Site

FAQs, community and board information.

Moderator: Moderators

ak_bikeguy
In Neutral

Site

Post by ak_bikeguy »

Hello Everyone, I was wondering if there is site like this for later model 95+ subarus. I have been looking for one for the past couple of days and I can't seem to find one. Are there any? Or should I just ask my question here and hope somebody will have knowledge in the area that I need help with?
Robert
Miki
In Neutral

Post by Miki »

Impreza GT (Turbo) Wagon MY96
Legacy 200 (Turbo) Wagon MY93
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You could also try the Legacy Discussion forum on http://www.nasioc.com/ for help.

But, there's a lot that the BD/BG Legacies have in common with the BC/BFs, and most of us here like to talk about cars in general, so you could try asking here too...
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I'm still at a loss as to why there isn't a site with content specifically for the 2nd and 3rd generation of Legacies. I've had the only "real" English Legacy site for over 4 years!

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

don't know......I put mine up in 2000 I think......does seem strange.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

ak_bikeguy - Just ask your question here unless it obviously pertains to 95+. These people know more about your car than Subaru.

Dave and Josh -
Well, I have a theory. It's the turbo that creates a fanbase that's up to its armpits in grease. Second and third gen, there's no REAL perfomance Legacy like the 2.2T - so there aren't as many people dedicated and excited about getting under the hood. Hopefully that statement will create some controversy!! :twisted:

If you took all the turbo owners away from this board, there would only be a handful left over (like me) who are wacky enough to be modding 10 year old grocery-getters. And consider that NA Legacys were the vast majority!!!
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The ultimate subaru message board has quite a few 2nd gen legacy owners on there. A lot of tech stuff carries over between models.....so just ask away......

Yeah I think the turbo car has more of a following....plus I think there's just something about the first gen legacy that sorta make it like a cult type thing......as with most of the older subies too.

BTW, I've only got a n/a car.......and I still like mine......when it doesn't act up. :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

You've really hit on an important point: Turbo owners are a big part of the 1G community. There are a lot of NA owners out there, but there isn't a lot they can do to get more HP with the old engines without bumping into costs that rival a turbo swap.

If i had my way, i'd rather have a 220hp NA car anyday over a turbo car, the comparison in the feel of the car from idle to redline is totally different and the powerband is much thicker. It would be an ultimate project of mine to get a Cobb Stage 2 engine and drop it into a BF. 8500RPMs screaming and enormous power everywhere. Turbos are great, but they're complex and finicky.

That said, i get much more enjoyment out of driving a 130hp 84 RX-7 at the autox than my tubby wagon with turbo and AWD. NA RWD is just FUN!

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
ak_bikeguy
In Neutral

question

Post by ak_bikeguy »

Hello, I have 96 subaru legacy L with 51,000 miles that I just bought. I like the car a lot and I think I got a good deal. THe car is in great shape and I really like it a lot. :P My question is I like it but it is kinda slow I'm looking for some ways I could make it a little quicker. I'm not talking some rowdy turbo or anything but that would be cool. I'm just wondering about exhaust, headers maybe, and intake. Also suspension ideas. I'm not that much of a mechanic but I do know some basics. Also where to get parts? I live in anchorage ALaska anybody know any good places to find parts? alright thanks a lot for the help, and I love the subarus.
Robert
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

First thing to ask yourself......what do you want to spend?

That is first and foremost as your budget will allow for what you can mod.

Some rather 'cheap' and I use the word loosely, bolt-ons.

Remove the snorkel in the fender. Get a K&N drop in panel filter....don't get an open style intake....they can cause issues.

Get some standard NGK copper plugs, good wires, I like the magnecor wires.

Underdrive crank pulley. Go Fast Bits sells a complete pulley set.

If you want more MSD makes an ignition for the car.

And there's also add-on ecu chips like the torque 2 and pro-ecm.

As far as suspension.....you need to ask yourself.....what are you looking for....better handling....do you want it to be lowered at all....or keep stock ride height.....etc.

A good option is to get some KYB GR2's with an upgraded 18mm rear anti-sway bar. Even with stock springs car did pretty good.......oh and larger wheels, either 15 or 16 inch and lower profile tires make a night and day difference.

You can pick up some used WRX wheels for pretty cheap usually.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ak_bikeguy
In Neutral

thanks

Post by ak_bikeguy »

Legacy777 thanks very much for the ideas. I do have a K&N drop in filter on the way. Will removing the silencer/snorkus or what ever its called make a difference or will it cause and problems? I also wondering about where to look for something like use wrx rims or also some of the other parts. I have had a hard time finding places to get stuff. Where to get used stuff? THanks a lot legacy777!!!!
Robert
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The snorkel in the fender is just that......it's a tube that goes high in the fender so that if you drive through high water you won't suck any in......there is also a resonator box in there to get rid of intake noise.

Most people like the intake noise, and don't drive through foot deep water, so removing the snorkel/resonator shouldn't be an issue.

For wrx wheels, check out the private classifieds on www.nasioc.com forums, also www.i-club.com too.

Other stuff.....well it's sorta hunt and peck. If you check out my site, I have some info in the vendors & links section. There are a few subaru specific performance vendors. Most don't list too much for the first gen legacy.....but a good portion of the parts can be used on it.

if you have specific questions about some parts, just holler.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ak_bikeguy
In Neutral

Thanks Again

Post by ak_bikeguy »

legacy777 you have given me some great ideas. I have looked at some of the sites you gave me and it seems finding some wrx wheels will be no problem at all. thanks very much. I'll keep you all up to date on what I decide to do and when finished and in process post some pics. :P thanks very much.
Robert
oh also legacy777 your legacy look really, really nice.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Just for reference, I purchased the WRX wheels and tires for my car for $350. It was a great deal because the tires, although shitty, only had ~3000 miles on them. Good luck!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Robert,

Let us know what you find, and thanks for the comments on the car.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT