt and its also a better looking car all around. even if i get 2500-3k for my ss thats fine. my ss is pretty sick though and i turn heads alot but damn this thing requires alot of fixing... it went for a while where everything was perfect and now this shitty crank issue. but ill also put my h6 in my ss too

i thought my final decision was the lgt but you guys are making me have second thoughts again....
1992 legacy h6
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

good :-D
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

being in school doesn't allow a lot of time for distractions like cars not to mention the expenses that can pop up out of nowhere.
Id imagine your heart says SS but your brain says LGT. pretty tough call really. If it were me I'd keep the LGT since it will be the better DD type car that will help you concentrate on school and not get preoccupied with fixing and modding a car. when I was in school I had a truck I was trying to fix up into my new DD/wheeler and it was just a excersize in frustration to not be able to do what I wanted with it due to spending most of my waking hours at school or work, then snowboarding or drinking any free time. plus no money to actually do what I wanted with the truck. I ended up selling it for a loss when I needed money in a pinch. thats my little sob story about trying to have a project car while in school. I think its a bad idea. cars can wait, put as much effort as you can into doing well at school, and the less distractions you have the easier it will be to do that.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Legacy Konig
First Gear

Post by Legacy Konig »

You're talking about money being tight. Calculate your expenses to get a breal good gauge of how much you'll need over the next year and a quarter.

If things will be too tight, in terms of practicality keep the GT. You're in school, you know the SS will cost more in the long run. I think it would. Bad mpg for sure, and that's bad for the wallet.

Practicality.
1994 Legacy L
1990 Legacy LS "decommissioned"
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Here's my opinion, the Legacy SS is a pretty rare car, Legacy GT... not so rare. like a couple said before, if you give up your SS you're going to regret it later...

I wouldn't give up my SS for a LGT.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT