Fun w/a VR4

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Fun w/a VR4

Post by wtdash »

History:
Outside my city of Coeur d'Alene (CDA), I-90 has a stretch of freeway that climbs to the Veterans Memorial Centennial Bridge, which was built in '91 to get traffic off the local scenic byway that runs along Lake CDA. It and an elevated viaduct section in Wallace, ID (about 50 miles east) also completed in '91, were the last 2 sections of I-90 that weren't 'freeway', AFAIK. Yes...we do have high-speed internet and cable TV. :-)

Before the viaduct was built over Wallace, traffic exited the 70 mph freeway, and slowed to 25-30 mph as you navigated the small town (known for its brothels back when silver mining was the main enterprise), before the freeway continued onward.

Back in my neck of the woods, the ~5 mile section that rises out of CDA and crosses the bridge, has multiple 55-60 mph recommended high-speed turns. The speed limit is 65 mph, as it climbs over 300 feet in elevation (CDA is @ 2200 ft ASL), before descending back to the east end of Lake CDA.

Event:
As I was headed back into town, I caught a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 just as we started up the east side. I slowed down to 65 and slowly passed the VR4 noticing it had plates from one of the local dealerships. After I passed, I returned to my 'brisk pace' as I started the climb.

About 1/2 mile later the VR4 was closing fast. We were passing traffic, winding our way up to the bridge.

The bridge itself is about 1/3rd of a mile long and by the time we reached the west end my speedo was reading #'s above 11x - I found the brake to slow for the upcoming '60 mph' turn ahead.

As the bridge meets the other side of the valley 300 feet below, there's one short climb before dropping back down the other side to CDA. This last ascending section put us into some thick fog, and I put caution over fun for a few seconds as we topped the summit.

The VR4 was now doing its best hemorrhoid imitation as the fog cleared and the road tipped downward. I found the floorboard and we descended 'quickly' thru the last few turns before a work truck on the shoulder forced an SUV into the fast lane. I triple-tapped my brakes to give the VR4 a heads-up.

Passing the Suburban, we found the valley floor again. I passed another car and pulled into the right lane preparing for my exit ramp. The VR4 slid on by, and I didn't look over intentionally 'til he was about a half-car length ahead but thought I caught a smile.

After another second the VR4 started to accelerate as the road was open in front of us. I shifted into 4th, caught a healthy dose of boost and like to think I kept up 'til I my exit appeared (of course he was probably half-throttle!). I flashed my head lights and peeled off.....

BTW? It was raining....glad I had the new tires and AWD.

Last edited by wtdash on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Fun w/a VR4

Post by SILINC3R »

Those cars are bad ass. I want one when I have lots of extra money.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fun w/a VR4

Post by Legacy777 »

Excellent story :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm