New to subaru

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Purple-Rain11
In Neutral

New to subaru

Post by Purple-Rain11 »

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section...

First post here from B.C Canada.. Well ive just bought my first Subaru, a 1992 AWD legacy 2.2t sedan. Only 142,xxx original KM's. Im picking it up later this week. Ive always been a Honda guy (and still am, have a pretty modded 95 integra) but I really wanted a Subaru for winter months! Its pretty much stock other than a magnaflow cat back. The only things the car needs are the valve cover gaskets changed (leaking onto exhaust) and the passenger window regulator.

Really the only question I had was how's mileage on these cars and what fuel octane is recommended. Ive read mixed things online.... Best to run synthetic oil in these as well, 5w30 ?

Thanks guys!!!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: New to subaru

Post by kimokalihi »

Mileage is going to be between 22-25 mpg driven moderately. You probably have leaking cam seals also so check those. Welcome to the forum. You've bought the best Subaru you could and I'm jealous I wish my first was a turbo.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

If you're doing the valve cover gaskets make sure you also do the valve cover bolt grommets as well.

The owner's manual calls for at least 91 octane.

As for synthetic, it may increase your oil leaks so you may want to try and take care of them first before making a switch. I think the viscosity may depend on your climate. I run 10w30 because the base oil is a little thicker compared to 5w30. Fuel mileage may be better with 5w30, but couldn't tell you how much and whether it'd be measurable or not.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I also run 10w30 Mobil1 synthetic. Reason I run that weight is because the factory service manual provides a chart which I posted in another thread that shows temperature ranges and which oil weights to use for your climate and basically anywhere you won't normally see temps below 20 degrees (I think) it recommends 10w30. If you live in a folder climate use 5w30. I use 91 octane but that's as high as it gets around here.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I ran Shell 92 when my car was running. Mobile 1 10w30 Fully synthetic for me.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

We have 93 here woop woop. Also we all use Rotella T6 here in the Panhandle.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Purple-Rain11
In Neutral

Post by Purple-Rain11 »

Thanks for the replies everyone!! 91 it is then!!

Also the oil leak onto the exhaust, now you can look and see that the valve covers are weaping/leaking but how likely is it that it could actually be a leaking head gasket? Cars got 140,xxx KMS. (not miles). It runs great, no studders or anything. Coolant is nice and green and no white smoke (or blue for that matter) out the tailpipe. Just been reading thing online and got a little worried haha!!!
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

I think with a leaky head gasket you'll most likely be able to visibly inspect the mating section between the heads and block? Also I smelled smoke after driving for awhile.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I doubt it's a head gasket. Head gasket external leaks are usually coolant leaks and you'd notice your coolant disappearing. It's probably the bolt hole gaskets for the valve cover like Josh mentioned. Super easy job to replace the valve cover gaskets. And rubber Holt hole seals.
Purple-Rain11
In Neutral

Post by Purple-Rain11 »

Cool cool. Ill replace the valve cover gaskets and grommets in there too and go from there!

And yes I can smell a bit of the burning oil after driving it but im assuming that's the valve cover or or grommets leaking right onto the exhaust (creates a little smoky sometimes)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

When you get done changing the gaskets, pressure wash the engine area (be mindful of the electronics) to get rid of as much oil as you can so you can look for any previously unidentified leaks.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Good idea. I like to mix a diluted bottle of purple power and spray down the engine prior to pressure washing. Let it sit for 10-15 mins and pressure wash it off. Even the one at the diy car was stalls will work.
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

That's what I do too kimo. I degrease and spray it down with a good garden hose. Then its easy to see any leaks an where they originate from.
Purple-Rain11
In Neutral

Post by Purple-Rain11 »

Awesome thanks everyone!! Im a happy Subaru owner so far!!!