What's your favorite subaru, past or present?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

topsecret888
In Neutral

What's your favorite subaru, past or present?

Post by topsecret888 »

Well folks, just starting a new topic to kill some time. Well, what's yours? It could be either an actual production car from Subaru, worldwide or something you dreamed of that was never produced by the factory. Let's chime in.

Mine would be the 1998 impreza 22b sti, but IN the 4 door body, and NOT the 2 door coupe. Really like those cool fender flares and the fact that it was produced in very limited numbers, around 400 units and also it was somewhat a replica of the WRC car during that time. EJ22 Dohc engine that outputs close to 350 bhp and plenty fast and raw, the driving experience reported by those fortunate to test drive it as being "intense".
It was, of course, never sold here in the States. Pizza sized brakes, inverted Bilstein dampers, and water cooler spray....that's just money.......lol
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: What's your favorite subaru, past or present?

Post by SILINC3R »

Didn't know it came in a four door and thought it was a 2.0 liter.
I cant settle on a favorite though.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

Like I mentioned, u can also "dreamed" of ur ideal subaru. The 22B STi was never produced in 4 door sedan, but I can dreamed of it, bcos ideally i love the sedan bodystyle and that's that. It's also not 2.0 liters, think what the number 22 represents, that's for the EJ22 dohc turbo 2.2 liters or 2212 cc. If the car is around today, it will give the new 2013 WRX sti some real nightmares! lol A true classic in every sense, quite surprised that subaru had the balls to go ahead and built it into production. And of course, u can't exclude the pink Sti badging ....lol
silver03
First Gear

Post by silver03 »

We bought a 1986 turbo xt awd with the digital dash and adjustable suspension in 1988. Car was fabulous.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Favourite classic (pre '90s) Would definatly be the '86 GL-10 Xt turbo, those were insanly ahead of their time. Favourite early '90s would have to be a facelift RS RA with a pre facelift front end. Favourite late '90s would have to be a GT-B Limited with a single turbo conversion or a '99 SUS. Favourite early '00s would be the S401, nothing can beat that. Favourite late '00s would be the Spec-B. And, favourite current gen would be the BRZ, none of the current ones are really that interesting to me.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

I had briefly kept a late 80's subaru xt coupe, with auto trans. Even today, I still wondered, was it the car or was it my driving skills (of lack thereof)? One night, I was taking a corner in snowy conditions over 10 years ago, and recalled going very slowly, definitely less than 25 miles per hour. Next thing I know, the car ended up in a shallow ditch. No harm done, but felt so embarrased by the whole thing. I can only described the XT coupe's handling as "scary".
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

22B with 65km on it. i think we should all chip in and buy it. ill keep it at my house... :P

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u43557565

http://auctions.c.yimg.jp/img315.auctio ... i54598.jpg

honestly, my favorite car is my 93ss. i just love the body style, the lines, the looks, how fun it is to drive without computers telling me what to do. its a mans car and full of rawness...and the fact that not even most subaru owners even know what it is. especially when they get spanked by a 20 yr old car.

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I really like the original STI's, though the BJ Legacy is my favorite body style.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

sqc151 wrote: honestly, my favorite car is my 93ss. i just love the body style, the lines, the looks, how fun it is to drive without computers telling me what to do. its a mans car and full of rawness...and the fact that not even most subaru owners even know what it is. especially when they get spanked by a 20 yr old car.

Thanks for whoring your car out haha. I agree with you although I like the preface too, but white and black are a favorite of mine. Nico's car looks awesome too.
Nico's GL-10
First Gen Legacy Turbo
SVX
GT-B Twin Turbo- come on it's Twin Turbo and I don't care about the VOD
22B
P1
04-05 STi
04-05 GT
04-05 XT
2011 STi- look very Japanese to me(thats a good thing)

ok so pretty much every Subaru I want and even the new ones I hate at first but then they grow on me rather quickly
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

i was hopeing more people would post pics of their favorite cars, instead of just a list...so yea... i whored out my favorite car. and thanks for quoting my post and the pic again... (whos whoring??...lol)

maybe you didnt see the link i posted of the 22B above it??
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

The car (stylisticly) that really got me started on Subarus was probably the 2nd gen GTs.

Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

It was 1997 and I still clearly recalled the very first time I saw a Legacy GT on the streets. It's got a "oh my gosh", a hood scoop! So, I thought perhaps, Subaru had brought a turbocharged legacy into the american shores. I thought that was a fantastic proposition, but alas, we all knew it was all show and no go..........lol just a plain ol 2.5 liters naturally aspirated engine with a fake non functioning hood scoop! Damn Subaru, you fooled us again, i remembered back then.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, the 97 Legacy GT was quite a pinnicle for Subaru's exterior styling on the Legacy. It was a truly beautiful car, from the wheels, to the front headlights, scoop, body lines, and rear spoiler. The wagons looked probably a little better than the sedans, but I do like both.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

my current car 1994 legacy gt is my favorite. but i loved all my gl wagons in high school. they would out wheel half of my high schools yotas all day.
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

second gen Brats (especially turbos)
Post-facelift SS sedans.
'97-'99 Legacy GT wagons.
'96-'97 "plastic grill" SVXs
Bug-eye STIs.
BRZs
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Subaru FF1!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

Another favorite is the current WRX STi, 4 door sedan with those fender flares. Don't like the hatchback, though lol. Also, noticed how the 98 WRX 22B STi used the EJ22 dohc engine, and NOT the EJ25 motor, headgasket problems, perhaps??
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

topsecret888 wrote:..... Also, noticed how the 98 WRX 22B STi used the EJ22 dohc engine, and NOT the EJ25 motor, headgasket problems, perhaps??
Not likely. They problably wanted to keep the 75mm crank and the higher redline it allows.

The 22b motor is essentially an EJ20K with a specially cast 2.2 liter block (not an EJ22T bloack as once rumored).
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

mike-tracy wrote:Image

Subaru FF1!
You just got added to my Christmas card list.
PhyrraM wrote:The 22b motor is essentially an EJ20K with a specially cast 2.2 liter block (not an EJ22T block as once rumored).
Actually, from a conversation I seem to recall having with Matt Monson, who said he spoke with a guy who rebuilt his 22B engine, it's actually a Phase II, probably one of the earliest ones. So it's really its own unique design.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok