Taking a Little Trip...

FAQs, community and board information.

Moderator: Moderators

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taking a Little Trip...

Post by DLC »

As many of you are aware, SOA is introduing the new Legacy at the Detroit International Auto Salon this week. This will be a big upgrade from the 3G that we've seen around, in more ways than just the Turbo.

From friends in Japan who've driven it, i've heard that it's a very significant upgrade chassis-wise, and we're finally getting closer to parity with the Japanese models.

For this reason, SOA decided to invite some people from the online community to participate in the pre-public portion of the show to talk to some of the people involved, take pictures and what have you.

I've been invited, in no small part because of Legacy Central, to join in the festivities and see it first hand. It's not everyday that a corporation contacts you and asks to bring you to an event, and i was definitely taken by surprise at the offer.

I'll be back late this week with some pictures and some stories to tell, i hope :D
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Wow, they actually notice this small bunch of fanatics?!

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES
ericS2the6
First Gear

Post by ericS2the6 »

wow thats great! you must be very excited!

thankfully im only 30 min from cobo tho :P
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

ciper wrote:Wow, they actually notice this small bunch of fanatics?!
Yeah, wow!

Awesome, Dave. Have a great time.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Sweet! That is too cool Dave. Have a great time, take lots and lots of photos! :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

grab me a brochure :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I wouldn't mind a brochure also. I'll pay for hte shipping. :)
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

thats hella cool. Dave, bring an extra luggage and load up on brochures and other free items, I'd love some stuff :D
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

That's friggin awesome!!! I want to be recognized enough someday that I would be invited to a private unveiling... Consider yourself VERY privileged...

I too would pay for brochure shipping, as well as wanting to see LOTS of pics!
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hey, see if you can use all your clout to convince SOA themselves to send us all brochures! :)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That's awesome, I miss going to the Detroit show! Last time I went they had McRae's double championship Impreza there. :roll:

Its a little known thing, but I believe you can join the Universal Life Church (free mail-order minister, I'm one) and order a press pass from them (was $5) to go on press day without the huge crowds. But then there's all those damned journalists... :lol:

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

cool

Post by Tleg93 »

That is just too cool. I've already decided that I'm going to own one. I just hope it's before they are couple years old. I can't wait to see the photos. As of right now I haven't seen any kind of photo of the vehicles so it will be a nice surprise to see them.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You can request brochures from SOA online at http://www.need-desire.com/ now. Go to Menu->Legacy->Request Brochure. I just requested one.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

been there, done that, hoping to get the brochure :)

here's some more info from msn
http://autoshow.msn.com/as/autoshow2004 ... toshow2004
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Well, I got my Brochure today. There's not at a lot of new info but there's a couple nice wagon shots. Both the sedan and wagon are pretty hot :D .
Looks like they're already releasing a GT Limited with perforated leather-trimmed upholstery, power front seats and a power moonroof (hopefully this one won't leak :wink: ).

:twisted:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Got mine too. Very cool pics and stats! I'm really thinkin hard about this car! :D

I must say I really commend SOA for carrying out a halfway-decent marketing campaign on the 05 Legacy. It definitely appeals more to the avid enthusiast, rather than the masses. The Legacy has always been a cult car that is appreciated by a small, but loyal group, and I think SOA finally realized that and made something worthwhile of it.

Now if only they could overhaul the rest of their advertising in the same way :roll:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

mine arrived aswell, car looks hot

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I want my brochure
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

where are the pictures? Where are the stories? :(

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I have a lot of pics, but mostly what you've probably already seen. I'll put up some of the better ones tommorow, maybe :D

Stories? Not much to tell, had a great time with the other invitees and SOA people.

The worst part of the whole trip was my phone (tmobile sidekick POS) dying on me that morning, and finding that i couldn't make a long-distance call from any phones at Detroit Metro Airport. The $35 cab ride to the Hotel sucked, but at least the room was nice, as was the company.

I got separated from a couple of groups i was wandering with at the show, which is pretty easy given the size and fair amount of people.

Suprisingly i saw a few wall posters with the new Legacy sillouette, not to mention a billboard and the logo projected onto a building.

I could also arrange a brochure scan, if there was demand...

Here's a picture of the group, plus some of the SOA people:

Last edited by DLC on Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Oh, one of the highlights of the show was the Mini display. They had a few out front, three inside with a super Cooper-fied one in the back, and one hung up on display, with the Stars and Stripes roof.

The display was relatively small, but there were games on one side, and on the other side were four stations where you could customize your own Mini postcard to print out and email to someone, with all of the customization options available on the real car. It also took your picture for the postcard, and you could pick from a selection of passengers. After this, it would send the picture to a set of displays that went along both sides of the exhibit, 12 feet or so above the floor, and met at a larger screen that would show recent examples of postcards.

They had a live DJ spinning records, with some very, very good beats.

The best part was when i mentioned to one of the staff that it was the best display in the whole place. She then asked me if i wouldn't mind answering a few questions about their presentation...who am i to say no to a beautiful French-Canadian girl! After 20 or so questions, i was rewarded with a Mini pin, and a smile on my face :D

Legacy Central
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Cool stuff Dave.

Glad you had a good time :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT