Guides or how to forum

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

Redlined
Fourth Gear

Guides or how to forum

Post by Redlined »

Keep it locked so people cant post there and the mods can move How to do it guides (like the much discussed Coffee Cup Mod) there. This would give us a central point to look for write ups instead of filtering through x pages of *I installed my coffee cup today* and *How do I install my coffee cup* posts.
Dave

Post by smh0101 »

I agree. I know there are stickies for these, but still, they can be a bit of a bitch to navigate.

I'd be happy to start collecting the How-To Guides on here into individual documents to be converted to posts/threads.

The locked idea is definitely good. And maybe more in the obvious that the Stuff you need to know forum... its just a weird forum. It seems like more of a "Rules of the Forum" forum than it really is...
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

That actually might not be a bad idea. Maybe a giant sticky compilation thread in the "Stuff You Need to Know" forum.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Put a list of threads together and we will definitely consider it.

Try to make it a considerable number, like 15-20.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I compiled all the stuff I've installed at the bottom of my build journal thread. I made it more of a here's what I did and why than a "how-to" guide, though.

Sti suspension
Rear swaybar
Modified front struts
20mm front swaybar
ALK install
New Brakes
New Wheels
WRX radio
WRX seats
some worthless wiring upgrade
Hella Supertones
Driving lights part 1
Driving lights part 2

I need to go through some of them and fix broken picture links and I'll add some information too.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I found some examples of these types of threads on RS25 and NASIOC:

RS25

NASIOC
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

well, and all of scoobymods
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I'd rather have a Wiki, to be honest, but getting that and this to sync up is a little tricky.

Either way, having a list of threads with good information in one place will make dumping it all into a Wiki easier, if we end up with one.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I haven't bothered doing anything on the nasioc wiki even though there are a few things I could post.

Maybe a sticky for each subforum with links to various how-tos relating to that subject?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1430598

seems to keep things from being too cluttered or hard to search through.

Half our stuff would probably be straight from nasioc or scoobymods anyway.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I actually did most of WikiNASIOC's Legacy article, as it was pathetic beforehand.

Stickies are good.

I don't mind taking info from other sources, because it's all cross-pollenated anyways.
Legacy Central
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

I really like the sound of this. I'm always looking through 60+ search results and tons of scrolling for something I know is out there. This could also potentially weed out alot of the mis-information and debates that make things confusing.

Also - if these "How To"s are right there and easy to see, more people will browse it. Hopefully, this could lead to more people doing these mods/fixes and extending the joy/life of our cars.

Perhaps some "How Not To"s for those unfortunate mishaps that we can all learn from.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

+1 Please, thank you!
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

I would like to see a how to section as well. The "library" on the main page is great, but it's a bit outdated and it's missing some stuff. My contributions:

Crank Pulley Wobble

How to install poly bushings in the rear suspension

How to lower WRX seats in a Legacy

How to make poly rear droplink bushings

I guess the first two aren't pure How To's as there's some discussion, but the last two are!
SUBARUEHS Racing