Swapping an EJ22 into a 2005 Legacy GT?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

OTTERMATIC
In Neutral

Swapping an EJ22 into a 2005 Legacy GT?

Post by OTTERMATIC »

So here’s an odd question! I have my old 1993 Legacy AWD 5mt, love it, just finished pulling the engine out today to address some severe oil leaks and do the timing belt. Now, I randomly stumbled across a 2005 Legacy GT shell for very cheap, the only thing it needs is an engine and transmission... which I’ve just pulled out of mine.

I know Subies share a lot of parts, but how feasible is it to drop a drivetrain into a car that’s 12 years newer? I’d like to have a newer, cleaner body with more suspension options if it’s doable. The struts are shot on mine, along with all the bushings, and finding those parts is difficult now.

Thoughts?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Swapping an EJ22 into a 2005 Legacy GT?

Post by Legacy777 »

You're going to likely run into issues with the ECU and other various electronics and emissions systems meant for the 05 cars. Some of those things just didn't exist in the older cars and retrofitting is likely going to be challenging.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
OTTERMATIC
In Neutral

Re: Swapping an EJ22 into a 2005 Legacy GT?

Post by OTTERMATIC »

Yeah, I ended up passing on the 05. After doing a bunch of research, I figured getting the old engine to communicate with OBD II would be too much of a headache. Let alone all the extra emissions stuff.

Good news is, I’ve got my seals, timing belt, and clutch kit! I’m starting on the engine today, cleaning it up really good before I start taking it apart.