FS Beautiful '92 Legacy Turbo / What is it worth?

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
labman
In Neutral

FS Beautiful '92 Legacy Turbo / What is it worth?

Post by labman »

Hi All!

It is with great regret that I must part with my Legacy Turbo. Details:

1992 Model, EJ22T, 5 speed, Silver with violet undertone, gray interior. Immaculate body and interior; no rust, only the tinest door dings and such. Power sunroof. Factory alloys with good all-seasons: 205-60-15. Pioneer CD player. New windshield.
Oh, and someone went to a lot of trouble to fabricate a custom trailer hitch for it. I was going to take it off and install it on my other car, but it's still there . . .

170K on odometer, less than 100K on motor. Serviced clutch, timing belt, oil pump, water pump, etc. when I installed a replacement engine ~ 5-6K ago. Original engine was running, but had a head gasket-coolant leak. Easy enough, but when I started in on replacement I found that it also had major crank axial play, ~2mm! Couldn't get the damned thing apart for bearing service (frozen wrist pins). Very fortunate to find low mileage motor (89K) from damaged '93 AT car. Haven't driven it too much since, to work once in awhile, a couple short "road-trips", and my little girl drove it to work while she was home from college last summer. Currently has leather front seats from '99 OB installed, which match the leather steering wheel, shift knob, and e-brake handle perfectly; look factory. These are heated seats; not hooked up, but I have all plugs and switches to make it happen. Missing a round tuit or two ;-)

This started out as a project car for FSP class autocross competition. After trying it out at a couple winter-series events (and getting a good look at the FSP competition; scary!), I decided to concentrate my efforts on my CSP MR2. Money from sale of this car will go directly to Project MR2.

Car runs and drives perfect, about the only flaw is a bit of wind noise from the passenger side window. Probably a bit of adjustment will fix that; another round tuit issue.

Extras not installed include:

Limited slip rear diff.
Set of 4 KYB struts with springs in good condition, ready to mount. (suspension components on car now are in good shape, tho)
Set of very good EJ22T heads (< .0015 out of flat) from original engine, Clean and ready to use.
Original cloth seats, also in great condition, if you want 'em.
Probably other various bits and pieces; another intake manifold, exhaust parts, ???

I have around $3,000 invested in this car, not counting my time. I'm thinking it ought to be worth close to $4,000; it really is something, doubt you'll find a nicer specimen. Anyway, show up with $4K and take it all away (sob!). Lesser offers absolutely considered; probable I can sell the LSD and struts separately, anyway, and put the leather seats into my Legacy wagon . . .

Anyway, what do you guys (and gals) think? Does this seem reasonable? Too much? Too little? Any feedback appreciated. Call or email: <jernigan@chester.uccs.edu>

ByeBye! S.
Steve Jernigan, KG0MB
Laboratory Manager
Microelectronics Research
University of Colorado
(719) 262-3101
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Post by shtbxr22 »

We need pics please!! :D
Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

1998 VW GTi VR6 5MT (SOLD)
1992 SS 4EAT Winestone (minus 2 gears/SOLD)
1994 TW 4EAT Quicksilver (blown up/SOLD)
2007 Legacy SE 5MT Satin White Pearl (Mine now :))
labman
In Neutral

Post by labman »

Hi!

If the sun's still out when I get home, I'll grab a couple. If not, I'll do it Friday.

Sorry I can't offer better response; trying to get all of my students thru their required projects and lab work before finals, week after next. Most of 'em are down-to-the-wire, naturally . . .

ByeBye! S.
Steve Jernigan, KG0MB
Laboratory Manager
University of Colorado
(719) 262-3101
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Welcome to the Board! :D

Were any of the seals replaced on the '93 engine when you swapped it in?

And, in case you're not able to get the pics up soon: You're selling a sedan, not a wagon, correct? Does the steering wheel have an airbag?
'94 TW
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

will you sell the KYB struts and springs that are ready to mount to me? I could even trade some KYB AGX with Eibachs for them.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
labman
In Neutral

Post by labman »

Hi All!

Here come some fotos. The sun was just dropping behind the hills as I was taking these, so they are a bit dark. Also, pardon the dirty car; we're still getting snow (~6 inches on the ground last weekend) and the dirt roads around the house are still pretty sloppy. I have tomorrow off, and will run the car thru the car wash and take some better shots.

Do note the difference in paint color between the Legacy's silver, and the silver on my wifes '02 Forry. The purple-ish undertone is less noticable in direct sunlight, but definitely there.

A1: No, no airbags. ABS equipped, tho, if that's a feature. I personally dislike ABS, and run with it disabled for the most part.

A2: I'd really rather have the struts go with the car. Probably cost-prohibitive to ship 'em anyway; 4 struts -n- springs probably weigh 80lb. I'll keep your email, and let you know if whoever gets the car doesn't want them.

ByeBye! S.
Steve Jernigan, KG0MB
Laboratory Manager
University of Colorado
(719) 262-3101
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Nice.

The 91 had the Bosch ABS, which I hear is better than the nippondenso units in the 92-94.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

Why does it have a 91 front end?

Edit: Are the doors from a 91 also? The handles arn't painted.
98 LGT
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

wow thats a dream come true...pre facelift front....post facelift rear....sex
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

chrome handles. thats a 91 wit post-tailights...me thinks
92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.
labman
In Neutral

Post by labman »

Hi All!

Funny I never noticed the chrome door handle before; they're all painted except the drivers door.
Given someones comment re the car having a '91 front, I'd imagine that the car was involved in a minor scuffle at some point, and someone used '91 sheetmetal and door to fix it. They did a nice job.
Looks like the car is sold; one of the neighborhood hooligans was drooling all over it yesterday; sed he'd come back with parents and coinage today.
I'll point him to this BBS if/when he becomes the proud new owner. Good chance he might want to sell the xtra parts; someone was already asking after the struts.

ByeBye! S.
Steve Jernigan, KG0MB
Laboratory Manager
University of Colorado
(719) 262-3101
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

it was me looking for the struts and springs.
I am still wanting dibs on them, if the person buying the car doesnt want them, send the buyer to me.
I will trade my Eibachs and KYB AGX for them as well. hate the way my car rides rough with them. want to go back stock.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k