making room?

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

making room?

Post by SubaruNation »

i just noticed we have 3,800+ registered users.
now personally, i don't think there are that many people on here that participate and post.
we could save space (i dont know how valuable it is) by deleting some of the profiles of people that have not been actively involved on here in a "determined" amount of time.

so yeah :D, take it as you will

i dont know if you already do this but i just thought i'd get it out there.

The last time i posted in here i was internet assaulted so this is a courageous moment for me :shock:
ha ha
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The quantity of users just takes up lines in the database. I don't think those entries can used again, but I may be wrong.

Dave has looked into going to phpBB 3.0 in a little bit after it's been out and running for a little bit. When that happens, you may see some pruning of user accounts as the new version has more powerful admin tools.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I've considered it many times in the past. User accounts take up a minuscule amount of space compared to the actual discussions that go on. Space isn't much of an issue either.

3.0 has a lot of new features, and I'm hoping that it'll also let me prune users easily and check when a user was last active.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Any idea when we'll be using 3.0?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

I'd just delete users with 0 posts.
what changes does 3.0 hold?
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

There are a lot of users with zero posts, and I can't delete them all at the same time without a hack. Not too easy in 2.x

A comparison between competitors:

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/compare.php

A comparison with its predecessor:

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

3.0 has been through a wringer, even bringing in an independent audit company to give a review. It looks solid, but I'm always a bit wary when it comes to big upgrades.

Soon, but not too soon.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

eh, I'm not intimately familiar with phpBB. I used it once upon a time, but that board is long gone.
I've got Simple machines that I'm runing on one board and it was VB that I was admining until this morning
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I've used it in one way or another since 2000, and in the BBS since it's inception. It lacks a lot of features that vB and the others have, but it's also very much free, and very flexible.
Legacy Central
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Holy tim-berners-lee!
that is a CRAZY amount of difference! :o
there's only like 4 things you can't do in 3.0.

i'm with you about waiting for awhile, it's better to not pull a microsoft and initiate stuff before it's even completed.

i know that they do alot of beta testing though however, and if updates are easy then i might initiate it sooner,

and i dont know how bad our bot problem is (ha ha except for AMR Engineering) but if the new one incorporates the image verification, then that would make it harder for them to get in.

the one thing about that is the bots will enter the code instantly if they can like in less than a second. while a human logging in has to process 2-3 letters or numbers or a combonation of the two at a time and will take longer to log in.

Ramble complete!

:D
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Bot problem basically disappeared with one addition, and it wasn't Captcha. Look at the registration page and guess which it is.

3.0 looks like a winner, and I'll wait for a while.
Legacy Central
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

aaaaaaaaaaaah. :)
mmmkay yeah i never noticed that, or i did but i didn't think about it until now :?

good idea either way :D

yeah give it like what 4 months? 6 months?