Is it possible?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Is it possible?

Post by 92ColoradoTurbo »

So my friend, he's in high school, and he is really into cars. I got him super excited for a turbo wagon for him to buy as his first car but his parents wont let him buy a car. But they did tell him that if he wanted to put money into their outback, they'd sign the title over to him and he can do whatever he wanted.

So here's the deal, there's a place in Colorado that has 4 ej22t's all in good running condition for 500 a pop. He was wondering if it was possible to do an engine swap into his 2000 Outback Limited 5spd (is a it a 5mt like ours?)

If it is, what all do you think we'd need?
-Turbo exhaust
-Legacy SS ECU
-Clutch kit maybe?
-Different Motor mounts?

Any input would be nice, it'd be a great summer project!! Outback SS woo

Thanks! :-D
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Is it possible?

Post by kimokalihi »

Well his outback is OBD2 so you're going to have a CEL light on constantly if you manage to wire up an EJ22T ECU and the amount of wiring work required is going to be ridiculous. I don't recommend it. Especially for someone inexperienced which he probably is if he's in high school and never had a car before.

I think his parents are doing the right thing. No high schooler needs a turbocharged car unless it's a GL or something haha. My parents did the same thing when I was his age. I wanted to buy a car really bad and they basically forced me to buy their 89 4x4 toyota pickup and it probably saved me from killing myself.

I've never done it before but it's going to be one hell of a project and I bet it would take him years to complete if he doesn't give up first.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Teach him how to take care of the Outback first. Teach him how to do mods properly and not hack-jobs. Teach him that modding is 75% research before you even turn a wrench (unless you don't mind spending twice).

IMHO, the only way to properly turbo a 2000 Outback is by going newer, not older. The wiring issues alone would be a challenge, much less as a first project. The backdated hardware will cause a significant drop in value.

Once the car is his, and maintained, and he's kept it in good condition, and learned what to do and not do.....then he can sell it for a proper project car (such as a 2000 GT wagon). A 2000 Outback, is a poor choice unless the plan is to lift it and make it fire road cruiser. The complete suspension (and possibly subframes) will need updating to regular Legacy parts just to lower the ride height properly.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Oh dang, I didn't even think about the whole obd2/1 thing. So yea, maybe it's a just a dream car for now haha. Yea I think he should save his money and buy a good daily/project car in college, like and old school gti or something fun to mess with but nothing major like and engine swap. Thanks for the replies guys!
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

it is possible, and without massive cel's, however I'm not sure how an inspection station would handle it if they have to plug up to the obd port
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51899
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

Would at least be entertaining lol
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Yea i want to do the same swap to my 98 fozzy and of course it's obd2. But what if the engine. tranny, and ecu were all from a legacy? Or what if the engine was a built ej22t, the 5spd, and a standalone? would the wiring be all that bad?
Chris
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

- "all that bad"- is relative.

What have you or your buddy done for wiring projects?

I'd suggest getting the complete bulkhead/dash harness to run the Legacy ECU...although the sensors and such are fairly similar between the OBD1 and 2 versions - @ least 'til '98 - the wiring is not. Check out THIS thread on one option.

You'll need to touch almost every wire under the dash to run a standalone and even then you may lose some functionality - the AC/heat may not work right, no ABS brakes, no Cruise control, just for starters. And if this is your DD, expect the car to be unavailable for 2-10X longer than you really think....Stuff just takes longer to do then you might guess.

Here's my THREAD on what I tried to do on my '98 Foz....Ultimately I gave up because I couldn't get it tuned - either due to an engine issue or the EM just wasn't compatible.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T