The Official Cheap Mods Thread

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

legacy92turbo
In Neutral

Re: The Official Cheap Mods Thread

Post by legacy92turbo »

smoked out tails on sedan, $12 VHT night shades.

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 011409.jpg
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

legacy92turbo wrote:smoked out tails on sedan, $12 VHT night shades.

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 011409.jpg
I. LIKE. IT. I've been wondering how that would look too. I can only imagine how sweet my car would be with smoked tail lights. Definatly going to do this as well. :D
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
legacy92turbo
In Neutral

Post by legacy92turbo »

just you tube how to do it properly and you will get good results, in the pic i havnt put any polishing compound on yet so it will look nicer too, heres the video i learned from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKA0ElK ... 6AFFDC3967
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I watched that video a few days ago actually. Great video. I already had some niteshades and a spare set of lights to practice on and I was going to post pics up here when I was done. I have a couple ideas on how I'm going to do it but it will probably only be 1 coat of niteshades because I don't really care for the blacked out look. I might just tint the silver parts and not the red. Gonna try both ways and see what I like.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Danny-G wrote:I think a/c removal counts as a cheap mod. I really only advise it if you either one, don't use a/c at all two, the system has no charge or three, if something is broken like the condenser. The first thing I noticed was the temperature needle stopped about five needle widths below its previous point, the second thing I noticed was the car pulling a little harder from stops and I would say thats due to tossing all the weight of the system(about 35 pounds I'm guessing) off the car. Its a totally free mod as long as you don't use the a/c, it has no charge, or something in the system is broken. For me it was all three of those reasons, the condenser was bent, there was no charge, and I never use a/c. If you remove it while it still has a charge, legally, you're supposed to get it discharged professionally but you can discharge it at home by slowly loosening one of the bolts on the compressor untill you hear a hissing, then just let it be untill the hissing stops, then do it again untill the bolt is out and the line unhooked.
You feel more pull because you're taking load of the engine, since it no longer has to run that belt you effectively are getting slightly more power to the ground. Of course the weight savings doesn't hurt either.

After the last few summers my AC stays. I still need to recharge it, got a friend that's certified so I can buy it through him.
beatersubi wrote:You should put something like this behind the flaps to secure the screws, if you didn't:

Usually found in the ironically named 'help' section at most parts stores.

Also, the same style flaps can be made with IKEA, or similar, cutting boards, which are cheap.
Ikea flaps aren't worth the trouble, I bought 4, they're a lot skinnier than the Rally Armour flaps and half of them are a slightly transparent gray instead of black, they looked really dumb. At $25 shipped might as well do Rally Armour.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Apex3 wrote:You feel more pull because you're taking load of the engine, since it no longer has to run that belt you effectively are getting slightly more power to the ground. Of course the weight savings doesn't hurt either.
The AC pulley is more or less free spinning without the AC compressor clutch engaged and would not draw any substantial HP to spin it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

TurnNburn wrote:...So riveting one in is your only option) so i just used some clear silicone window caulking and sealed the stock glass, which weighs 10lbs, into the stock position.
How does the stock glass stay put? Doesn't it attach to the sunroof assembly that you removed?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Legacy777 wrote:
Apex3 wrote:You feel more pull because you're taking load of the engine, since it no longer has to run that belt you effectively are getting slightly more power to the ground. Of course the weight savings doesn't hurt either.
The AC pulley is more or less free spinning without the AC compressor clutch engaged and would not draw any substantial HP to spin it.
That's exactly what I always think when people say they removed their belt.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Legacy777 wrote:
Ahh, fair enough, wasn't the case with e30s AFAIK, but I could be wrong there too.

It's always been one of those "mods" that seemed pointless if you aren't gonna be on the track, so I never really cared to look into it much.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Legacy777 wrote:
TurnNburn wrote:...So riveting one in is your only option) so i just used some clear silicone window caulking and sealed the stock glass, which weighs 10lbs, into the stock position.
How does the stock glass stay put? Doesn't it attach to the sunroof assembly that you removed?
Yes the glass will come down with the sunroof assembly but its like barely attached to the track so it is easily removed. But i used some of these clips that started off life holding down pieces of trim inside of car. There is a little lip that comes down from the roof where the window usually seals so i just slid these clips on there evenly spaced about 8 inches from each other except in the rear since the window needs rooms to slide up and down there. Sorry for crappy resolution, my camera doesnt really like doing close ups. They are S shaped and have little teeth that bite in when stretched open. I initially just put them up there to hold the window up while i did the glueing, but ended deciding it would be best to just glue them in place for an extra protection.

I just got done with removing the amber plastic inserts today. Im glad i have a 91 cause it took like 10 minutes for both sides. I think it looks a little better. Not bad for $3 for new lights 1156A BTW.

I also got around swapping my auto seat belts finally. I just sort of repurposed my old back seat belts for now until i can get something that fits a little better. The idea just sort of came to me yesterday since all of the hardwhere is the same and they serve the same purpose that maybe they would work. Well i threw them on and.... whammy!!! It fits in there without modification and functions properly but looks kind of stupid. Its just a for now set up, but im still surpised that it worked. I dont know if the way i set it up would fit with interior because of the way the bracket sticks out because i dont have any of those plastic pieces in the way. It is kind of slapped together but i am relieved to have some restraints that will actually stop me!!

So if you add up the seat belt track and motor assemblies, the lap belts, and the belts coming out of the center console mounts and the entire metal bracket holding that in place it equals out to 24 pounds for anyone interested. Although i did technically ad like 5 pounds by putting the "new" belts in. I have way more pictures if anyone is interested, i dont really think its important enough to clutter up this thread. Im starting to think i might need a build thread of my own one of these days.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

"Coffee Cup" mod? I searched but didn't find anything as to what the heck that is.
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Q's about Coffee Cup Mod/De-Snorkle
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=30169

Its just a knickname someone gave this mod since they used originally used a coffee cup to do it. The name just stuck. Its purpose is to replace the "turbo silencer". I just took a section of left over 3'' exhaust tubing. Drilled 4 1/2'' holes. Screwed in 4 bits of threaded pipe and JB welded it in there.
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

I should guess this has nothing to do with the N/A's.
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Good guess. Coffee cup mod is for turbo models only. But this thread is about any 1st gen legacy.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Oh my bad. Perhaps i should have asked to clerify.

On another note. I wanted to add another post about cleaning up the exterior on the cheap. Paint the rims. Mine where in aweful condition and iv scene several other people on here with the stock colors flaking off.
The paint i used, Dupli-Color DE1604 Ceramic Universal Gold Engine Paint, was only 5 bucks at NAPA and i only used 1 can for all 4 rims. Plus some 100 grit, some 400 grit sandpaper, pieces of paper and some masking tape. It took about an hour per tire because i took my time and made sure everything was prepped right. I think it turned out pretty good.
legacy92turbo
In Neutral

Post by legacy92turbo »

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nice! It's a bit crooked though. Not my cup of tea with the stickers but cool nonetheless. If you put a couple "[img]"%20"[/img]" tags on that link it will display the image in the thread. Remove the quotation marks of course.
legacy92turbo
In Neutral

Post by legacy92turbo »

ya they are hard to put on good, ive tried the image tag things then when i view my post it doesnt work, i just put the link between the two [img] tags ?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah but the second one has to look like this [/img] or you can just go into the full editor and highlight your link and click the IMG button and it makes the tags around the link for you.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

kimokalihi wrote:I think manual windows is another canadian item but I'm not sure.
I know my 92 na has power windows and the 93 ss did and my 92 ss also has power windows also with my friends fathers 94 ss power i dont know about 90-91 but i know 92-93-94 have power windows here in canada i think its just the seat belts that are diff
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh, well maybe they are standard in other countries. I know some countries get the legacy with a carb engine. :shock:
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

TurnNburn wrote:Oh my bad. Perhaps i should have asked to clerify.

On another note. I wanted to add another post about cleaning up the exterior on the cheap. Paint the rims. Mine where in aweful condition and iv scene several other people on here with the stock colors flaking off.
The paint i used, Dupli-Color DE1604 Ceramic Universal Gold Engine Paint, was only 5 bucks at NAPA and i only used 1 can for all 4 rims. Plus some 100 grit, some 400 grit sandpaper, pieces of paper and some masking tape. It took about an hour per tire because i took my time and made sure everything was prepped right. I think it turned out pretty good.

A deck of cards works pretty well too
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
samurai
First Gear

Post by samurai »

here's a cheap mod i did to fix the fogging up of the lights after i wet sannded them i bought Ebay film to cover them and it works surprising ly well as well as changing the beam to a different color...i live close to a police station and even drove by officers here and it hasn't been a problem. here's a pic of my legacy with them on...and ironic the first pic i've posted here.

oh and i got some yellow foglights too...held in there with electrical tape and zip ties...been about 4 months and it hasn't fallen yet
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

So how much was the stuff? And do they make clear?
Was it for your lights or just a random sheet?

Dang...I like those rims on the RS next to you.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Yellow lights reminded me. I don't know that I'd call it a mod, but you can make your pitted turn signals look new if you spray the lens with clear coat, wet sand, and polish. Mine still look great and it's been about 40k miles. and a couple years.

As for the film, yes you can get clear, ebay is the knockoff, never tried it so I can't comment on quality, Lamin-x will probably run you ~$50 or so for the headlights and it comes in clear in two thicknesses(it's protection too), yellow, blue, and smoked.