Bang for BUCK!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

darkcrave
Second Gear

Bang for BUCK!

Post by darkcrave »

Okay.... I have been going back and forth..
I really want to do a EJ20K swap here in the near feature. ( Local JDM importer is selling whole V3 STI Clips for about 1500$. )
Want i was thinking about doing is the GC8 2 door and swap it in, but i hate hate hate wiring. And the time that will be involved i think will be much more then the SS OMG.

but

if its worth while to swap the whole setup in the legacy ( meaning time and ease of install )

what to do what to do...

Heres what im looking for:

12secs in the QT Mile ( Full interior )

Plans of adding to the EJ20K ( Most likely )

GS Header
EWG
20G Turbo
800CC Injectors
Megasquirt system

Realistic goal?

How much wiring is involved in the EJ20K to Legacy SS?

I have read that the EJ20G is easier, but how much?

I was reading
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 95&start=0
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: Bang for BUCK!

Post by PhyrraM »

Read Kimo's trials and tribulations. He installed a Forester EJ20G. That install is virtually identical to an EJ20K install.

Throttlebody, MAF/airbox are the biggest problems.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

Because its jecs? Because i have the RobTube in the car right now, along with the airbox removed so im not sure if that helps a bit?
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You might be able to get into 12's with that setup. Not sure though. Custom tune will help a lot I think. According to my dyno app on my ipod my fastest time has been a 14.6...15 lbs of boost 525s TD05-18g Rob Tuned with 4.444 FD. This is with a low compression engine though, lower than normal and not as much boost as I'd like but I'm working on that hopefully friday.

Did you say you have a GC8? I would definitely swap that before an SS. Wiring might be a pain in the ass but you'll have a much lighter car and stiffer chassic and more available aftermarket parts. The 94 GC8 sedan is 2400 lbs. 600 lbs lighter than an SS. All other years of the GC8 and newer chassis' are heavier but still much lighter than an SS. That 94 is right in the weight class with civics with far more hp if you swap it.

If you swap the SS you will have a hell of a time with the power steering lines. They don't fit the DOHC heads so you'll have to bend them to fit which sucks because they kink easily. You'll have to swap your throttle body onto it and mount it upside down which requires a custom spacer. Group A makes them but I think they're out of business now but there's probably others. I made my own out of 1/4" aluminum.

Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head that will be a PITA but I bet there's more. I vote GC8 though. What do you get for $1,500 on that front clip? Trans? Axles? Rear diff? ECU? Wiring?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

I think with a little more toying around you should be running much faster then that. That setup you have it badass and was no half fasted job. lol

No GC8, but i have seen soooo many pop up on Craigslist for less then $1000 and low as $500 all with straight bodies. Thats what i have really been looking at is the weight issue, i know the lighter you are the faster you are. another 94 Impreza popping up 2 door would be my dream!

I Know in both swaps will have its difficulties but im doing this in a urban area with limited amount of hand tools, No powertools, no cherry picker and a space about 10x15. So if wiring is the only real issue with the GC8, then that should be no big deal

Front clip will included the engine, trans, diff,driveline,axles,dash,wiring,ecu ( I think i can talk him into giving me the body parts, seats, and wheels if i really try :) Im going to go bs with him in person when i figure out what im doiing)
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's slow because the WRX block has lower compression than the forester block did and I can't run more boost because it spikes and hits fuel cut if I set it any higher than 15 lbs which is why I'm getting a new chip with no fuel cut and then I'll turn it up to 18.

Definitely GC8 then. No doubt about it. Swap as much as you can get. How you doing this without a cherry picker?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

OK nevermind it was 2,500 and it's a 93 L AWD GC8. Got mixed up. Here's the list of curb weights I just put up.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48062

2,500 lbs compared to the 91 SS I have 3,140 according to this list is a big difference and if you strip it out you could lose quite a bit more depending on how far you're willing to take it.
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

-600 lbs, wooow. well i just ordered a UK EJ20k/G Car manual for all the wiring so, i guess the first step is to go pick up the engine :)
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sweet. Build thread. Do it.
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

I was trying to find the info, but what is the weight difference 2Door VS 4Door? If any
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Depends what year. They're all different. The list I found doesn't show a 2 door 93. Did they even have a couple in 93?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just something to remember.....curb weight is a mythical number you will never see. It's with nothing in the car, including fluids, etc. Somewhere between curb & gross vehicle weight is a realistic number.

Here's weight for my car, without turbo
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18575

I thought I had weighed the car after the turbo swap, but I can't seem to find that info.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Your numbers look about right. When I had my car aligned the first time it was 3,015 lbs on the rack and that was with probably 1/4 tank and no one in it.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

yea i know where theres a 93-95 impreza 4 door its been sitting the whole summer i dont care if the motor is shot ill just put my spare 22t in it. i might stop and ask about it this month the only thing its missing is a front bumper