Google AdSense

FAQs, community and board information.

Moderator: Moderators

Is Google AdSense a good idea?

Yeah, make the BBS support itself.
90%
No, i don't like any ads, no matter what.
3%
Maybe, i'll have to see more information.
7%

Total votes: 29

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I couldn't seem to find any concrete information on how much you get paid for the clicks and how many clicks per person per day count... apparently it varies depending on the advertiser and stuff. So I guess we should just try to do a reasonable amount of clicking and see what happens.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

One more quick issue. Can you make the ads open a new window, rather then just opening in the same window. I hate that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I usually use Alious or whatever it's called but I switched to Smartdark for the time being so that I can contibute, can you let me know when you get the ads up on the other themes Dave so I can switch back?

I like the ad placement so far too but second Josh's request that the ads open in a new window.

:)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I just noticed something cool with these... I'm getting the Canadian equivalents of a bunch of sites. Thats pretty sweet.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

The AdSense code is Javascript, and it's against their Terms of Service to modify the code in any way. I'd love to be able to have it open in a new window, but it's Google that's going to have to change something in order for that to work.

Thanks for the patience.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
ricochet
In Neutral

Post by ricochet »

Since I both use Adsense and buy Adwords, I can probably shed a little light on how payment is handled.

Myself and other companies 'bid' for specific words, such as "Legacy" or "Subaru Rally."

Depending on how much we've capped spending at for the day (which helps determine frequency), and the bids that are currently active, Dave will take in a percentage of the clicks: anywhere from .30 per click to 1.50 per click. Maybe more in busy ad buying seasons, maybe less in the off-times.

Other than simply placing the code, and maybe blocking certain advertisers, Dave doesn't have any control over the ads that are selected to appear. However, Google does screen them for content and there are lots of restrictions to keep things on the up-and-up.

Cheers,
Ryan Douthit
Subiesport TV
http://www.subiesport.tv
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I'd like a little more faith in the people on this board. I don't see there being any problem on here if you took donations. I don't see a lot of "what do I get" people here or my member # is lower crap.
I just really think we are better than that on here.

I also don't mind the ads at all, they don't get in the way. Good job with that.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Thanks for that input Ryan. I was really pleased when your ad showed up on the main page for me over the course of a few days. The ESX STI makes for a perfect graphic eye-catcher.

-K-: I do have a lot of faith in the members of this board, but rather than have them fund the site with their personal donations, I decided to give advertisements a try. The question was put to a poll, and everyone seemed in favor of placing the AdSense ads on the board.

So far I have been pleased with the results. I don't feel comfortable with giving actual numbers out, but I would like you all to know that it is working. I will not be financing a new car with the revenue, that's for sure, but the results so far are better than I'd expected.

Please continue to check out the ads, and click on something you like.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

So we're self-supporting now? Partway? Glad it's been a so far successful venture, Dave!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Yes. At this time, the BBS is supporting itself on AdSense.
Legacy Central
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Aww come on, give us some numbers :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
ricochet
In Neutral

Post by ricochet »

DLC wrote:Please continue to check out the ads, and click on something you like.
Dave
Just PLEASE don't continually click on the Subiesport Ads. Click on all the other guys... ;)
Ryan Douthit
Subiesport TV
http://www.subiesport.tv
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

The Turbonator, however, is fair game!
Legacy Central
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Sounds good to me. If it matches colors, then it probably won't be too obnoxious.I agree it should be self-sufficient.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Is the Ad Sense still working out well for the BBS and still maintaining it's self-supportiveness?
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Yes, things are working out well, and have remained pretty consistent over the last month.

Thanks for the support guys :)
Legacy Central
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

Hey, little update...is it working for ya still, dave? I may suggest this on SLi soon enough too, as our admin is having difficulty supporting the site on donations...

*click* *click* *click*
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I'm clicking
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

The click traffic varies from month to month as user activity ebbs and flows, so I can't say that it's consistent, but it does bring in enough.

I would suggest asking the users how they feel about it before adding them. Making the ads fit into the board is made easy by the plethora of color and size options in the AdSense configuration. Actual placement of the ads depends on how skilled the admin is and if there is convenient real estate on the page.

Finally, make sure he looks at the terms of service and understand where you can and can not put ads. The fewer the better, imo.
Legacy Central
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

its only a thought right now, but thanks, Dave :-)
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)