Contemplating about a replacement car

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MConte05
Second Gear

Re: Contemplating about a replacement car

Post by MConte05 »

Want it or need it?

Once you realize the joy of a proper RWD sportscar, you'll kind of never want AWD again unless you live in a heavily snowy area. Part of why I loved the Fiesta is that it felt like a RWD car with its dynamics.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's probably a want more so than a need, but I don't necessary need a RWD sports car either.

A WRX wagon would be the perfect all-around compromise between performance, utility, fun to drive. But again, I don't need a "performance" car for my daily driver since I have my Legacy.

If I'm going to buy something used, I'm probably just going to fix my Impreza since I know what needs to be fixed and I enjoy driving it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

Nissan Juke if you like the styling of a 370Z that crashed into a VW beatle. And easish on the budget. Pretty peppy and fun to drive and a good ground clearance. It has torque vectoring AWD like super cars have which is pretty wicked if hucked around a corner to fast. The rear hatch space is definitely something that needs to be worked on, but the seats fold properly flat so you can fit quite a bit back there if you are not rocking 4-5 passengers. The bose sound system is solid too. Also they make Nismo versions that have a bit more power and better suspension, and the Nismo RS which is a tiny bit faster and comes with legit leather racing seats, the seats are pretty horrid in my opinion for a daily driver though.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

MConte05 wrote:Want it or need it?

Once you realize the joy of a proper RWD sportscar, you'll kind of never want AWD again unless you live in a heavily snowy area. Part of why I loved the Fiesta is that it felt like a RWD car with its dynamics.
You speak the truth. I have a trifecta of vehicles for every need.
My fast and fun weekend car is a V8, RWD coupe with zero driver aids.
The AWD Legacy with WRX engine and 6-speed swap is for daily driving, snow and parking in sketchy places.
Fullsize V8 truck for hauling and towing the trailer.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

It is amazing how boaty even a new WRX feels once you've driven a few RWD sports cars like the boxster, z3/z4, Lotus Elise, etc. You get back into an STI and realize what a pig it is.

My stable used to be the supercharged lotus elise, the legacy rally car, and a v8 diesel ambulance.

Now its just the rally car and a 2013 Ram 1500 hemi sport. Thought I'd miss out on having a "fun" car, but the truck is awesome for daily driving, I love it. The rally car now that it makes a ton of power is also a blast to be a fun street car when I put different shoes on it.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

It took me a long time to get used to my wife's 09 Fit, but when I realized I'd made a poor decision on the OB XT, and that the BH OB was just as hopeless, it made sense to look for something almost completely different: No AWD, no boxer engine, lightweight, great mileage, beam rear axle, rear drum brakes, sit-up interior.

I "miss" Subaru, but not so much, even a year later. It's either difficult or expensive to get a great Legacy in the US.

Avoid the new, 3rd generation Fit until you get a chance to drive the 12-14 with a 5MT.

My $0.02
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the comments guys.

I talked with a friend who had a '12 Impreza Sport MT and she said it handled very well, good gas mileage, and good amenities, but said it was a complete dog and couldn't get out of its own way. I just need to drive one and see for myself. Assuming it is how she described I will likely just keep the Impreza as there isn't anything out that really floats my boat at the moment.....which is quite depressing actually. :(
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I do believe I found out where the water was coming from and that it's coming from a previous shitty windshield repair job. I'm not sure if it can be fixed without pulling the current windshield and whether the current windshield could be reused or not.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

if you can get it 100% dry I have had good success resealing windshields without pulling the glass. If you know generally where the leak is coming from, you can pull the trim pieces and back fill as much as possible. If its a fresh windshield it might not crack, but chances are it will.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think I know the general vicinity of the leak, but am planning to take it by a place tomorrow to have it looked it.

I may have to get a new windshield....we'll see what they say.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

When I worked at the junkyard, the Safelite guys would come in and practice pulling windshields from the cars. From what I saw they were almost always successful.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I had to make the appointment for a full windshield replacement. I talked to the tech and my plan is to talk with him before he does the work to see if there's anything he can do. If not, the windshield gets replaced.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

allnines'
Second Gear

Post by allnines' »

I was in a customers (I work for Toyota) '15 fozzy w/6sp-very sloppy! (lots of play compared to my'99 5sp leggy) If I could afford a new '16 outback I'd sell you my '99 in a heartbeat!
Legacys are like potato chips-you can't stop at one!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

325i wagon?
Because RWD>FWD (&AWD?) and a RWD I6 manual is near perfection. Even if it is German.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5357197509.html (if you need AWD (in Dallas))
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

We love our volvo. I never thought I'd own one but I really like our volvo.

My wife had a mini cooper S when we got married. That was a fun little car, and when we got pregnant with twins we sold it and bought a forester XT. The Forester is really growing on me. It is a little high, but it isn't SUV high, and if the height is a problem, you can easily lower it with some swift springs.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well the leak continues...even after a new windshield and some work to reseal the roof rack mounting points. On top of everything I heard a slight noise which almost sounded like a knocking noise on start up this afternoon when I gave it a little bit of revs. It's the only time I've heard it and went away and haven't heard it since.

As I mentioned I don't like any of the new stuff and honestly if I get something I'd probably stick with the late 90's to mid-2000's. If I can make this one hold out a little bit longer that'd be my preference to see what else may be coming out or redesigned.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I finally figured out where the leak was coming from. The seam sealer was cracked and after picking at it a little bit I could see daylight. There were other spots where the sealer looked cracked so I ran a bead of silicone down both sides of the roof seam.

The interior is back together and everything appears ok. I'll keep an eye on it after a next big rain or car wash.

I also replaced the rear lift gate wiring harness since the rubber boot was split. I hope my water leak issues are done!

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT