locked threads

FAQs, community and board information.

Moderator: Moderators

greg donovan
Fourth Gear

locked threads

Post by greg donovan »

why so many? i have never been on a board w/so many locked threads. i can understand if the thread became offensive and/or innapropriate. or are the offensive posts being deleted before i see the thread is locked.

if the thread is really that unnecessary i would hope that we were all mature enough to ignore it. but i guess some of us are not. personally i kind of enjoy reading the bizzare and of the wall nut job threads they give me a good laugh.

greg
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: locked threads

Post by entirelyturbo »

greg donovan wrote:i have never been on a board w/so many locked threads.
Go to NASIOC and then rethink this statement :lol:

Some of us here are very blunt in the way we respond (everyone knows who I'm talking about ;) ) and they come across as offensive instead of to-the-point. Plus a lot of people don't seem to be using the search function lately and are starting threads about topics that we've already hashed over months ago.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i belong to another non auto board that just had its search function removed talk about annoying. plus it is so active a post put up this morning could be 4 pages back by that night if it didnt get more than a couple hits. this other board doent lock often but the have banned people for life!
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Most of the locked threads you see are locked because the conversation or topic isn't relevant anymore. There are a lot of those in the Stuff You Need To Know forum.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: locked threads

Post by JasonGrahn »

subyluvr2212 wrote: Some of us here are very blunt in the way we respond (everyone knows who I'm talking about ;)
Hey now! Oh, wait.. yeah, so what?

If the original question for the thread has been answered, and people continue to feed into the topic, taking it off on a tangent completely unrelated, well.. Lock it.

If the topic has been covered quite in depth already, well.. lock it (but at least i try and link something).

If it's a dupe thread, it gets deleted.

What it boils down to Greg, is to search first, search again, ask your question, then make sure your thread stays on topic. If these guys wanna bullshit about the sky is green or they like pink pajammas with butterflies and telephones on them then go right ahead. there's a time and place, and that's the ashtray. If an originally technical/technical based question goes to pajamma land, it gets locked instead of moving it to the ashtray.
-Jason Grahn
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i guess its just my nature coming out a little. i have never had a thread locked nor do i intend to stray off topic so much that it would be considered a threadjacking, thats what new posts are for. but i dont think it is neccessary to lock out every little thread that strays a little or someone feels is a waste of time. i am realy curious to know more details about the porsche engine thing. is the guy for real ir a fake if it is true how could such a thing happen.

how many times have we answered the same q on special stage about build vs. buy and what car makes a good rally car? a whole hellofalot. i enjoy answering it in fact. every time someone adds something new. i like to see threads grow and evolve sometimes.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

In the case of the Porsche engine stuff, a new thread would be completely appropriate, something in the Ashtray concerning it, but continuing to post on that thread about something barely related is pointless.

Maybe it's simply that we care about that here...promoting discussion but in the appropriate areas.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

tech. ?

is it more of a hassle to move a thread than to lock it?
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

OK we have enough info, I vote we lock this thread imediately before it gets out of control.

I hope my statement makes you all realize how silly this thread is in the first place...

Also, shouldn't this thread be in "site comments and suggestions" and not the misc.?

-Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

greg: if 1/4 of the post is about one subject, and the rest about the original, what sense would it make to move the whole thread?

Magicmike: Good point.
Legacy Central
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

About the 1/4 thing- if a good portion of the thread is off topic and getting a lot of responses you can always split the topic. That'd be annoying to do all the time though.

I think if a thread goes ot, and people still want to discuss it, just create a new topic for it in the appropiate forum
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I have looked at a few of the locked threads in other forums, and it'd be a pain to split a lot of them without the new topic just looking funny, and the old one dropping off unexpectedly.

We just roll with it.
Legacy Central
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

The Porsche thing was a joke and so is the author :D . I agree with locking the thread. I don't think I've ever read a locked thread and not understood why it is locked. I think that our moderators do a very good job with appropriately locking threads and explaining why if it's not dreadfully obvious. Keep up the good work.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

My 2 Cents?
This has to be the strictest site that I frequent when it comes to thread locking and Do A Search Nazism. But it is not my site, and I have no say in how it is run. So, I just accept the strictness. I follow the rules as they are enforced by the moderators and don't worry about it. If I ever take personal issue with a locked thread (which has never happened on any forum I frequent) I will just PM the moderator and discuss it. And as mentioned above, if there is content in a locked thread WE want to talk about, WE can just start a new thread on that topic. That Porsche thing was just way out of hand...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

you guys need to really chill.....hehehe

I don't think this site is very strict....I've seen much more strict. We however tend not to put up with much slack in certain areas. Each mod has their pet peeves....plain and simple. Merging and splitting threads is a real pain....which is why the bc-bf archives hasn't gotten too far with that....just a lot of stuff to go through....and I know I for one don't have an infinite amount of time, and I'm sure Jason and Dave don't either.

Roll with the punches, post a new thread in the appropriate place if you want to continue talking, and if you have a legit gripe about a thread being locked....pm us.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Legacy777 wrote:Merging and splitting threads is a real pain....which is why the bc-bf archives hasn't gotten too far with that....just a lot of stuff to go through....and I know I for one don't have an infinite amount of time, and I'm sure Jason and Dave don't either.
since we're on the topic of going off topic, my offer still stands for helping trim the fat off the archives, I don't do jack for hours at a time nowadays, and this would be something to consume my time :D
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

magicmike wrote:OK we have enough info, I vote we lock this thread imediately before it gets out of control.

I hope my statement makes you all realize how silly this thread is in the first place...

Also, shouldn't this thread be in "site comments and suggestions" and not the misc.?

-Mike
you know what? i missed that section. and didnt think to look here untill just now and saw that my post was here. i just wanted to know. i am by no means angry or bothered by it at all.i notice alot of you frequent special stage now too. that was one of the forums i was referring to. but they are generally a well behaved bunch that always politely answer the "what car should i build?" on a weekly basis. i like answering it. it makes me think. the do a search response is very frustrating. especially after doing a search and only finding worthless hijacked threads that use the words once or twice out of context to your search.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I like the compilation threads - chock full of proven useful information.

Searching anything else, however, is usually a waste of time IMHO.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift