Off-Site Avatars

FAQs, community and board information.

Moderator: Moderators

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Off-Site Avatars

Post by DLC »

I'm not sure if this is a new feature or not, but i discovered an option to use an off-site avatar. What this basically means is that you put your avatar up on a site somewhere, then link to it. When someone loads a page here on the bbs, it will query that server and grab the image, saving us bandwidth and space in the process. Granted, many people don't have their own server space, but i'm sure something could be arranged that's similar to image hosting.

If i get complaints, i may disable it, so don't get too attached...

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'll be a stick-in-the-mud and preemptively complain. :)

I know they're limited to 6 kilobytes each, but there can be like 10 avatars on a single page to load. I use really old technology to access the BBS sometimes and it's very frustrating to have to wait long times for what should be blazingly fast (textual content). In my humble opinion avatars aren't necessary; people who have web space can put pictures up there and have their "www" link in their profile go there.

Oh, but there is one thing I'll take the opportunity to ask about -- can we somehow get a way to enter our cars' model/year into our profiles, to show up near where the location shows up? Kind of like a textual avatar... That could be very helpful when trying to diagnose peoples' problems and stuff, since it's easy to forget to specify whether you have AWD or FWD, or a turbo or a non-turbo, or ... etc.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I do understand that many people still have to use, or choose to use, slower dialup connections. I'm not sure how phpBB handles the avatar request, but hopefully it gets the relevant data first, then goes for the avatars. If so, then you'll be fine. Otherwise we might have problems.

I do have a bit of experience in PHP programming, but this board is pretty deep. I swapped the Submit and Preview buttons, but i don't know about adding info to the profiles. I'll poke around, no guarantees.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

DLC wrote:I'm not sure how phpBB handles the avatar request, but hopefully it gets the relevant data first, then goes for the avatars. If so, then you'll be fine. Otherwise we might have problems.
It's not up to phpBB; it's the browser that deals with it. phpBB just puts in an IMG tag into the HTML it produces.

The problem is that phpBB doesn't specify the dimensions of the image (presumably because it cannot know them because they are remotely stored), so the web browser can't properly render the page until it has downloaded all the avatars. That means that as they load, the whole page moves while the user is trying to read it. On small screens, like the 640x480 I use sometimes, the part I'm reading often disappears off the screen.
I do have a bit of experience in PHP programming, but this board is pretty deep. I swapped the Submit and Preview buttons, but i don't know about adding info to the profiles. I'll poke around, no guarantees.
Yeah, I looked through phpBB's code once. Scary. :)

This post on phpBB's forums looks relevant:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12426

Thanks, Dave.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well, if we can limit the size of the avatars that people upload would that take care of your concerns?

I'm not sure if there's something we can do to automatically do that, or if we just have to play cop for those that don't follow the rules.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

They're not uploaded; they're linked to, so phpBB can't really regulate them. Supposedly the size is already limited to 6k, but yours, Josh, is already over 13k...

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I don't see the need for them at all. Most members would want to put pictures of their cars, but at a resolution of 80 pixels by 60 pixels or less, all Legacies look the same anyway. This BBS from the beginning has been all about the content, and avatars don't really add any meaningful content.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Just see how it goes. If there is a problem, then some modification will be in store.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, that makes sense... Next time I have to use my older hardware I'll let you guys know how it goes.
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Nice!
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

There's also the possibility of using a rank-based avatar, which could be something simple.

I realized this morning that the local avatars would be limited by size in dimensions and kb, but that off-site would not fall under those same rules.

Most of these people play nice, we'll see what happens.

Dave
Legacy Central
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yaaaay!!! :mrgreen:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

hmmmm i got to find a good pic.
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

very nice
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Considering there's only about 40 real regulars on this board, and prolly only 70% of them will get a img (it will be a miracle if i take the time) I'm figuring there will prolly only be about 40 or so tags up. That's plenty to have stored in one's temp directory- any previously viewed image will instantly pop up again, and so the site isn't slowed.

I think the rare instances when someone is using a slow connection on someone else's computer is too rare to worry about. And if you get rid of them, we'll miss 91white-T's absolute gem.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I hate to be the difficult one, but I don't have enough room on my portable to keep a disk cache...

This page alone has over 40k worth of avatar images in it.

Hmm... I wonder if there's a way we can keep everyone happy -- perhaps a way for users to choose whether or not they want to see avatars?

I know that feature is probably not built into phpBB (unless it could be implemented by adding a new "board style" that was identical to subSilver but without the avatar placeholder in the template), and that Dave and Josh are adminning this BBS in their free time purely out of the goodness of their hearts, so I understand if it's not realistic to pursue the option. It looks like most people (perhaps all but 1 :) ) are quite pleased with the addition of off-site avatars.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Don't mean to burst your bubble vrg3, but I whore this place up from the comfort of my home at a leisurely 56k, and all avatars loaded pretty much immediately the first time...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hehe... Like I said, I'll try it and see if it's problematic. On a modem I usually connect at 28.8kbps, but there's also the concern of the computer itself being slow when rendering graphics.
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

28.8? ouch. i got a spare 56 you can probably have for free+shipping.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

vrg3 is scheming for your pity, so that we'll send him better hardware...

:D
Legacy Central
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hehehe... I do have 56k modems, but the phone lines don't always support it. As you may know, 56k modems aren't strictly analog; they depend on the phone company using digital transmission in certain parts of the connection. Up to 33.6k works on pretty much any telephone line as long as there isn't too much noise, but above that requires special stuff.
123c
Second Gear

Post by 123c »

I've got my Snow Man Avatar, so please don't ask me what it is supposed to be :lol:
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

123c wrote:I've got my Snow Man Avatar, so please don't ask me what it is supposed to be :lol:
:lol: That's just. . . . so wrong. :P
123c
Second Gear

Post by 123c »

Yukonart wrote::lol: That's just. . . . so wrong. :P
Well, I took that picture in Pullman last Winter when I was visiting my brother. A bunch of Drunk College students made it :D
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Off-site avatars are great... until the website it's hosted at can no longer be found :evil:

So I will experiment with other stuff from Google searches :D

Edit: I found one I'm happy with Image
Last edited by entirelyturbo on Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

would someone mind hosting my avatar? It's kinda funny....

*Edit- thank you brian, now my weenie-engine pride can manifest itself right next to my name.
Last edited by scottzg on Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]