THIS definitly should most likely be used without question

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

THIS definitly should most likely be used without question

Post by SubaruNation »

Last edited by SubaruNation on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

32 cents?

Inflation sucks
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

You say this like it would be simple, or easy, and like people wouldn't abuse it.

In the "rotating images" thread I have three simple requirements for the image and most of the time they can't make it work.

Want to show off your car? Make a flickr account, or I can set one up for you in the gallery, and put a link to it in your signature, just like I do. That way we don't have to wait for avatar pictures to load, and countless other issues that crop up with avatars.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

I think phpbb does an ok job at dealing with avatars. Ones limited to 6k and 80x80 are easy to load and easy on those with dial-up (I surfed forums like that for many years).

I wouldn't mind avatars, but there's no way to force someone to use a picture of their car. You could always just put your car's type in your signature...
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Every so often this comes up. I think things are fine the way they are. In fact, I like things the way they are. It puts the emphasis on the information exchange and not on who has the prettiest car. Putting the type of car/cars in the sig. works just fine and there is plenty of room for a link down there if desired.

I vote to keep pics out of the profiles and also out the avatars.

Dave does a great job with this site and lest us not forget - he does this as a favor to us. This isn't NASIOC where he's profiting. Just be thankful for what we have :).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As it's been mentioned, this has come up before, we have tried avatars, people abuse it, it takes a lot more managing from the admins...etc etc.

We're just not going to do it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Splinter wrote:32 cents?

Inflation sucks
wtf...?
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Last edited by SubaruNation on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

[q
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Sir or Mame',

Understand that the internet has it's downfalls in tone cannot be easily identified and as such we have to rely on text to infer tone. When words are typed in all caps it comes across as YELLING. Suggestions are also generally received better when posed as a question instead of a directly saying something should be this way. You did have the unfortunate occurance in that you asked about something that has in the past, been a very hot topic, with a very final resolution. One of which there is no give, the owner of the site made a decision and won't change his mine - which is well within his right to do so.

It is also acceptable to address multiple people in a single post.

The BBS is a very friendly and loving place. It is filled with volumes of information and good people. It is filled with warm hearted, smart, humorous - and often very sarcastic, individuals. Take a moment to relax and understand that you have entered a community that may be different than the norms you are used to and all will be well.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

A word to the wise...if you want to keep from pissing a lot of people off here, search before starting new threads and whatnot...
(hint hint: This topic has been covered before)

We ain't haters though...welcome to the BBS :D
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

Personally I love the fact that there's no avatars or huge Flashy rice banners at the bottom of peoples posts.

Makes for leaving the bbs open when the boss is around easier.
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

SubaruNation: As skid542 eluded to, you're taking the responses a bit too personal. My reply and that of others, including Josh's, were meant to illustrate the problems we've had before with abuse, and how difficult it is to get it working on a board with open membership.

NASIOC and i-club don't use avatars, though the latter does have some allowances, though they use a much more complicated (and expensive) forum software package. The avatars we use on the bbs right now are to denote distinguished members for one reason or other.

It's been talked about, tried, and abused. I would really like to be able to have avatars because I think it does add some flavor, but at present it's simply not feasible.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »