idea to fight spammers

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

rallysam
Fourth Gear

idea to fight spammers

Post by rallysam »

Have you noticed that most of the spam posts go under "stuff you need to know"?

I wonder if that's just because it's the first forum on the list. So, if Dave created a new forum above that called "Stuff you DON'T need to know" or something like that, then maybe all the spam posts would go in there and none of us would waste time looking. 8)
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah....we've been mulling over how to deal with the spammers.

That would work, but then you'd have a forum that is for nothing, and would add clutter....

Just my thoughts...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

True. No biggy either way, just thought I'd throw it out there cause it's a funny way to beat them :D
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
thefultonhow
Second Gear

Post by thefultonhow »

vBulletin has a feature called SpamBuster that quarantines suspected spam.
-- David

1990 Subaru Legacy L+ 4WD Wagon 5MT, white with 66k miles -- SOLD
[url=http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66214]1992 Infiniti G20 5MT[/url], White Sandstone with 175k miles
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Image verification I think is the best solution. Even iB has that.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
thefultonhow
Second Gear

Post by thefultonhow »

Image verification does not stop spam at all. We have image verification on the site I'm a mod on and still get plenty of spam -- but about 75-90% of it is caught by SpamBuster so it's not a huge issue to the end user.

The only bad thing about SpamBuster is it does flag a number of legitimate messages, which then have to be approved by a mod before they are visible to the forum. Small price to pay for no spam though, and it's not like the mods aren't notified about every post SpamBuster flags, so they can approve false positives easily.

The only two anti-spam features I've seen consistently work are IP blocks and SpamBuster.
-- David

1990 Subaru Legacy L+ 4WD Wagon 5MT, white with 66k miles -- SOLD
[url=http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66214]1992 Infiniti G20 5MT[/url], White Sandstone with 175k miles
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

One way to stop it would be for us to approve each new member, which is not really as time consuming as it would be at, say, NASIOC, but it's still a pain.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah.....there's not really too good a solution for this version of phpBB.

Hopefully the new version will have much better features.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm