Needs help with 91 legacy wagon auto AWD

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

topsecret888
In Neutral

Needs help with 91 legacy wagon auto AWD

Post by topsecret888 »

Hey fellow subie owners,
I picked up a 91 legacy wagon AWD/ABS auto back in June 2012. United States, of course. It's quite funny how back then they labelled the car full time 4 wheel drive, and not AWD that they now used. ABS was still in its infancy back then (over 20 years ago) and not very common, but mine was so equipped. Have a power sunroof as well. Now, on to my issues with the car. I bought the car as a daily driver and mileage is 207K and climbing. A few things had gone wrong since then. The CEL light had come on twice but they went off on its own both times. Later, my speedometer stopped working and the CEL light came on at about the same time and had been staying on since. I have not check the codes yet but I probably should do that pretty soon. My main issue is the car not wanting to start and it happens randomly. Sometimes in the morning and sometimes after i had driven the car a very short distance, say, less than 2 miles or so. It won't fire up again unless i waited 7-10 minutes. Then, it will start again just fine. Any ideas as to why this is happening? I had replace the starter and the battery about a month ago. The alternator was tested and it's working fine. All the lights turn on but when i turn the key nothing happens. No crank and no sound whatsoever. Another weird thing that I observed yesterday morning. The car won't start again, so when I popped open the hood, the fan was turning and blowing! Why was the fan blowing if the car had been sitting cold overnight? This doesn't make any sense at all! Any ideas? Is the ECU reading that the engine is hot and that's the reason the fan was blowing? Any help would be appreciated. I've been averaging 20 mpg in mixed city and highway driving and i know that's about right for this particular car. It's fine when gas cost 99 cents back in 1991 but it's now closer to 4 bucks and that hurts!!
mike-tracy

Re: Needs help with 91 legacy wagon auto AWD

Post by mike-tracy »

Welcome to the forums! You do seem to have a few problems with the car, but a lot of them could be related. Without a working speedometer, the car goes into a sort of limp mode. Depending on your driving style, you "should" be getting in the mid to possibly high 20s mpg when everything is working properly.

It is very possible the speedo cable is bad, or possibly the small pickup on the tranny the cable connects to.

Here is the link to checking the codes: http://legacycentral.org/library/literature/codes.htm
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

To save time and hassle, can I simply go to the local O'reillys/Autozone stores and have them check the CEL light for codes? Will those work on our cars which are obd-1? I'm still hoping someone can have the right information as to why i'm having those starting issues. I know the car's old but i'm still learning more about its quirks as time goes. I believe that the true mileage for the legacy should be around 20 mpg, even the EPA rating said so. Back then the EPA rating was overstated and not exactly true, until they rectified this and came up with a rating closer to what the real world gets. In addition, the usage of ethanol in our gas (at least in my area where i live) further deteriorates the fuel mileage. These are facts that can't be dismissed. One more thing i should add, my HVAC doesn't work all the time. Sometimes, i don't get the air blowing on my vent and many times i don't get heat/hot air when i switch on the heater. What's the reasons for this?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

^^
NO CAN DO...these are OBD1 cars and lack the OBD2 port for checking/clearing codes. Must follow the instructions in the post above.

Hi,
Get the codes and check back.

Most likely the speedo cable on the passenger side of the trans is broken:

It's the 'blade' on the end that usually breaks:

Also, I'd guess your starting issues and fan running may be related to the Coolant Temp sensor - CTS. They get old and fail.
EDIT: I re-read your issue and think it's electrical. Either an ignition switch or the battery cables. Did you thoroughly clean the terminals/posts when you replaced the battery?

Please do some searching on here too, as many of your issues are covered...including your HVAC issue...another common problem on the '90-91 model.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

Thanks for the replies so far. Hope more will be added as time goes. I do believe my speedo cable is broken and the part itself is 8 bucks at the local auto store. Labor? 50 bucks! I'm also leaning towards my starting issue being "electrical" related as the vehicle ages and the wiring deteriorates. I'm also down to the ignition switch being the culprit but a friend of mine disagreed, stating that when i turn on my key all the electronics seemed to work fine. Could the ignition switch be faulty but all things work as it should? I think the battery cables are ok. The terminals were cleaned when i had a reconditioned battery installed last month. However, i'm still dumbfounded as to why the fans were blowing when I couldn't start the car yesterday morning. It had been parked overnight over 12 hours before i went to start it. Any explainations, anyboday?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

A little troubleshooting tip....if you have multiple symptoms/issues, and have identified a problem, fix the problem first, rediagnose, and then move onto any remaining symptoms/problems. Trying to diagnose multiple problems at the same is not good practice.

Not having the speed senser input to the ECU can cause A LOT of problems, including mileage issues, fans running, and it might be a stretch, but starting issues. Fix the speedometer, check for any stored codes, reset the ECU, and then check the codes again.

As I noted above, check the stored codes in the ECU now before resetting the ECU. This will give you an idea of any past problems that could lead you to the specific problems. There's no point in trying to hunt a problem when the ECU will tell you what the problem is.

Is your car AT or MT? If it has an AT, your speedometer issue is likely due to a base piece where the cable plugs into the transmission. Here's a picture with the part #.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... lebase.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

Ok, so I'm understanding that when the speedometer stopped working it will absolutely triggered the check engine light. So, they call this VSS (vehicle speed sensor) correct? I will get this fix soon, just have to find a good Subaru mechanic (there's a few around where i live) and get the job done. 8 dollar part and 50 dollar labor........:(
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The VSS is in the speedometer. That is not necessarily the problem. The problem is likely either the cable base piece or the cable itself. You can take the cable off the base piece, pull the inner cable out to see if it's still in tact. If it is the problem is more than likely the base piece. That unscrews from the transmission and is pretty easy to replace.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

Well, folks I have some good news to share concerning my previous problems with my legacy. I was experiencing random intermittent starting issues with the car. Had the starter and battery replaced. The problem kept reoccuring. I was baffled. Today, finally figured out what it was. The old grounding cable from the negative post on the battery to the starter motor was badly worn out. Had it tested and it wasn't performing. Replaced with a new cable, cost 9 bucks and problem is gone. I'm happy once again. It had kept me on edge for days, thinking if the car will leave me stranded any given time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad to hear you got the problem solved, and thanks for sharing what the problem was.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT