My JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: I now own a JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Post by entirelyturbo »

Proof that my car is a driver, not a garage queen. In fact, the weather got so bad I couldn't see past my hood at one point.

Okichi getting all wet in the Florida rain
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

I now own a JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Post by entirelyturbo »

Well, one of my shifter bushings fell out apparently, because my shifter just got sloppier literally overnight. Not as bad as Patti used to be, but bad enough to make me worried about it.

This should be a REALLY fun project, because not only are Subaru shifter bushings a pain in the ass, but because the two downpipes converge right underneath the shifter, meaning I'll have to take most of the exhaust system off the whole damn car to get to the shifter...

... also meaning I'll more than likely have to get custom downpipe gasket replacements made :-(

Wheel bearings and shifter bushings... I don't know why this is a problem with every damn Subaru I've ever owned.

Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That sucks!

Yeah I'm not a fan of doing shifter bushings either. I haven't done a set of wheel bearings yet....and I really would prefer to keep it that way.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Shifter bushings was a really easy job in my SS with a proper set of punches, I feel your pain on dropping the exhaust though, that would suck.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

For me, with the car only on jackstands at home, the pins themselves are almost always an entire day of work for me. I hammer and hammer and hammer on them (and I have more punches than I know what to do with) and usually by the time my elbow can't take it anymore, they finally give way.

Anyway, my friend Mike Kern got his race car running again after blowing up his engine last May, so I'm on his pit crew again this weekend for his double-header race at Daytona Int'l Speedway, and I brought the B4 along.

So, after I finished unloading, I made this Instagram picture really quick while my car was sitting in the garage next to the other race cars:

After the second race on Sunday, I should be able to take a few pictures of the car at various points around the Daytona facility... maybe even one on the actual track if I'm lucky.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Unfortunately, an oil cooler failure inside the radiator kept us from going racing yesterday. We were thinking about running and taking it easy just to get on the board and not DNF, but with this being the temperature in Florida yesterday...

(that's a little over 102 degrees Fahrenheit)

... we decided we'd rather pack it up than damage a brand-new engine.

So I'm back home, but I did get to take this shot as I drove through the tunnel under the banking in Turn 1 at Daytona:

*Formerly DerFahrer*

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: My JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Post by entirelyturbo »

Okay, so this totally happened the other day :lol:...

Driving around listening to Gran Turismo music

[/dork]

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

So what do you have your camera mounted on?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I actually just used my iPhone and wedged it under the rear center headrest...

... so make that [/ghetto dork].

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I see :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yeah, I was enjoying myself up until that A4 wagon (which was stanced beyond any regard for ride quality or handling) decided to pull in front of me and do 20 in a 35 :roll:

*Formerly DerFahrer*

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

One other thing I've wanted to say, now that I've owned this car for a while (two years already!), is that the BE/BH chassis Legacy has ultimately supplanted the BC/BJ/BF as my favorite Legacy.

I loved Patti to death, as you all know, but I've faced facts and accepted that there were a few things that I couldn't deal with anymore.

First off, the 1st-gens are just plain too small for me now. Though my driver's license says I'm 6'2", I'd be willing to bet that if I measured now, I'd be 6'3". So, no matter what comfortable position I put the seat in, my head was always a centimeter away from the headliner. People always used to say I looked like a giant when I was driving Patti. In the B4 (which I don't know if I've mentioned, I named Okichi), I have a lot more headroom, and I actually don't even have my seat all the way back, so I have quite a bit more legroom too.

The interior is much, much nicer in Okichi. I'm aware that's largely because it's a top-of-the-line B4, but even in some of the USDM BE/BHs I've driven, I always felt like they were just nicer cars to be in as far as ergonomics and the quality of the materials used.

There is one area in which Patti was quite noticeably superior, and that was the steering. Not only was the steering more direct (granted, I had Whiteline rack mounts on Patti), but there is actually WAY too much power assist in Okichi. It was actually one of the first things I noticed. Honestly, if I ever come across a good steering rack out of a 1st-gen postal wagon, and everything else matches up, I might just swap it in.

However, the BE/BH just plain handles better. Patti handled pretty well with 04 WRX springs on GR2s and a turbo rear swaybar... I actually ran the 2006 SE Subaru Challenge with that setup in STS class (against several suggestions I run in H-Stock) and I was competitive. I haven't autocrossed Okichi, nor do I plan to. But if I took an off-ramp with Patti at a certain speed, and then took the same off-ramp with Okichi at the same speed, I'd feel less on the limit in Okichi.

Finally, I have always felt that the BE/BH is the best looking Legacy ever, even when I had Patti. The BL/BP is a close second, as I think it's a good-looking car all around. But I think the BE/BH is a good-looking car all around too, while still reminding me of a Subaru, or at least what I have in my mind when I imagine what a Subaru should look like, if that makes any sense.

So, needless to say, I continue to remain extremely happy with it :)

I'm hoping to take a vacation sometime either in late 2013 or 2014, and if things work out the way I want them to, I'll be taking this car on a little cross-country adventure... something I've been wanting to do with it ever since I got it.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, each generation got a little bigger and for the most part that's ok, but then again I'm not 6'3" ;) Even the BL/BP Legacies are tad on the big side for me and the driving I like to do. Maybe that was because I had a wagon though. The 2010+ Legacies are just ginormous and look like toyotas.

As for the styling, I wasn't a huge fan of the US BE/BH Legacies. The JDM BE/BH's looked better. However, for me I think from a pure asthetic point of view I like the BL/BP best with an honerable mention to the BD/BG Legacy. For an old-school retro look, especially the GT's.....they were smokin.

Well if you happen to make it my way on your cross country trip, be sure teo let me know. I know the last time we tried to meet up in FL when I was picking up the AWD & 5spd donor car, things didn't work out too well since I was making on the fly repairs by slapping grease into the open CV axle :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Glad I'm not tall. I think a big part of the 1st gen's really extraordinary steering feel (at least with an aftermarket wheel) is the power steering system itself. I don't know if it's something with the rack or the pump, but I'd love to know myself as steering feel is far more important to me than acceleration or lateral g's and I'd like to make sure I can get something close to it on my own vehicle (if I have to have power steering at all).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

1st-gen power steering pumps are the only Subaru power steering pumps I've ever handled that did not have electrical pressure sensors in them. Even a PS pump I took off an old EJ18 out of a 93 Impreza had a pressure sensor on it.

That might be entirely coincidental, but I've never seen anything in the 1st-gen Legacy PS pumps I've rebuilt that has anything to do with varying or monitoring PS fluid pressure.

I always thought the BD/BK/BG Legacies looked a little bulbous. Even the BC/BJ/BFs look sharper than they did, IMO.

Anyway, yeah, Josh, I remember that. Funny thing is, they actually built an eastbound ramp going from the Florida Turnpike onto the East-West Expressway not long after that. That would have made it much easier for you, but oh well. If I come through your way, I'll let you know.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Some overseas BC/BJ/BFs had a variable assist duty cycle soliniod on the pump ("Sporty steering" button cars).

The pressure switch is for idle control and smog reasons on the newer cars. It just lets the ECU know when the PS pump is under load.

Personally, I like BG(?, low roof) wagons in GT spec. Just looks 'right' to me.

I borrowed a BE GT sedan for a few weeks. Nice car, but I couldn't get used to the feel of the rear suspension in normal driving. It just felt 'soft'. I never drove it in anger though.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I replaced the coolant temperature sensor last night, and I was surprised at how many driveability issues that fixed.

I was suspecting it was bad, as I would occasionally have a cold starting issue, where it would crank for several seconds before firing. But the car would be quite temperamental when cold as well, stumbling and reluctant to accelerate. That issue is now gone as well.

The guys at the local Subaru dealership know me well enough that they trusted me to wander around the shop looking at customers' cars until I found a coolant temp sensor that matched :) It turned out that the sensor from a 2007 Impreza 2.5i worked, with the triangular 3-wire plug.

I'm gonna attempt the shifter bushings soon, although I am obviously not looking forward to it.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Cool! Yeah the Subaru ECU's really have a lot of temperature dependent stuff built into them and it can create a lot of issues.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Opposed forces has the edm version of your car:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/en_b12/type_11/
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

My JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Post by entirelyturbo »

Sweet! Thanks Mike!

That helps confirm a few USDM parts that fit, like that shifter joint that I need to replace...

... and also lets me know the stuff that I'm on my own with, like the alternator :lol:

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What's different about the alternator? They should be pretty similar amoung most subarus.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

My JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Post by entirelyturbo »

I'm sure I can find something USDM that will match, but the part number in that catalogue doesn't work.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I'm making good friends with a serious car guy in Orlando, who has an extensive collection of cars that includes this Holden Commodore Ute. The body was imported from Australia and converted to LHD, with the engine, transmission, and dashboard from a wrecked 2004 Pontiac GTO.

From what he knows, it's one of about four Utes in the country.

Anyway, I got him to bring it out to the local Subaru meet, and I took this picture before we left.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Utes are so awesome! I'd buy one if Chevy ever got off their lazy asses and brought them here.
Well, maybe not. They're not very practical. But I would buy a G8 and put a ozzie Commodore front end on it.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT