Boosting my 1994 Legacy L wagon!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RileyDiG
In Neutral

Boosting my 1994 Legacy L wagon!

Post by RileyDiG »

I just picked up a spare ej22e for $100 with only 70k miles and I would like to boost it. I know it's dual port so I'm buying my friends wrx exhaust manifold, uppipe, td04, and top mount for dirt cheap.

I plan on running very low psi. Maybe 5-8.

Don't tell me its stupid to boost is as it's NA. Don't tell me to get a wrx instead. I have a 2008 wrx hatch, this is a project/mess around car.

How do I do the wiring? Do I get a turbo ecu and splice it in somehow? What about the oil and coolant lines?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Boosting my 1994 Legacy L wagon!

Post by cj91legss »

I don't think any of us would tell you not to boost an n/a.........

A lot of this has been covered, Check out some of the stickies and some of the build journals. A lot of great information in there.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

The turbo legacy ECU is setup to run on 8:1 compression vs. the non-turbo's higher compression. Even with the turbo ECU's lower timing I think the higher CR would still cause you some headaches. Additionally the non-turbo cams will have more valve overlap which isn't great for turbo applications.

The two options you have is the turbo ECU or non-turbo ECU and a piggyback. Even with the turbo ECU you may need some additional control to back off timing even more if you get detonation. With the higher CR setup, you would likely only be able to run a lower boost (5-8 psi) setup.

As for the coolant & oil lines, the head would need to be tapped to provide those. I would suggest checking out some of the stickies in the engine forum. There are some good threads in there. You can certainly do this, but in all honesty I think you'll spend more time and money trying to get this to work then if you just find a beater turbo legacy to start off with.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
You can read some of MY THREAD and go search on RS25.com as this has been covered (to death) over there, too.

I have a valve cover I'll sell you that has an oil return; oil feed can come off the oil sender (I have this, too); coolant can come from the heater hoses or the throttle/IAC coolant lines.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T