I'm back! Wow it's been a while...

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

I'm back! Wow it's been a while...

Post by free5ty1e »

Hi, everybodys!

Well, it's been damn near forever since I've really truly been active on this board, and actively working on my cars. I still have the same 3 Turbo Legacies, the '91, '92, and the '94. A lot has happened since I was last really "into" this. I moved out from Orlando, FL to Elko, NV in 2006 thinking I would be able to continue my remote development work on the iPod accessories that had become my bread and butter for a couple years. Apple changed all that with the new iPod Touch and iPhones that were just coming out, so all the old developers needed to pretty much start completely over in order to become Apple developers again and gain access to the latest API and documentation.

So, I did the freelance engineering thing for a while and eventually got a job at a gold mine in the area working in the I.T. department. I found the work extremely easy and excelled at it, but was incredibly bored not writing code or programming anything. I tried to get back into it several times, but only ended up writing scripts to help the network guys manage a crapton of Cisco devices and got no recognition for my efforts. I finally left that job last year and went back to the freelance engineering thing as I searched for a decent programming job.

Long story short, I'm working at Intel now. It's great, although I had to use my own resources to move up to the Portland area (no relocation assistance was offered for the contract position I was offered). I'm finally up here and am making arrangements to move my personal belongings up here with me. I drove up beginning of May in my '94 and climbed several mountains that were in the way (ended up going the scenic route by Klamouth Falls and up through Medford on I-5). The Subaru took it like a champ. Even used A/C the majority of the way, and I did not drive gently. In hindsight, I was asking for trouble as I passed through an area with zero cell coverage for about 4-5 hours -- if I'd broken down there, I'd have been waiting for someone nice to stop and help me out :) Luckily, I made it up here and immediately found a Subaru mechanic. (Accelerated Automotive) I know my clutch has begun to squeak and has slipped once under load (on the way up), and I also know it's getting to be about time for my timing belt operation. So I've scheduled a full operation with the Subaru mechanic -- timing belt, water pump, oil pump, cam / crank seals, idler, pulleys, tensioner... coming up Monday. Then we will be replacing the clutch with a WRX stage 1 unit and I believe I'll also ask him to replace the rear main seal while he's back there. Anything else simple I should have done while these operations are taking place in a professional mechanic's shop? He seems very reasonable and is def. a Subaru enthusiast. He has a heavily modded WRX that just got dyno results back at over 500 WHP :mrgreen:

The '92 was used as a daily driver by someone that was not very mindful of things like letting the engine idle for a minute before taking off in cold weather, and parking on irregular surfaces (like the corner of a curb). When I got it back, the driverside front brake caliper was just straight LOOSE and eating away at the wheel. No telling how long it was being driven like that, but needless to say I was not happy and I'll never be lending a vehicle out again - even to family. :evil:

The '91 has an even worse story; a couple years back, I tried to start it up and it felt like the engine was freewheeling. Felt like there was very little resistance in there - so I drew the conclusion that the timing belt had snapped and perhaps I wasn't feeling the valvetrain cams rotate along with the crank. I suspected that it needed a timing belt anyway and I rarely drove this vehicle, so I accepted that as the answer and went about my life - planning to have it towed in and fixed at some point or perhaps finding a friend with a garage that wouldn't mind me working in there.

This did not actually occur until earlier this year, when I was planning for my move up here to Oregon. I had it towed in to a mechanic and had it all planned out to replace the timing belt, but then I got a call back saying that was not the problem. This car had no compression in 3 of the 4 cylinders :shock: and the coolant was completely drained out. He said it looks like it was driven and overheated really badly at some point.

Now, since I had not driven this car in a long time and it was parked in a different location / position than when I had last left it, I can only assume that the family member that had access to the keys had borrowed it at some point and driven it without checking fluid levels (a no-brainer for me, I never drive a car that's sit for any period of time without checking the fluids first!), probably had a coolant leak somewhere and it was driven enough to cause the damage I mentioned above. Ugh.

Luckily, since I found a Subaru mechanic up here, I have options such as engine swaps available to me. I have done this before on a Saturn but that was with a buddy and all the right tools, in a double-wide garage with some space, and that was replacing with the correct model engine... I have a barely single-wide garage and would rather not stumble my way through such an operation in my free time, at least not at this point. So - we are planning to find a good WRX or STI short block somewhere and jam that into the '91. At least then I can still make use of the center and rear limited slip diffs - I was quite devastated to learn that this car had major engine troubles.

Anyway, that's (a summary of) my story, I'm back now and expect to be much more active on this board again as I will actually have the time and funding to work on my cars again. Thanks for reading! :D

Edit: I had the '91 and the '92 shipped up here from Elko using an auto transport service; that was a whole other nightmare but since it's behind me and it was quite frustrating I'll forget it for now. Just realized I did not mention that these cars are now up here with me as of this past weekend.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
mike-tracy

Re: I'm back! Wow it's been a while...

Post by mike-tracy »

Welcome back Chris! Congrats on the new job. Sounds like you'll have your hands full with working on subies, not that that's a bad thing ;).
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Thanks! I've been looking forward to it... just driving and ensuring basic maintenance is kept up with gets quite old and boring. It's been entirely too long... and I hear there are actual road tracks up in this area -- left AND RIGHT turns. As well as the occasional AutoX event. Neat! :D
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My brother lives in elko and works for a drilling company out there. I plan to go there one of these days and visit him.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Another welcome back (again?). Did you ever get your lift installed?
Its a good idea to at least check the seals on the cam cover and the oil separator plate while the engine/trans is out. Most replace the oil separator plate with a metal one, if it hasn't been.
If you were closer, I'd invite you by to hang out and do some wrenching. Although Medford is definitely an upgrade from Elko.
Sux about your car issues, especially since they were the fault of someone else. Be sure to hold on to that 22T block as it has much potential.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Thanks! No, no lift; my Elko experience turned out to be less than satisfying; I couldn't even get a garage out there, which was crazy considering I had plenty of land and a decent income but the banks out there are just insane and apparently not interested in improving the community. Not even room for a lift in my current garage but then again, there's barely room to open a car door in there if I park off to the side :)

That'll have to come later when I can buy a house again. Just renting for now to get my feet back under me here in a new place.

Portland is a nice upgrade from Elko, no doubt. It's nice having choices to go out to eat again, and hey hey -- a Subaru dealership is just a couple miles away. Perhaps I can finally get my hands on some of that nice Extra-S transmission fluid they have there.

Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't thought of the cam cover and oil separator plate. Is the metal plate of Subaru make or aftermarket? I'll do some searching on here and see what I can find.

Kimo, it's an interesting place to visit briefly; there are a couple things that Elko is decent for, one of them being exploring the offroad mountain trails everywhere. If you can get there with a nice 4WD rental it's nice. There's not much for nightlife, they seem to have decided that combining businesses is sensible and so you have many combination strip clubs / bars with pool tables. Don't go for the strip club, that's all I can say.

Edit: The 22T block from the '91 is something I hadn't considered keeping yet, what with the limited space I have and everything. But that's right, I'll have plenty of space in my moving truck / mobile storage unit -- I can shove it in there until I get a real garage to tear it down and work on it myself... or perhaps someone on this board would be interested to take it off my hands later, I'd at least like to see it go somewhere other than a junkyard if I can help it. :)
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

There's no shortage of guys dieing to get their hands on your shortblock...LOL. I see them sold for $500 for the case halves alone. And I couldn't find a buyer for my sti halves for $400.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome back!

As mentioned, yeah I'd suggest replacing the plastic separater plate with the newer metal one. It's from Subaru, and there are new bolts that go with it.

Only other comment is that I believe the WRX clutch is slightly wider than the turbo Legacy, so I don't know if there's any issues with using the WRX clutch on the turbo legacy flywheel. I know there is absolutely no issue with running a WRX flywheel, clutch, & pressure plate on the turbo legacy.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The bolts that are used with the metal plate are standard bolts whereas the ones for the plastic plate are taped head phillips style. The metal plate bolts are the same as oil pan bolts so save yourself some money and hit the junkyard or bolts bin for those.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

kimokalihi wrote:The bolts that are used with the metal plate are standard bolts whereas the ones for the plastic plate are taped head phillips style. The metal plate bolts are the same as oil pan bolts so save yourself some money and hit the junkyard or bolts bin for those.
LOL I had no idea there was such an underdesigned part on these generally overdesigned engines (lack of intercooler notwithstanding, of course). I'll definitely be replacing that plate!

Actually I already have a WRX lightweight flywheel in there, so shouldn't be an issue. Also, in the right range of years ('02 - '05 WRX?) it appears that the clutch and flywheel fit right up to the turbo legacy. Good to know it might be wider for my other car, but this one should be good. Shit, even the 5mt in this one is from a japanese WRX. :)

Thanks!
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

ill probobly see you around. i work in tigard at the huge otorcycle shop off 217. ive got the 94 gt wagon.
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

SUBYLUV871 wrote:ill probobly see you around. i work in tigard at the huge otorcycle shop off 217. ive got the 94 gt wagon.
Sweet! I've seen several nice looking WRXs around here, and even a legacy wagon for sale (nonturbo)? as I've been driving around. I'm usually in the '94, white with the ridiculous black scoop. I'm typically preceeded by loud bass if it's daytime. I think I've seen that motorcycle shop, still learning my way around the area.

Excellent to find LCO members in the area! I'll keep an eye out for the GT :)

I just used my old posts on this board (ah, so useful to post info here) to re-learn where I had to stick that helicoil during my last timing belt operation. Got all the details I needed and got them to the mechanic at Accelerated Automotive. Not that it should affect the work, since it's been just fine for almost 100,000 km now... I'm guessing the helicoil / washer fix was adequate until the next scheduled maintenance. Whew! :)

(Old thread linked below, 6 posts in - in case anyone is interested in what I'm talking about):
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 4&p=103662
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

nice, ill keep an eye out. ill let you know this summer when we do a cruz up through the mt hood forest to check out some lakes. its a fun drive. and we bbq and do a little fishing. little bit of gravel roads most signle lane paved. a few from last year http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48150 but its alot of fun
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

free5ty1e wrote:LOL I had no idea there was such an underdesigned part on these generally overdesigned engines (lack of intercooler notwithstanding, of course). I'll definitely be replacing that plate
Actually, the 90 and probably 91 non-turbo legacy had metal plates. Subaru went to plastic in the later years to save money.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

You gotta go to WCSS this year. Its a good time. Just ask CJ.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Lol!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Legacy777 wrote:
free5ty1e wrote:LOL I had no idea there was such an underdesigned part on these generally overdesigned engines (lack of intercooler notwithstanding, of course). I'll definitely be replacing that plate
Actually, the 90 and probably 91 non-turbo legacy had metal plates. Subaru went to plastic in the later years to save money.
Bad Subaru.. BAD! no! *rolled up newspaper*

I'm down to go to events and cruises, should have a decently functioning car to use for them very soon -- sounds like fun!
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock