92 Legacy falling on it's face

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scubiedoo
In Neutral

92 Legacy falling on it's face

Post by scubiedoo »

Hello everybody, new to the forums but I have a 92 Legacy with an unknown problem and would love any thoughts or suggestions. I'm not a car guy by any means but love subaru's and have an army of german motor friends haha, sometimes helpful sometimes not. Anyways I had a 2.2 motor swapped about 12k ago with only about 100k on it. After, it would cut out like missfire or something at about 3k rpms which had never happened before. I took it back to the guy who said he replaced the computer and game it back. No change. Since then it's been super spiratic, sometimes not drivable sometimes its fine for weeks. I've noticed that it might get worse in the heat but not always. Was told it seems like its "falling on its face." Maybe fueling related? Too much, not enough? Idk. Anything would help thanks again!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 92 Legacy falling on it's face

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

This is a bit of a stab in the dark, but I had a similar intermittent issue where I would lose power. That problem turned out to be a bad MAF sensor. I'd recommend you check the ECU for codes to see if anything is stored. Instructions are on my site

www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

If you can get your hands on a spare MAF to test for cheap or as loaner until you confirm that is the problem, that may be another troubleshooting method.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
scubiedoo
In Neutral

Post by scubiedoo »

Had no clue you could read codes without a scan tool, I've been waiting on a buddy's. Thank you so much man!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome.

I'd suggest checking out the stuff you need to know forum. There is a lot of good information in there that may save you some time and grief.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm