A guidline should exist of whats apropriate to post

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

A guidline should exist of whats apropriate to post

Post by ciper »

One of my threads was locked. The stated reason was that is wasnt safe for work.

1. Unless you work at a subaru dealer I see no reason you should be reading this forum at work.
2. Most companies have a policy about web browsing on company owned machines. Your in the wrong for visiting the site in the first place
3. The images that supposedly weren't safe had been intentionally placed in the image gallery, and at the BOTTOM of a post.

The images I posted showed NO nudity. I work in a corporate enviroment and I dont see these as being inapropriate if personal web browsing is allowed. In fact its common for co-workers and senior employees to ask me for a link when something similar is noticed.

I invite you to view the post, click the three links that and give your opinion.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14465

Honestly, if you need to hide your viewing of girly pictures then you must also be hiding car pictures. When would the Picture forum ever be apropriate?

Legacy777: Where have you said this before? If you read every post it cant be expected that we all do. You say you changed the link, but you changed it while it was still on the OLD HOST. I DELETED the entire message while moving them to a new host so I had no idea you changed it.
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

It sounds like Josh and the other admins are just trying to sensor it for a pg atmosphere. You know, something a child could look at with conservative parents over his shoulder. Anything else should probably just have link dropped. It's easy enough to click a link. <shrug> I don't know if it was ever stated, I think it was a while back when we were having avatar testing. I think you were absent at that time working on your car.

I don't think that kind of sensoring is too difficult from here on out. Hope you didn't take it too personally ciper.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ciper,

the way I handle my mod duties is pretty laid back. I also expect people to use some common sense when posting stuff like that. Images like the last three aren't exactly work safe or kid safe. You could argue the subaru chicks are on the border line....but whatever. If the pics are something you shouldn't be showing to a kid......the least you can do is make a disclaimer and put them in link format, rather then use the img tags....that way people can choose to open it when they go in the thread.

I don't think we need any formal policy....use you common sense and discression when posting.....if you have questions, let me know....

I'll let Dave or jason chime in as well
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Here's my 2 cents on it:

I don't know whether or not we need a formal policy. We're all pretty mature (or we can be :)), and in this case it looks like it was an honest mistake that caused the pictures to reappear.

Strict rules often tend to make people annoyed and also provide loopholes (witness adult entertainment in Japan). Rigidity is good in chassis design but probably not here.

About the content itself, many work environments do differentiate between different types of content. Even when personal use of the network connection is permitted, the nature of the use is relevant. Work environments are sometimes hyper-sensitive to sexual harassment issues; there are many examples of big brouhahas happening because someone hung up a pinup model poster or somesuch at the workplace.

When I worked in an office, it probably would have been okay if I had hung up a "Photos from the WRC" calendar, but it would probably not have been okay if I had hung up a "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Models" calendar. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that's how it is.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I have no problem with such pictures being viewed from this board (in fact, I wish I was Elmo in that patricular one :twisted: )...

But what I think should have been done is this:

[img]Pic%201[/img]
[img]Pic%202[/img]
etc. etc.

Cover the children's eyes! Not work safe!

Raunchy Pic 1
Raunchy Pic 2
etc. etc.

Of course I didn't see the thread before this whole thing blew up, so I don't know exactly what happened, but I agree that anything with some graphically sexual content should be linked to and notarized as such...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Makes sense. It was an honest mistake that I reposted the images. I was shocked that the thread was closed.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Like you said....sounds like an honest mistake......you didn't know I changed the pics to links, and when I saw them back as pics, I didn't know you didn't see them as links, and seeing that they had been changed back to pics is why it got locked.

I don't mind re-opening the thread, now that we are more clear on why it was closed and what is considered more questionable material.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

This has got to be one of the most mature forums on the web. Seriously. Everyone here is cordial to one another and we rarely get threads closed. What other site has re-opened threads after they were locked:lol:?

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: A guidline should exist of whats apropriate to post

Post by JasonGrahn »

Lets just establish right off the bat, i'm the damn king of locking threads. :D
ciper wrote: 1. Unless you work at a subaru dealer I see no reason you should be reading this forum at work.
2. Most companies have a policy about web browsing on company owned machines. Your in the wrong for visiting the site in the first place
3. The images that supposedly weren't safe had been intentionally placed in the image gallery, and at the BOTTOM of a post.
1. Makes no sense. Where you work has no bearing on the forums that you read.
2. Agreed. Until they fire me, i'll keep visiting.
3. Agreed. Good job placing them at the bottom.
It sounds like Josh and the other admins are just trying to sensor it for a pg atmosphere.
This is a good shot at what -i- am personally looking for. I whole-heartedly encourage cussing and shit like that, because that's how goddamned car people talk. But if some of our younger viewers get caught looking at naughty pictures, that makes us all look bad and maybe little johnnies car gets taken away. :(

My $0.02, If it's POTENTIALLY not work safe (use that not-so-common common sense!), then just post a link to the picture and a little note next to it that says "NSFW" or "not safe for work."

Seems good to me. Granted my post is a little late to the game, but thar she goes.

Oh, and my car is lowered now. I'll have pics soon for a different thread. :)
-Jason Grahn