Picking up a new Wagon in Alaska!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

FromTheNorth
In Neutral

Picking up a new Wagon in Alaska!

Post by FromTheNorth »

My best friend is a total Honda hoarder but also owns a 93 Turbo'd Touring wagon that I'm looking to pick up. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Subarus and neither is he but I know I want it. I've been doing research ever since he told me he wanted to sell it 2 weeks ago but I just wanted to hear what you Subaru experts have to say about it. The body is pretty clean for being from Alaska, and the interior is amazing.
So what all do people do to these to make a little more power? Any problems I should specifically look for before buying the car?
https://imgur.com/gallery/sZgMy
Last edited by FromTheNorth on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike-tracy

Re: Picking up a new Wagon!

Post by mike-tracy »

Fun car. But, it is a huge money pit. The auto transmission can go at any time. A manual boost controller (with a boost gauge) can be used to raise the boost from 9psi to 12 with no other changes.

Assume all the vacuum and pcv lines need replacing. Matter of fact that should be one of the first things done.

Is it Turbo'd or a factory turbo? I would stay from a ~25 year home brew turbo car if it's your first one.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
FromTheNorth
In Neutral

Re: Picking up a new Wagon!

Post by FromTheNorth »

mike-tracy wrote:Fun car. But, it is a huge money pit. The auto transmission can go at any time. A manual boost controller (with a boost gauge) can be used to raise the boost from 9psi to 12 with no other changes.

Assume all the vacuum and pcv lines need replacing. Matter of fact that should be one of the first things done.

Is it Turbo'd or a factory turbo? I would stay from a ~25 year home brew turbo car if it's your first one.
Thanks for the advice! Could you give me some insight on how much of a pain it would be to swap out all new Pcv lines and and vacuum lines? I'm willing to put in some work on it because my best friend knows I love this car and is willing to make me a good deal
Also it is factory turbo'd.
mike-tracy

Re: Picking up a new Wagon in Alaska!

Post by mike-tracy »

Here's a useful couple diagrams: http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/vacuum/

In addition, just do the normal maintenance items:

Spark plug and wires
Fuel filter
Replace valve cover seals as necessary
Coolant temperature sensor (very common issue, causes car to not run tip top)
Replace ATF (not flush!)
Replace front and rear diff oil
And any other general maintenance you do when you get a new used car.

If you haven't had a Subaru before, they need to have matching tires with very close to the same tread. If you run different sizes, or have an oddball or two it could lead to premature transmission death.

Also, the transmission can start to bind when it gets older. You'll know this because when you make turns, it'll feel like turning in a truck in 4wd, wheel hopping or pulling. There is a couple things to do (opening up the trans and replacing solenoids) but most likely you'll have to replace the trans.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.