SO, N/A wagon.. Turbo Sedan.

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

phantommaggot
In Neutral

SO, N/A wagon.. Turbo Sedan.

Post by phantommaggot »

Might go look at a N/A 92 ice blue (dont know real paint name) Wagon tomorrow. AWD 5 speed.
Its clean and has 200k. Could probably get it for 1000 or less.

There is also a Sport Sedan in my area for 500 with bad trans. 130k miles.
May look at that later and buy as a project.

SO,
How are the 2.2s at 200+k? (wagon has 213k)
My first car was a 91 FWD auto sedan. I've wanted a sport sedan and kept a soft spot for the first gen legacy ever since. I've had quite a few cars since then and have gotten to a point where I could use a 'daily do it all' And this wagon popped up. Hopefully it works out.

Any B series legacy issues i should know about/ look for? Mine had this really gay leak somewhere in the windshield, the water came in right at the rear view mirror.

As far as the 91 sedan. If I get the wagon I'll ride down and look at it. If it has LSD and runs good (other than busted trans) maybe it will be worth picking up. Either to use as a swap for the wagon or put a tranny in it and get running (depending on condition of car of course)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SO, N/A wagon.. Turbo Sedan.

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

At 200k miles, I think the big question you have to ask is has the oil been changed regularly and has the engine been maintained. If the oil's been changed regularly, and all the normal maintenance has been done, it should be fine. You can do a compression and/or leak down test to confirm the engine's health.

The windshield leak you mentioned sounds like someone didn't replace the windshield properly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
phantommaggot
In Neutral

Post by phantommaggot »

Ya, IDK if 200k is a lot for a subaru or not.
The car has some other problems too, It needs front brakes, Drivers window is on the way out, and it apperently needs an exhaust. (those little things got added to the CL add monday)

The one I had was a POS Auto.. It kept breaking flexplates at 147k. Got crushed. -_- IDK about weather the windshield was replaced, I never replaced it..

I really want a sport sedan. But the closest one is about 3 hours away with a blown tranny -_-. (That I could find scouring craigslist) I looked for a tranny on car-part.. the only one for a 91 legacy listed was in Staunton va (about 3 hours the other way LOL)

I saw a really rough one in c-burg the other day, I felt bad for it considering its condition and the condition of the owner I could tell where that car was headed :(
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

I rebuilt an EJ22 that had around 200k on it, and all the cylinders still had a good cross-hatch on them. I didn't do a compression test (like an idiot), but other than the immense amount of crud built up on the piston tops and a good bit on the heads, and the rings were definitely not great and the ring grooves were full of oily sludge crap, it ran like a top right up until the day I pulled the engine out.

Similarly, I just pulled the 187k motor out of my 94 about 3 months ago, and the compression test came out great. One cyl was at 166 psi (and I can see a little oil past the exhaust valves when looking through the exhaust ports at the manifold), 2 cyls were at 180 psi, and one at 182 psi. This is all checking the compression using the starter motor with the fuel pump and coil unplugged.

Anyways, if an EJ22 has been maintained properly, 200k is not that worrisome if most of the miles were long highway drone miles. Compression and leakdown test can tell a great story, other than a good visual inspection.

Front brakes are easy and cheap. Exhaust rusty and falling apart? Where are you located?

Pun intended, YMMV. But injectors are cleaned/flow tested pretty cheap, leaks are not that difficult to fix (except the oil separator plate which requires separating the eng/trans), and obviously the timing belt + water pump.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
phantommaggot
In Neutral

Post by phantommaggot »

Going to look at the wagon tomorrow.
He says the exhaust is rusted out, makes noise but as driveable. (Looking into modding cat-backs vs getting a magnaflow and resonator and having one welded in with regular ol crush bends -_-)
It is gonna need a drivers window regulator (subaruparts.com says its 75 bucks... )

I'm trying to find a way to get ahold of the people with the turbo sedan with bad trans. But i cant seem to find a legit number. They listed the add in Johnson City TN without an area code. I tried with the Johnson city area code and got some girls voice mail... left a message, haven't been called back.

I live in Giles County, in Virginia. Its about 20-30 mins above Blacksburg va (VA Tech) and 20-30 below Princeton WV
Area code is 24134

I want a turbo/ 5speed legacy, Feel free to let me know if one is within a 5-6 hour drive from me HAHA

Found a BEAUTIFUL automatic. I'm gonna post the link in the classifieds.
But here it is anyways.
http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/cto/3043591868.html

I hate the prospect of having to do a 5speed swap -_-. So ill leave it to you guys...