the Ashtray and post count

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

the Ashtray and post count

Post by scottzg »

Can we not have the ashtray count towards our post count? I rely on post count to figure how much someone knows what they're talking about, and ashtray posts tend to muddy my stereotyping. It'd be really helpful, thanks.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcasm or not :D. With all the useless posts we make in all the other forums, going by post count means nothing. I'd trust JC's or kidatari's opinions on some stuff more than I'd trust Tristan's, on some subjects. No offense intended. Also too many Ashtray threads are in the Misc forum.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

I judge peoples knowledge by how much they BS.

The more intelligent a person is, the more they know what they dont know.

I trust people on this board who freely state when they dont know the answer, or make it very clear when they're just speculating.

vrg3 and BAC5.2 are excellent examples of this, although there are many :)
Last edited by Splinter on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

This is a familiar feature for those of you who are on the larger Subaru boards, like NASIOC. I have found a hack that should let me do this, but I'm not certain that it's worth the time and effort to install it (a complicated process).

This board has a continually growing user base, but the number of topics and users per day has changed very little in the past two years. I'll keep your suggestion in mind if this becomes more of an issue.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Maybe because we have a knowledge base of legacy and subaru info? We're big on the "search, dammit!" phrases and tell newbs not to start new topics without searching. So where else can we post? That's right, the Ashtray and the Misc forums.
That's just my interpretation of the situation.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Judging by post count is a horrible stereotype. It's very poor forum habit. Just because one has a limited number of posts doesn't mean they're a noob to the topic. For all you know, they could be a Subaru certified mechanic, but you rate them as a noob because they have like 200 posts.

As for searching, I find searching on phpbb to be horrible compared to systems like vBulletin or Invision. Telling new people to search doesn't work because matter of fact is, phpbb's search system does not work, nor does it have the smartness of an engine like google. I'm not saying we need to change board systems, but I do think that just telling someone to search is rather retarded.

I think it's absolutely worthless to just tell someone to search for something by telling them to "Search." WTF are they going to search for?

BTW, DLC, that mod isn't worth it. It takes too much time and what is it worth? People who know boards full well not to judge on post count. They look at join date and the quality posts they read.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Phpbb search works fine, better than invision anyway. Which reminds me, subsilver has the search defaulting to "any". Could you change that back to "all" again Dave? Join date means about as much as post count.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I have to agree that post count and join date mean little. I used to have the time to spend hours on here. Now I don't because my job has changed and I have so little free time anymore. Both of those have changed my post count, and my join date would have changed also if I had not joined sooner.

I have been around long enough to know who to ask what if I have any questions. That comes with time and reading posts.

As for the search function- it can be a blessing and a bane, as I have searched here, Nabisco and the RS25 forum and had success and problems on all three.

I just expect those with useful knowledge to chime in (as has always happened here) when questions get posted. I have not told newbs to search if I know where the information is ( a link will save my time typing and them time searching).

This is the best forum because no one flames, is an asshole, and there are genuine people with good knowledge who continue to help those around them.

Just keep up the good posts.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)