FS: 1990 Legacy Wagon w/EJ22T Turbo Swap

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
wtdash
Fifth Gear

FS: 1990 Legacy Wagon w/EJ22T Turbo Swap

Post by wtdash »

Asking: $1995
PICS
Decided to keep the Forester and sell the Legacy. I'm willing to travel (w/a downpayment) and if you want more pics let me know.

Specs:
-1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD, Mica White – VIN# JF2BJ63CXLH926492
Features/Options:
- Current miles on odometer/body/interior- 175K
- EJ22T has 155K miles (see below)
- Turbo 4-speed Automatic transmission -4EAT (see below)
-Power windows, door locks, tilt steering wheel with memory reset, Rear window defroster, tachometer, tilt steering wheel, truck/cargo area light
- Cruise control
-Rear window wiper
- A/C - (not converted) - works!
- Stock am/fm/tape stereo WITH INPUT JACK; Upgraded speakers (can't recall brand) - NOTE: AM/FM button works intermittently.
- NO ABS
- NO Airbags

Upgrades, Modifications, etc.:
Engine Swap @ 155K miles:
– EJ22T from a ’93 Legacy SS w/134K miles
- PREMIUM FUEL REQUIRED
New @ time of swap:
– Timing belt and pulleys (not tensioner)
– Water pump
– Cam seals – front and back
– Valve cover seals
– Rear oil separator plate
- Plug wires - Just replaced w/NGKs as one broke!
– Updated knock sensor from ’95 EJ22
– Lightweight (not underdriven) crank pulley
- Coolant sensor (Napa)
- Oil pressure sensor (Napa)

Additional items during swap or immediately after:
– Intercooler – topomount from an ’06 WRX
– Fuel pump –STi – 60K miles?
– Diamond coil pack
– Turbo – TD04 from a WRX w/less than 10K miles
- Catch-can: Routed from rear of block to catch-can to PCV valve in intake.

Other engine-related items:
– Stock Pink Injectors
– Stock plugs gapped @ .040 - <10K miles
– New O2 sensor - 10/09
- Grounding mod
- Throttle body bypass mod
– Custom intake and 45 degree airbox from '98 OB summer '09.
- Battery is approx. 2 years old.
Exhaust:
– 3" Bell mouth downpipe from eBay - extra unused bung
– STi mid-pipe and axle back w/STi muffler
- No catalytic converter
Suspension:
– '06 WRX Wagon Struts - approx. 50k miles
- 3/8" Saggy Butt spacers in the rear
- STI front transverse link bushings/Control Arm Bushing
Tires:
– 205/55R-16 Dominator brand "All Season 55" model tires (Manufactured by Cooper Tires as a private label brand)
- Wheels - Fugly - They are off a FWD '92 Olds Achieva and the offset is wrong- online I found it could 40MM vs. the stock 50+
- Upgraded 16" Spare
Brakes:
– 6/09 front '04 WRX calipers/rotors; Rear '93 SS calipers/vented rotors
- Hawk pads in front; newer pads in rear (unknown brand) - both 50%+ pads left
– SS brake lines on front
- SVX 1 1/16 bore master cylinder (non-abs)

Automatic transmission - installed 7/07 @ 138K miles:
– 1991 (?) Legacy Turbo 4EAT – unknown miles - but prev. owner said it was rebuilt - looked super clean
– ’91 Legacy SS Rear VLSD differential
– Tranny cooler installed 07/09 (disconnected during winter)
– New Duty C solenoid/ 31942AA090 Valve Assembly- transfer clutch 4/08 @ 146K miles
and filed down grooves on rear output shaft .
– Center Diff lock switch installed (locks center differential for 50/50 torque to front and rear axles)
– Power mode switch installed to keeps AT's Power (green light) mode on unless Cruise is engaged.
- New/reman'd. left front CV axle @ 150K miles
- Front driver's side wheel bearing replaced @ 145k miles

Misc:
– Boost gauge
– ’91 Legacy SS Hood w/scoop- NON-matching- Pearl White (repainted from original red)
– Manual Seat Belts – from a ’91 Canadian Subaru Legacy
– '98 (?) Outback front seats w/height, recline and lumbar adjustment - (original seats avl.); stock back seats
– Jack - Outback jack stored @ front of spare tire wheel well
– Rear cargo mat – from ’96-99 outback
– Rear air deflector – ’97 outback
– '98 OB Windshield washer tank w/dual pumps for IC sprayer (sprayer not installed)
- No known coolant or oil leaks
- 25 mpg highway/20 mpg in town - DEPENDENT on YOUR driving habits!
- Dash switch wired for front fog lights, etc.
- Compression info: 150 on Cylinder #4 w/a WARM engine and OPEN throttle.....comp. tester broke testing #2, so I went to Autozone to borrow one. It got stuck in the plug hole, but I was able to fish it out.....so, I gave up. 2 weeks ago I did it on a COLD ENGINE and a CLOSED throttle, and they were all 125 across the board, so I feel confident that the compression is w/in spec.
- Oil Usage: Appears to burn thru a QUART about every 1500 miles.

- Revtronix info: I've decided to remove the chip and JECS MAF and 440s. The car wouldn't hold the Octane Factor/OF (basically knock) w/the latest chip I've been using. Once it drops to below 50% the car is noticeably slower, as the timing is retarded. As a test, I DID run the car w/the knock sensor relocated to the top of the bellhousing, and OF stayed @ 100%. I checked the plugs and they looked fine. But I'm not comfortable selling the car w/the KS relocated, and I don't want to sell it w/the chip installed, but not running properly due to the low OF, so it's not installed nor included in the sale. PREMIUM FUEL STILL REQUIRED.

History:
-Car purchased locally in Feb. 2007.
- Replaced transmission in July '07 due to seals going out.
- Replaced stock struts w/Outback struts Summer of '07 and upgraded to 15" wheels/tires.
- In 2008, after spending too much time on the LC BBS, decided a turbo swap was in order. Bougt a '93 SS, w/a bad (and wrong) transmission, and swapped the engine 'as is', other than a tune-up and T-belt/pulleys/water pump update. This was my 2nd Subaru swap (pulled the engine on an Outback), and I've worked on my own cars over the years, but this was definitely the most ambitious project.

- Back on the road 11/08. Ran it in stock configuration for a few weeks, then did the TD04/TMIC upgrade along w/a 3" TBE (downgraded to a 2.5" STi exhaust from the downpipe back - 9/10). Added an MBC and a FCD to run it @ 14 psi.
- 02/09 - Revtronix chip install and upgraded the fuel injectors/MAF. See Revtronix Info below.
- In Summer of 2009, Thanks to Mr. Lee/Skid542, got into Auto-X and put on WRX Wagon Struts and Brakes. (Did about 4 AutoX weekends w/car.) Car is firm w/out being jarring and rides/drives well. The STi ALK bushings cause it to have a quicker turn-in.
- Car has had multiple turbos installed while using the Revtronix chip: VF39, TD05-16G, JDM TD04, VF30, etc. Probably should have kept the VF39, but decided the TD04 was best @ keeping turbo lag to a minimum, and since Revtronix is MIA, I couldn't get a chip tuned for the other turbos anyway.
- I've used an Innovate LC-1 wideband and the car has always ran <11.5 AFR. The downpipe has an unused bung, if needed.
Driving It - Condition:
- Car runs/drives/idles/cruises well. Transmission shifts well.
- No loud clunks/rattles. Other than some wind noise aroud the driver's side window, car is pretty quiet. The exhaust manifold heat shields make noise when car is cold, quiets down once warm?? STi exhaust is probably too mellow for you 'wanna be seen AND heard' types. :-)
- Everything works -for the most part - see Noted items and "The Bad" below.
- EDIT: Replaced Brake pads and has helped w/the braking issue
- Interior is in good>>very good condition. Other than some broken plastic trims pieces and the headliner (due to manual belt install), it's still fully functional. I'd give it an 8+.
- Exterior is showing its age (those wheels don't help) w/numerous dings/dents and a few rust spots - See The Bad. Rate it a 5.

Other:
-Car has been in Spokane, WA area most of its life. They do spray the roads in the winter time, but not like cars I've seen from back east. Car has some rust spots and one bondo repair, as noted below. Underneath the car isn't too bad to work on.

The Bad (see pics):
- Damaged passenger front fender
- Bottom left Driver's side fender rusted out - I sanded/bondo'd/primered/painted. Looks OK @ 20 feet but up close U can tell it's not sanded down smooth enough.
- Driver's side headlight cloudy/oxidized
- Rust on driver's side front fender; over rear fender; a couple spots on roof near windshield; other 'imperfections' - Most but probably not ALL exterior or interior issues shown in pics.
- Edit: Replaced brake pads,which helped.
- Due to manual seat belt install trim doesn't cover headliner correctly (didn't swap out headliner)
- Rear hatch handle and lock gets stiff in colder weather when key is used - still works normally from driver's door switch.
- In really cold weather, less than 10°F, the car starts fine but a relay clicks and the car's idle oscillates a few hundred RPM's 'til warm. It did this before the turbo swap and after. I replaced the Heater Relay (?) behind the glovebox, but didn't help.
- Plastic cover under driver's side dash has broken tabs and mount points
- A few stains in front, rear carpet in cargo area, and in back seats
- Passenger and Rear windows are slow to lower/raise from the driver's window control...work OK from their own controls.

A HUGE Thank-You to Josh/Legacy777, Lee/skid542 and many others for their assistance w/the swap and answering all my questions over the last couple of years!
Thanks for looking and BTW, I have 100% Positive feedback on Ebay - wtdash.
Last edited by wtdash on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
skid542
Fifth Gear

Re: FS: 1990 Legacy Wagon w/EJ22T Turbo Swap

Post by skid542 »

This is a sad, sad, sad day Todd and I hate to see you put it up for sale but I understand why. Hopefully you won't be a stranger even though you're leaving the Legacy world.

I've personally seen and riden in this car many times and it is a strong car with lots of life and future left. Todd is also one of the most honest guys you'll ever buy a car from.

Best of luck with the sale my friend!
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Thanks Lee -

I'm still rocking the EJ22T in my Foz, so I'll be around.

:-)
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

sad to see her go, I would buy it if I didnt have mine.
I second Lee's credits towards Todd and his car!
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Bump....
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD