New here first post - upgrades / maintenance recommendations

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bigb12
In Neutral

New here first post - upgrades / maintenance recommendations

Post by Bigb12 »

Hey guys, I have a 93 Legacy L and I wanted to know how I can do a catback system. I've seen some forums but no pricing.

Also I am brand new and I want to learn, any first time tips with the older car? What can I do to make it better?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New here first post exhaust

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

My suggestion is to try and clearly identify what you're looking to accomplish before starting out with modifications. Do you want to make more power, increase reliability, general maintenance, etc. Also, look at what you're interested in spending. Be realistic with your goals and budget as starting down one path with purchasing parts that you don't end up using or can't use gets more pricey and causes delays.

The other thing to think of, is this your primary car...and if so planning alternative transportation while you're doing work assuming it will take multiple days or if you need additional parts.

As a general suggestion, replacing the struts (assuming they haven't recently been replaced) is a good upgrade since the old ones will likely be worn. This will improve handling and the "fun factor". KYB GR2's/Excel's are good aftermarket replacement struts. Additionally, some folks use newer WRX/STi struts. Check out the suspension forum sticky for more info. Additionally, I don't think the 93 had a rear anti-sway bar, so adding that will also improve handling. Again, I'd suggest searching as others have done that upgrade and can provide details. Lastly, upgrading wheels & tires typically improves handling and the overall look of the car.

Regarding power, there's not a huge amount you can do to the non-turbo cars to get a lot of power. My suggestion would be to do tune-up related items to make sure the engine is running as close to the original power as possible.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Bigb12
In Neutral

Post by Bigb12 »

Awesome, thanks for the input. Mainly I want this as a car for now until I can get a forester, or at least an AWD. Trying do things that'll make it better before I sell.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Then my suggestion would be to focus on maintenance type stuff first to ensure everything is running properly and as good as it can, then probably struts, and appearance related items.

I think those things will make it more enjoyable to drive and more enticing to the next future owner when you plan to sell it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Bigb12
In Neutral

Post by Bigb12 »

Thanks! I am pretty sure the last owner replace the struts right before I got the car from the dealer. Any other big things? Like I said I'm brand new to this car and maintenance.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

How many miles are on the car?

I'd definitely recommend checking out the sticky compilations at the top of each forum. Additionally, check out the stuff you need to know forum, there are a lot of good threads & info in there.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Bigb12
In Neutral

Post by Bigb12 »

About 184k now.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

This FWD?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Bigb12
In Neutral

Post by Bigb12 »

Yeah.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do you have any maintenance records as to what has been done previously. That will likely drive what should be done.

I'm going to move your post to the Miscellaneous forum and rename your post as I think it will get some more feedback.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Bigb12
In Neutral

Re: New here first post - upgrades / maintenance recommendat

Post by Bigb12 »

Nope, it was a first time buy on my end. Kind of stupid, but nevertheless. The things I have done are new tires, changed the oil pan gasket to try to get rid of the oil leak (still leaking a lot) and I am changing the R12 AC to R134a soon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The main things I'd suggest doing are new NGK copper spark plugs, new spark plug wires, air filter, PCV valve, engine oil & filter, check power steering fluid, transmission fluid, and coolant.

You can remove one of the end timing belt covers to check its condition and see whether it needs to be replaced. I typically replace the belt and water pump if I get a new to me Subaru without any maintenance records. Also, if you do the timing belt it's good to replace the front oil seals.

Regarding common oil leaks, replace the valve cover gaskets, valve cover bolt grommet washers, filler tube o-ring, and rear cam backing plate o-ring on the passenger side head. Those are the most common oil leakers. Fix those, go to a car wash and spray down the engine so you can see where the oil leak is coming from.

How do you plan to convert the AC system to R134a?

I'd suggest reading over my thread about it if you haven't already done so.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1083
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Bigb12
In Neutral

Post by Bigb12 »

Alright will do.

For the A/C I have the parts to do it and te guy at the store said to bleed it. And when you put the new stuff in keep the A/C on while I'm pumping it through. But I'll definitely take a look at yours.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The guy at the parts store is wrong! Do not listen to his advice. The system must be evacuated/discharged, the oil changed, the receiver drier changed, vacuum pulled on the system, and then recharged with r134a. I don't recommend you converting to r134a if it's not done properly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

stay stock as long as you can.............
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
Bigb12
In Neutral

Post by Bigb12 »

Thanks guys, and what's the rage with changing from
r12 to R134a???
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What do you mean what's the rage with changing from r12 to R134a?

It's no big deal to change from r12 to r134a as long as it's done correctly. If it's not done correctly, the AC won't work or it will not cool well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Bigb12
In Neutral

Post by Bigb12 »

No, more or less I meant why do people change from R-2 to R134a? I've heard different stories.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

R-12 is hard to get and real expensive and you need a hazmat license I believe. R-134 you can buy a three pack at Walmart for 25$
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
major_tom
In Neutral

Post by major_tom »

Bigb12 wrote:No, more or less I meant why do people change from R-2 to R134a? I've heard different stories.
Like rallyak said, it's a pain in the ass to get. R-12 is a much older refrigerant; the molecule that it's composed of has a much, much higher greenhouse potential when released into the atmosphere than newer chemicals like R-134a. It's been illegal to manufacture since 1996, though existing stocks are still technically legal to buy and sell. This scarcity means that if you can find it, it won't be cheap. And, as rallyak pointed out, you will either need a hazmat license to purchase it yourself or you'll need to find someone with a license to do it for you ($$$).

The conversion to R-134a will allow you to charge your A/C with modern refrigerant, but like Legacy777 pointed out, it must be done properly or you will massively f*ck your whole system with the power of chemistry. It should also be noted that the conversion will probably add value to your car if you ever decide to sell.

This being said, if you're in the Denver area, I know a guy for your R-12 fix...
'92 L Wagon "the Yeti" - 295k mi and still running!

Turbo wheels n' Pirelli P6s / KYB GR2s / EBC Greenstuff pads + rotors / Walbro 255 / Apex'i airbox filter