Spark plug FAQ: NGK V-powers, not Bosch platinums...

FAQs, community and board information.

Moderator: Moderators

stan31337
First Gear

Re: Spark plug FAQ: NGK V-powers, not Bosch platinums...

Post by stan31337 »

Hello guys! Greetings form Russia!
What about NIPPONDENSO K20PR-U11 plugs? Some people say that they are better than NGK BKR6E-11... I even thought about installing BKR6EI-X11 ones... My engine is EJ22 and has 10 psi compression. What could you suggest?

Thank you!
Subaru Legacy BC2, EJ22, AT, 4WD '92
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

At the performance level of the EJ22 (even with 10psi), I wouldn't worry too much about the plugs unless you have a specific reason to believe they're hindering performance (as can be the case with Bosch Platinum +2/+4, which isn't a design used on any vehicle from the factory AFAIK). The NGK's are the safest bet, but it can't hurt to give the Nippon's a try. NGK certainly isn't the only good brand of copper plugs.

The iridiums (BKR6EI-X11) are overkill IMO. New cars have them largely due to eliminating plugs from routine maintenance, which is helpful as new cars tend to bury the plugs into ever more inaccessible places on the engine.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
stan31337
First Gear

Post by stan31337 »

Thanks a lot James614, I'll stay away from Iridiums, as they are expensive and ineffective.
Is there any way to clean plugs? My new NGKs (3 of 4) are covered with black dust after two days of use. Only the spark plug of first cylinder is in normal shape, a little red-colored. I made an introduciton about problems of my vehicle here.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I personally use MAF sensor cleaner and a brush, which seems to work very well.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
stan31337
First Gear

Post by stan31337 »

I have Carburator Cleaner and Brake Cleaner, which one will suit the best? Or I should get myself MAF cleaner?
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Either of those should work fine. I just use the MAF sensor cleaner because it's what on-hand, but any residue-free cleaner that's safe for cleaning metal/ceramic components should work fine.

If you use a wire brush, you may not even need a cleaner. Deposits from just a few days of running rich should knock off easily. I clean my plugs about once a year, and the deposits at that interval tend to be a bit more stubborn.

stan31337
First Gear

Post by stan31337 »

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! I'm really so happy that I've found this BBS!
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

can i use a step hotter in my subie. i had my mom pick up plugs for my car they gaver her a step warmer and they are out of the proper ones. and they wont trade with out the receipt
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would not recommend running a step hotter. I would go back and ask to exchange them for proper ones when they are available.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

Keeping this thread alive!
Was reading thru all the post, was trying to find out the gap for some new plugs I got.
I'll be taking them back now - NGK plats. I'm looking for performance, not longevity.
I plan on some minor racing (1/8th mile) on the 21st in my EJ22T swapped 89 RX and I havent changed the plugs since I dropped the engine in a couple years ago. I had the NGK V tops in it and they are done.
What I'm wondering is, I plan on mixing some race gas (I picked up some racing methanol) and should I think about a different heat range at 16psi and this fuel?

I forgot to add....one of the links above is bad (sparkplugs.com) but the site is still up.
They are advertising a new type of plug, what are your thoughts on them?
http://www.sparkplugs.com/learning-cent ... pulse-plug
89 RX w/2.2T
03 Fozzy
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Capacitive discharge has been around for a long time. I remember Nology Hotwires did that, but the capacitor was in the wire and not the plug. I know some products claiming benefits of capacitive discharge just outright lied about the effect the capacitor has. These seem suspect too... particularly, modern cars aren't known for things like misfires or incomplete burn of the fuel mixture. That would be a vehicle that ran rough with reduced power and fell flat on its face during emissions tests. On older cars, the worn ignition components that cause these issues will not start magicking super sparks because you change the plugs.

Even if what they say about the plugs is true, I'd say putting them in a car not designed for that type of plug is silly. Even the part they say about wear on the ignition system is a non issue on most cars, factory ignition coils are designed to handle way more heat than they generate ionizing the spark gap.

As far as the heat range, you should be fine at 16psi on stock plugs. I've never run race gas, but I doubt you'd run into issues during a series of 1/8 mile runs.

Turbone
In Neutral

Post by Turbone »

Decided to go with the same plugs. No sense in buying something that didnt improve performance.
Will post up race results in appropriate forum.
89 RX w/2.2T
03 Fozzy
Nohbdy
First Gear

Post by Nohbdy »

It's funny I got NGK iridiums for my 91 and she seemed to have some serious pep afterwards. I once had to get on it (petal to the floor) to avoid a head on collision not long after installing them and I swear I've never gotten a response like I did then ever before.
91 Legacy L (AT, FWD)-crashed 2/3/14
95 Legacy L (AT)
05 Outback XT (AT)
92 Legacy L (MT,AWD)
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I've been looking to get the idiums for my EJ20G. They are apparently very good, superior to platinum by quite a bit.

dafrompa
First Gear

Post by dafrompa »

Has anyone heard of brisk sliver plugs? I know sliver is a great eletric flow.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Never heard of it. Silver is a bit more conductive than copper, BUT, is it worth the price increase? You could buy them and let us know ;) I spend around $10 for a set of 4 ngk-v's and they last a couple years.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.