MAYBE for sale... fully built EJ22T 91' Partout

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32

What should I do?

Fix the transmission...
88%
Part it...
6%
Sell it whole...
6%

Total votes: 16

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

MAYBE for sale... fully built EJ22T 91' Partout

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

I blew up my transmission today... So I'm in need of a car or a transmission, but am feeling out what the engine would be worth... if I do a part out *Deciding Factor*

I've flipping WAYYY too much to get it out of it, so I'm not expecting it out of it...

1991 EJ22T Block
EJ22T Crank
Wiseco Pistons/Rings
Scat I-beam rods
ARP cap bolts
super heavy grade block bolts

-Balanced Rotating assembly
-Professional machining * 20 over pistons*
-all new timing stuff/water/oil pump
-new oil pan
-new seals in heads, cleaned and valves seated and heads pressure checked..
-metal head gaskets
-Brand new head bolts
-Equal length stainless headers
-TDO4 Turbo, rebuilt..
-Pink Top Injectors, cleaned and flow-matched by Witchuner
-TMIC from 2003 WRX *I think* it fits.. no hammering.. (throttlebody was trimmed for better spacing
-New plugs/wires...
-Urethane Engine mounts...
-Relocated hot water-bottle and bracket
-Air Conditioning Compressor *works well, but charge is low, so it could be colder...*

I had 167,000 miles on car before rebuild, now i've got like 172,000

It makes me sad, but yeah I'm at a loss of what to do, this thing is a transmission killer!, it's got enough power to drop all teeth from second gear if you're not discreet with the clutch... and today, I wasn't I was having fun and kerunch! i've gone through all but the rearend on this car... all other bearins/suspension and interior are cherry... so yah, probably a sin to break such a car up... I dunno, if that's the case what's she worth whole.. minus second gear? I mean, i've three years of collecting parts, doing things right and TIME like a MOFO in this car.. I wasn't dating, so yah, this thing got all my energy... I started to count receipts *of which I have 95% of all my purchases.. *even fuel* and the parts alone were at $5,000 before I sorta slid the pile away and said that's good enough...

Let me know what you guys think?
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Blackbart
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Blackbart »

I have a good turbo 5mt with a bad center diff, gears are good.
Interested?
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Hmm, sure I'm interested... i've got two center diffs laying around here.. what are you asking for it?
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Dude, fix it or drop a $200 n/a cable tranny in there. It's a fast swap.

You've done all the hard stuff already.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Do the cable swap... My cable trannyi havedone 12.5inteh 1/4.\

keybordnt sogood
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

I was blowing transmisions in my mustang with reckless abandon, about 1 tranny every 3-4 races. Shredded third gear, twice one the exact same corner. Upgraded the gears, then started shearing the input shaft off. Two through-hardened shafts later, and thinking of buying a $3000 race tranny encouraged me to ditch the '6-puck' super yahoo racing clutch. That thing grabbed like a banshee, and was horrible to drive in the pits.

Point is, I put a heavy duty clutch disc with a stronger (than stock) pressure plate in place of the super aggresive clutch and have run 1.5 years without tranny issues. the clutch holds but isn't nearly as grabby and I don't break tranny parts anymore.

Interested in your results as I'm pulling my legacy tranny for a rebuild because ice-racing killed it. Would like to upgrade while it's out.
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
'87 Mustang GT roadracer, to many mods to list
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

I ended up changing to the stock clutch but with the upgraded pressureplate... that's what was in it when it died...
Blackbart
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Blackbart »

How does $100 picked up sound for the tranny with the bad center diff?
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Blackbart wrote:How does $100 picked up sound for the tranny with the bad center diff?
HMM, The price is right, but I wonder what would shipping be? During the peak pricey fuel time, I paid $250 for shipping Oregon to Missouri? Think you might be able to throw it on a pallet for me? Driving would probably cost about $200 for fuel.. IF i borrowed a car.. :P
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

douglas vincent wrote:Do the cable swap... My cable trannyi havedone 12.5inteh 1/4.\

keybordnt sogood
So why would the N/A 5-Speed be better than the turbo 5-speed? And why go from Cable-clutch to hydraulic clutch?

I think I'd prefer to have the turbo trans, unless subaru somehow made the N/A boxes massively stronger? or is it just $$ to strength ratio?

*yes I've just hijacked my own thread..* lol
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I just realized who you were....

So you blew up the damn kleinkid tranny? What went bad?
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

douglas vincent wrote:I just realized who you were....

So you blew up the damn kleinkid tranny? What went bad?
2nd gear... It died.. the rest of the stuff is fine, I dont think I cracked the case this time...

I didn't think it'd break the teeth off this time with my stock clutch and ACT pressure plate... I was going through the gears a bit quickly and second gear said; *POPGROWL!* I'm thinking it's my fault, not your gearbox having an issue... It's that damned right foot! :P
Blackbart
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Blackbart »

Legacy Rally Guy wrote:
Blackbart wrote:How does $100 picked up sound for the tranny with the bad center diff?
HMM, The price is right, but I wonder what would shipping be? During the peak pricey fuel time, I paid $250 for shipping Oregon to Missouri? Think you might be able to throw it on a pallet for me? Driving would probably cost about $200 for fuel.. IF i borrowed a car.. :P
I have a pallet here I can put it on, do you have a shipper that can pick it up?
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Blackbart wrote:
Legacy Rally Guy wrote:
I have a pallet here I can put it on, do you have a shipper that can pick it up?
I'll ask a friend that ships mostly engines and transmissions... I'm not exactly sure how it works..
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Well, I threw my vote in above if it matters. :)
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

You should've known this was an issue with Subaru's. As soon as you hit the magic number in torque you start shredding transmissions. You either have to run a stock clutch and flywheel and be really nice to your clutch, turn down the power, or upgrade your transmission. Some people never have problems and some people have gone through like 8 transmissions. It seems to be more of an issue of when than if it will strip your gears.

Considering the money you have spent upgrading this car, you will lose more money selling it or parting it out then you will upgrading and fixing the transmission problem.

6MT's can be had new from the dealership for $3,800 or so I hear, I saw one used on Nasioc for $2,000 a while back. That transmission will never blow gears or input shafts. So it's like you either spend the $4-5,000 on that transmission now or tons of time and many cheap transmissions. You could go with a Mfactory of PPG gearset but that's going to cost you nearly just as much and then you don't get the limited slip front diff or the DCCD, or the 6th gear! The 6MT is a great deal. I would do it right and drop in a 6MT. Call around and try to get a JDM one from Japan, try to get a good deal. Scavenge around and work hard at it. Maybe you'll find one for cheap.

Don't sell the car whatever you do because although it sucks you've put all that work into it - as soon as you sell it your going to want another car and you'll end up doing all the same work over again! You've already loved this car and you know every bolt on it. Why sell it? You'll regret it. Everyone does.
-Doug Wilson
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

dropdfocus wrote:Well, I threw my vote in above if it matters. :)
Well, it certainly is nice to see where the voting is going.. Either we're all insaine or you're all a very supportive bunch!

Thanks guys.. I'm probably going to change the title to this to, "No longer.* "
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

GodSquadMandrake wrote:You should've known this was an issue with Subaru's. As soon as you hit the magic number in torque you start shredding transmissions. You either have to run a stock clutch and flywheel and be really nice to your clutch, turn down the power, or upgrade your transmission. Some people never have problems and some people have gone through like 8 transmissions. It seems to be more of an issue of when than if it will strip your gears.

Considering the money you have spent upgrading this car, you will lose more money selling it or parting it out then you will upgrading and fixing the transmission problem.

6MT's can be had new from the dealership for $3,800 or so I hear, I saw one used on Nasioc for $2,000 a while back. That transmission will never blow gears or input shafts. So it's like you either spend the $4-5,000 on that transmission now or tons of time and many cheap transmissions. You could go with a Mfactory of PPG gearset but that's going to cost you nearly just as much and then you don't get the limited slip front diff or the DCCD, or the 6th gear! The 6MT is a great deal. I would do it right and drop in a 6MT. Call around and try to get a JDM one from Japan, try to get a good deal. Scavenge around and work hard at it. Maybe you'll find one for cheap.

Don't sell the car whatever you do because although it sucks you've put all that work into it - as soon as you sell it your going to want another car and you'll end up doing all the same work over again! You've already loved this car and you know every bolt on it. Why sell it? You'll regret it. Everyone does.
DAYUM, now that's information!

Thank you very much,

Ken

Yup, I think I'm going to put a stock clutch and pressure plate in it and be nice to it and start saving for the six speed...
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I think folks may be saying N/A cable tranny because Legacy versions should be 4.111 final drive.

You can convert a N/A cable tranny to hydro all you need is the N/A slave cyl off a Rs, & the hydro T/O bearing fork.
You already have the pedals & master.
But
You'll need a N/A flywheel & clutch set-up + rear diff for this to work

I feel your pain as I also ripped all teeth off of 2nd gear on my red wagon back in '04 while driving like an old lady (about a week before the de-toothing I was really beating on the car)...

Blackbart's $100 tranny sounds good!
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD