Are you using R12 in your A/C?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

91Beater
First Gear

Are you using R12 in your A/C?

Post by 91Beater »

Are you running R12 as specified by system or are you using an alternative?
vrg3
Vikash

Re: Are you using R12 in your A/C?

Post by vrg3 »

Retrofitting to R134a is pretty easy to do; I've done it on two of my cars.

Are you looking at some of the hydrocarbon alternatives?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

vrg3 wrote:Retrofitting to R134a is pretty easy to do; I've done it on two of my cars.

Are you looking at some of the hydrocarbon alternatives?
No, I use real R12 and plan on... but something is wrong with my compressor or expansion system so :( I was just curious if anyone else stick with the real deal.

Really no reason not to use R12 unless you intend on keeping on topping off a chronic leak regularly.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, R12 does work pretty great. It's just getting harder and more expensive to get ahold of. And all systems do leak at least a little over time.

I can't recall any board members mentioning refilling their systems with Freon, but that doesn't mean nobody does.

What's going wrong with your system?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Been meaning to pick some up, hopefully my compressor isn't effed by now.
91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

vrg3 wrote:Yeah, R12 does work pretty great. It's just getting harder and more expensive to get ahold of. And all systems do leak at least a little over time.

I can't recall any board members mentioning refilling their systems with Freon, but that doesn't mean nobody does.

What's going wrong with your system?
Compressor makes loud knocking sound and it doesn't cool at all. Both lines get hot, but no cooling at all.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Was there a period of time (even just an hour or so) when the compressor was knocking but you were still getting some cooling?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If your compressor is knocking, it's dead....or will be. I've gone through three compressors that were knocking and/or seized up before buying a brand new one from the dealer.

The issues with these compressors stem from their variable vane geometry. They work great to provide cooling without the hot and then cold affect of the compressor cycling. However if they don't get adequate lubrication the head end of the compressor will just crap out.

My recommendation would be to thorough flush the system, since it will have metal compressor flakes in there, change the receiver drier, pull a vacuum, and recharge with r134a. I've been using r134a in my Legacy since around 2002, and it cools plenty good enough, and even better than most new cars. Keep in mind I live in Houston....where it's HOT and HUMID during the summer.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm