Is the key code stamped anywhere?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

brand
First Gear

Is the key code stamped anywhere?

Post by brand »

My key for my 94 SS broke today. It's not the original key, nor do I have the original key, so I don't have the key code. I'm attempting to get it by VIN but I don't think it was entered. I know on the older EA powered cars it was stamped on the passenger side lock actuator arm; I am hoping it is stamped somewhere on the BCs as well. Does anyone know? If not, I think my only option is re-keying, and I'm tight on money right now. Thanks!
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Re: Is the key code stamped anywhere?

Post by Bheinen74 »

the dealer can do it by vin if you have proof you own the car. The last 94SS i had came with no key, but they cut it off vin
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Not all the key codes got entered by dealers when the cars were sold. You likely have a better chance since it's a "newer" first gen legacy.

Check out this post:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 97#p216997

There appears to be another place to get the key code
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

ive been lucky twice, the first time my key snapped in half in the trunk so i had to ride my bike to subaru and did not have a VIN or a code. they sadi they didnt know if they could do it but they gave it a shot and didnt even make me pay for it and guess what it worked. the second time was with my SS and i had the VIN still no code but when they put in the VIN they still could find the right pattern. however they were able to use the key and make a new one and it worked. so what im saying is if you take it to them they should have no problem if there good at there job. both keys were not orginals. cost me 12 bucks the second time. hope this helps.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
92wagon
Second Gear

Post by 92wagon »

I once bought a 79 Corolla wagon that had no key.. I went to the local locksmith and they said if i took the passenger side door lock out they could make me a key..... if that helps at all.
1992 Legacy L Wagon 4WD Auto 219K
1994 Legacy SunSport Wagon FWD 249K
1994 Legacy Ti 4WD Wagon 5speed 182K (162K on engine)
1991 Legacy L 4WD Wagon 5speed 202k
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah that is another option. I have also bought a new lock cylinder for my driver's door, took it to a lock smith and they rekeyed it for normal key.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

The key's cut-code is indicated via a stamp on the pass. side lock cyl. Also, you can get it via a VIN from Subaru, provided you have proof of ownership like those mentioned above... If you dont have original locks and want to keep the same key, which is slightly expensive in most places, as long as your door locks match your ign. cylinder... You can take the door lock and trunk lock to a locksmith... Dont bother buying blanks even, they'll have em way cheaper...

The latter is what I did for my Suzuki Swift. A guy here in Macon cut the keys for $30 or $40 and they worked great!
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I've used the key on the door lock twice now on 2 different SS's.

One thing to note, both of my locks had 5 digits stamped on them. Through trial and error, the dealer and I found that the first digit needs to be replaced with an X. So if your code says 41234, you tell them to cut you a key for X1234.

It was $20 at my dealership, $10 to cut and $10 for a metal key.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.