New to Subaru '90 Legacy LS Wagon

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

virginwidow
In Neutral

New to Subaru '90 Legacy LS Wagon

Post by virginwidow »

Hi,

I'm a Nissan / Datsun TRUCK lady and suddenly became Subar-Ized ... My dad had one back in the 80's thru about 1996-7, an indestructable wagon, so when I saw this -- 136K and only $995 I jumped. Only had it 3 weeks, The FIRST thing I've noticed is it's NOT a truck, but alot more "tool box" than most cars (I usually hate cars)
http://wm50.crawler.com/thumbs/1a_1e128 ... .jpg.thumb

Of course, it has issues, I just don't know where to start with the thing. Got the oil changed immediately of course. Looks like it's only been hit once, thinkin some of the electric annoyances I think from "removing" the airbag, which deployed (aint pulled the steering wheel, but can see the snipped pigtail and telltale "baby-powder")

I've not owned a automatic Xmission in decades, much less all wheel drive. Done a little reading up on it (Wikipedia, some here) enough discover about the torque shifting btw front and rear going up or downhill - I live in hills - so that explains the "what the ??? " feeling -- I mean, If I'm not clutching and changing gears my own self, I'm already thinkin "What the *&%^# you doin???" so this is ODD

So. I can work on Harleys, Airplanes and OLD Jap trucks -- fairly well. None of these things has a computer in it :-( I'm at least Fluke Meter Literate, but these computer chip things, how do I see what's goin on in there? I REALLY like this car (and I NEVER like cars) so I must learn -- Someone please be kind enough to point me at the "Righty Tighty Lefty Loosy" section?

THANK YOU
Bobby in Knoxville
My other TRUCK is a '78 Datsun 620
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: New to Subaru '90 Legacy LS Wagon

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Welcome to the site!

Your '90 doesn't have an airbag. They didn't show up 'til late '92 and only for the driver. So not sure what you're seeing on the steering wheel.

If the Check Engine Light (CEL) is on you'll want to check out this POST HERE to see what's up.

As far as the tranny, I'm not sure what you're experiencing other than just the torque converter locking up and unlocking as is normal. I'd recommend a fluid replacement - do NOT recommend flushing the transmission w/any sort of mechanical pressure device. Just drain the fluid, refill (making sure it's @ the FULL mark), drive it so all the gears get engaged - plus Reverse - then repeat the procedure 2 more times. These Subies don't like to have it flushed as it can actually cause the seals to start leaking internally and they won't work (and/or you'll lose Reverse like I did!).

These are easy to work on and most any issue has been covered on this site. If you type your search terms in the above 'Google Custom Search' box you'll likely get a good start. This is NOT to dissuade you from asking questions, as we're a friendly group. :-)

GL and enjoy your new ride,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
virginwidow
In Neutral

Re: New to Subaru >>THANK YOU!!

Post by virginwidow »

wtdash wrote: As far as the tranny, I'm not sure what you're experiencing other than just the torque converter locking up and unlocking as is normal. I'd recommend a fluid replacement - do NOT recommend flushing the transmission w/any sort of mechanical pressure device. Just drain the fluid, refill (making sure it's @ the FULL mark), drive it so all the gears get engaged - plus Reverse - then repeat the procedure 2 more times. These Subies don't like to have it flushed as it can actually cause the seals to start leaking internally and they won't work (and/or you'll lose Reverse like I did!).
Thanks for that vital tip. I'm pretty sure (after the research was done) the "odd" x-mission is how it's supposed to be -- that and it's a sturdy little car, I'm 1000 miles into it. Live in the country so this is to be 100 mile a daily driver.... sad they don't have rally titles for cars which can do this...

The fluid change thing -- THANK YOU!!! I was considering a full flush, being the 136k, but then saw it has it's own seperate Xmission fluid filter, what use it "flushing" just jam the gunk into that filter :-( why not just change fluid and FILTER (I'm hoping that can in the line I seen means filter) so you beat me to it.

Thanks for the welcome
Bobby in TN
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: New to Subaru >>THANK YOU!!

Post by wtdash »

virginwidow wrote:

The fluid change thing -- THANK YOU!!! I was considering a full flush, being the 136k, but then saw it has it's own seperate Xmission fluid filter, what use it "flushing" just jam the gunk into that filter :-( why not just change fluid and FILTER (I'm hoping that can in the line I seen means filter) so you beat me to it.

Thanks for the welcome
Bobby in TN
Hi,
There's a post (or 2) on here about that transmission filter. It was an add-on for the '90-'91 (?) models and came from the factory on the '92+ models, I believe. You should be able to buy it from the dealer (but they'll probably have to order it)...the part number is: ATF add-on filter kit: 31099AA091 (the whole kit w/the lines is LESS than just the filter, and should be less than $10).

I would also recommend an aux. tranny cooler ( in line w/the existing cooler that is built-in to the radiator), depending on how hot it gets in TN. Heat is the #1 killer of these trans, from what I've read.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New to Subaru '90 Legacy LS Wagon

Post by Legacy777 »

In addition, you can check the TCU for any stored codes just to make sure. I'm not sure if Dave has that on his site. Here's the info on mine www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/trans.html

Regarding the automatic transmission, if you didn't want to invest in a trans cooler, I would recommend just draining and refilling the trans fluid once to see if that helps or not. After a while, drain and refill with good synthetic ATF fluid (Redline D4 is good stuff). The synthetic holds up to the heat much better and won't varnish as easily.

Check out the stuff you need to know forum. I've got links to factory manuals and there are other good tid bits in the forum stickies.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm