The Official Cheap Mods Thread

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SWRT
Third Gear

Re: The Official Cheap Mods Thread

Post by SWRT »

So this is the list of cheap mods so far?
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

Can I paint the chrome pieces instead of using tape?
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Baddog wrote:Can I paint the chrome pieces instead of using tape?
Yea, just gotta make sure you scuff it up first with a scotch brite pad or something. It's more trouble than tape, looks the same, and doesn't last any longer, and actually in my experience tape lasts longer.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

I think a/c removal counts as a cheap mod. I really only advise it if you either one, don't use a/c at all two, the system has no charge or three, if something is broken like the condenser. The first thing I noticed was the temperature needle stopped about five needle widths below its previous point, the second thing I noticed was the car pulling a little harder from stops and I would say thats due to tossing all the weight of the system(about 35 pounds I'm guessing) off the car. Its a totally free mod as long as you don't use the a/c, it has no charge, or something in the system is broken. For me it was all three of those reasons, the condenser was bent, there was no charge, and I never use a/c. If you remove it while it still has a charge, legally, you're supposed to get it discharged professionally but you can discharge it at home by slowly loosening one of the bolts on the compressor untill you hear a hissing, then just let it be untill the hissing stops, then do it again untill the bolt is out and the line unhooked.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I did that too. Didn't realize how much was in there. I figured there wasn't any pressure left in it but boy was I wrong! I actually felt bad listening to it hiss. It hissed for about 5 mins straight. Amazing. Probably ate a nice big hole in the ozone layer. :shock: I think it's more than 35 lbs if you remove all of it. I ripped out my condensor in the dash and the cooler in front of the radiator and the AC compressor and belt and all the lines. I wanted to keep it pretty bad but with this engine swap it wasn't compatible without customizing something.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Danny-G wrote:I think a/c removal counts as a cheap mod. I really only advise it if you either one, don't use a/c at all two, the system has no charge or three, if something is broken like the condenser. The first thing I noticed was the temperature needle stopped about five needle widths below its previous point, the second thing I noticed was the car pulling a little harder from stops and I would say thats due to tossing all the weight of the system(about 35 pounds I'm guessing) off the car. Its a totally free mod as long as you don't use the a/c, it has no charge, or something in the system is broken. For me it was all three of those reasons, the condenser was bent, there was no charge, and I never use a/c. If you remove it while it still has a charge, legally, you're supposed to get it discharged professionally but you can discharge it at home by slowly loosening one of the bolts on the compressor untill you hear a hissing, then just let it be untill the hissing stops, then do it again untill the bolt is out and the line unhooked.

I yanked mine because we live in washington... F*CK A/C :)
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

That's not really a mod. 35lbs helps, but probably not that noticeable. I think you'd be better off just taking the AC belt off your car.

Then again in your case Danny it was best to pull it cause replacing those parts wouldn't really be worth it.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Rally Armor Universal Basic mud flaps $15.99 - http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/univers ... p-274.html

"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Just ordered a set of these last night. What did you need to mount them?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Link to my install: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... start=1300

You'll need these tools:

And these screws from Wesco Auto Paint Supplies.

speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

I am so going to copy u and order those, they look great!!
93 legacy l
to much to list....
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks they rock and so far zero splatter behind my flaps. Dancing banana.
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Plus what I like, how u mounted them slightly tucked in more then the standard rallyarmor. It gives it a cleaner look, deffinatly ordering these tonight
93 legacy l
to much to list....
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah you can mount them however you like. I am going clean with this car. Have several more mods in mind to clean it up some more. Actually have a couple things in the mail already... :) I've seen all kinds of styles of mounting them. Some people stick them way out and some do them like mine or some barely have any hanging down past the bottom of the wheel well and some are nearly dragging on the ground.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

You should put something like this behind the flaps to secure the screws, if you didn't:
Usually found in the ironically named 'help' section at most parts stores.

Also, the same style flaps can be made with IKEA, or similar, cutting boards, which are cheap.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh really? My mom had some of those thin plastic cutting boards but these are 3X thicker than those. Not sure if they're the same style you're talking about though.

I should definitely put those behind the fenders. Might be kind of difficult due to the way the fender line is in there but I'll have to look.
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

These would probably fit better considering they're already shaped.

Mine should be in in a few days. Thanks for the writeup, man.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Even being universal they fit pretty damn good.
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Holy crap these are huge! haha

I'm not sure how I'm going to space them yet, but I'll figure something out. May cut mine
to make them fit easier into the fender. Not sure if I want them wider on the outside to
prevent rocks/mud from hitting the side of my car or if I want them behind the rear wheels
so I wont have to use my rear wiper as much.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I wanted them out a little so I don't have all that nasty mud splatter on my car and also just for the looks.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

I didnt like the idea of just using tape over my chrome so i took one of those green kitchen sponges, scuffed up all of the chrome on the car and gave it a coat of black. I also painted the rims since the stock finish was flaking off and made the car look terrible. The car looks good at 5 feet now instead of at 50 with your eyes squinted.

I aslo removed my AC. It didnt work, wouldnt have used it if it did, and reduce wieght. And as far as the weight goes i also sptripped my interior to bare metal. Removed the sprayed on sound deadoning which was about 60lbs, back seats about 50, and im especially happy with the sunroof delete as well. Again, it didnt work, i wouldnt have used if it did, and it leaked, which is why i tore out the carpet and stuff. It sat for months with tons of moisture in it, thanks to the previous owner, which led to sickening amounts of black mold! Bleh. The entire sunroof assembly with the glass weighs 48lbs up there!!! Which i thought was shocking, but its really made of some unecassarily thick steel. Im not prepared to rivet in a new piece of sheet metal (i welded in my last one on my RS impreza and it warped the :oops: :?: :!: :idea: out of my roof causing water to pool up there and just look terrible all around. So riveting one in is your only option) so i just used some clear silicone window caulking and sealed the stock glass, which weighs 10lbs, into the stock position. saving me 38lbs or so from the roof of my car which grately reduced my body roll. Award winning? No. Unecassary? Yes. Worth it? Most Definitely :D
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nice. I would remove my interior but it's in great shape and looks good and without it I'm sure the exhaust would give me a headache. So you lost 148 lbs? Pretty nice. Get that carbon fiber sunroof and drop another 10 lbs! Oh man, then get rid of your automatic seat belts and lose some more weight. Manual windows, small fuel cell, lightweight 1 piece seats with harnesses, lightweight racing wheel, wingless trunk, AC evaporator delete...lots of ideas.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Well if you add everything up im actually down a little more then 300 pounds. Those were just the biggest drops. Others not on the list were the AC system including the condensor and evaporator 45ish lbs, switching out the stock exhaust for stainless steel was another 29(I have 3in TBE with no cats so its a bit loud but its worth the countless smiles :D )And then you combine the door liners, head liner, center console, rear seat belts, all of the speakers, radio, carpet, spare tire, the trunk storage bin and everything in that, and all of the un needed trim makes up the rest. I had a comprehensive list written up about exactly what everything weighed to the pound, but i cant seem to find it after moving. Iv been meaning to head down to the truck stop down the street to see what im sitting at right now.I actually dropped the gas tank a few months ago because someone carelessly drilled a ground wire for a sound system underneath the back seat... and punched right into the gas tank, so when i filled up, liquid fuel would pour into my back seat. lol. good thing i dont smoke!!! I ended up patching the hole and putting it back up there, but that sucker is heavy. A fuel cell would really be awesome once this thing is as rally ready as i want it to be.

The biggest thing on my list to drop weight is this stupid 4EAT! I hear its possibly a hundred or more pounds lighter?! Not to mention a gazillion times more fun to drive!!! I miss shifting... *Sad Panda Face* But eventually things like skid plates, light bar and roll cage will put all of that weight and more back in, but thats a whole nother thread.

Next is to get rid of those auto seat belts! Less wieght... maybe but mostly cause those things are scary! i dont even think mine are capable of locking anymore which worries me. Not to mention, how many of us use that stupid lap belt? But i might have a friend fab a harness bar for some 5 points since they will cost about the same at a set of manual belts from canada. And some seats that actually hold me in place would be sweet too. lol. I am going to be getting a smaller steering wheel here pretty soon from a friend which im pretty happy about. Not so much for weight reasons but the stock wheel is so wide its kind of annoying. Iv though about manual windows before, but i havent done research on compatibility or even where i could find them and for how much. If i knew they were free it would be done already! lol.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think manual windows is another canadian item but I'm not sure.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

There was a rare stripped early model that had unpainted bumpers and a short black trim instead of the red reflector between the lights (not sure about the sedan, but definitely with the wagon) and I'm almost positive they had manual windows, but I think the last time I looked into the interior of one was 15 years ago or more. Also, those helper clips for the screws to secure the mud flaps is what the factory uses. As a note, the OEM ones were cheap when I replaced them years ago (assuming they're even available anymore). I don't like the added drag, but it's a Subaru, which means driving in bad weather and gravel and paint isn't cheap.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.